Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - JJ is still here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It's sounding more and more likely like Bjugstad might be the player moving out rather than Rust. Both names are surfacing but according to Josh, Bjugstad's is a lot more frequent & increasingly so.

So this begs the question, assuming another pivot doesn’t come back if Bju is moved, can Palve compete for a bottom six center spot?

Have you watched any film on him?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
It's sounding more and more likely like Bjugstad might be the player moving out rather than Rust. Both names are surfacing but according to Josh, Bjugstad's is a lot more frequent & increasingly so.

I'd be fine with giving up Bjugstad, less so Rust.

That does raise the question of Centers though.

I assume that it would be Crosby - Malkin - McCann - Blueger

Reactions: KIRK and Riptide

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Sid played there in junior... You throw something at Sid and he'll adjust and make it an asset.

Works for me too. Intrigued to see how they set it up.

My point was more that unless we’re putting Jake at the bumper or net, I think Galyenchuk is better suited than he is to play the perimeter on the PP.

Reactions: Burn

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
@Peat

This going to come across as condescending, but did you not watch MoJo during the playoffs? He was arguably the best deadline acquisition.

The only concern is his health. He's been plagued by concussions over the years.

Reactions: Riptide

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
That's too bad. I like Bjugstads game.

I think Hornqvist brings back the best return and he doesn't fit this team at all anymore.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
That's fine, but you need to maximize the return. Absolutely have to. You can't just offload him for picks. Get either a PMD or a lower-salary forward. Or I suppose some picks that you can flip for those kinds of players

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
That's too bad. I like Bjugstads game.

I think Hornqvist brings back the best return and he doesn't fit this team at all anymore.

In a vaccum I agree he would but not with that full NTC.

I am worried about Horny because we can’t afford to be saddled with his deal if he falls off but still fairly confident he’ll be back to himself this year.

If/when he is back that’s a very good player.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It is pretty difficult to assess this team right now. This is not the finished product in terms of roster, so this next series of moves is critical for the team's outlook in 2019-20. I am not convinced we can make the playoffs. We need another big move to bring in more offense to offset what was lost in the Kessel trade. A happier room will only go so far.

But maybe the best thing for this franchise right now would be to miss the playoffs. New coach coming in, almost certainly, perhaps even a new GM. I don't have a lot of faith if we replace JR from within, though. I would pluck someone like Al Murray from Tampa Bay. He is a pure scout, which might be what this team needs now. We are not going to find a GM who trades better than JR. We definitely can find one with more patience, who emphasizes the draft way more and who is better on July 1. I don't know if Murray is that guy but I would certainly put him on the list of candidates. Trevor Timmins from Montreal is another guy I would look at.

These are interesting times.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
@Shady Machine

Not sure if this has been addressed or not in the old thread before it maxed out, but just in case...

Rust over the past two seasons has scored 25ES goals. Tanev without the benefit of playing with elite centers has scored 17ES goals. 8 goals isn't going to make a massive difference - and that's not taking any sort of consideration with regards to their center's into account.

8 goals is probably 6 points in the standings, all else equal. That could be fairly significant. Add in Kessel out and Galchenyuk in and we could be looking at 15 less goals.

Obviously there are a lot of moving parts here but I’d say it’s fair to be a tad concerned if Rust moves out.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
@Peat

This going to come across as condescending, but did you not watch MoJo during the playoffs? He was arguably the best deadline acquisition.

The only concern is his health. He's been plagued by concussions over the years.

I didn't. And maybe I'd feel differently if I had.

But again on the L/DL/S - both Coyle and Heinen were better away from him during the playoffs. Not much, but a bit.

Maybe if I'd watched I'd know how this was a fluke and I'm open to the idea that maybe it was. But it does tie into what I'm seeing, which is that Marcus Johansson is a skillful useful player who does good things but will probably make your team a little worse at 5v5.

Incidentally, I only ever saw those stats because I too was thinking he could be a good fit with Malkin if were looking to get him some cheap skill. And maybe he would with the right partner here. But it is a pretty big red flag imo - and what's more, do we need him with Galchenyuk here for a pure skill option?

8 goals is probably 6 points in the standings, all else equal. That could be fairly significant. Add in Kessel out and Galchenyuk in and we could be looking at 15 less goals.

Obviously there are a lot of moving parts here but I’d say it’s fair to be a tad concerned if Rust moves out.

Fwiw, Evolving-Hockey's model has 8 goals above replacement only being worth 1.4 wins.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Do you mean team asking for him or just what people are hearing?

Id also like to get your take on McCann at C because i thought he was much better on the wing and kinda like Bjustad

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
In a vaccum I agree he would but not with that full NTC.

I am worried about Horny because we can’t afford to be saddled with his deal if he falls off but still fairly confident he’ll be back to himself this year.

If/when he is back that’s a very good player.
Maybe he'll okay Minnesota and a trade can be worked out for Zucker.

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
Do you mean team asking for him or just what people are hearing?

Id also like to get your take on McCann at C because i thought he was much better on the wing and kinda like Bjustad

The whole Bjugstad thing bums me out because I think he's ultimately the solution to our 3C problem. His even-strength goals pace last year was really good in the short sample size he had. Rust's penchant for going on long streaks of not scoring is becoming a recurring theme. I like McCann at wing a lot better, like you.

I haven't heard anything about who is inquiring where, other than Bjugstad's name is the one that comes up with increasing amounts of frequency.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
The whole Bjugstad thing bums me out because I think he's ultimately the solution to our 3C problem. His even-strength goals pace last year was really good in the short sample size he had. Rust's penchant for going on long streaks of not scoring is becoming a recurring theme. I like McCann at wing a lot better, like you.

I haven't heard anything about who is inquiring where, other than Bjugstad's name is the one that comes up with increasing amounts of frequency.

Bummer

Reactions: Riptide

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It is pretty difficult to assess this team right now. This is not the finished product in terms of roster, so this next series of moves is critical for the team's outlook in 2019-20. I am not convinced we can make the playoffs. We need another big move to bring in more offense to offset what was lost in the Kessel trade. A happier room will only go so far.

But maybe the best thing for this franchise right now would be to miss the playoffs. New coach coming in, almost certainly, perhaps even a new GM. I don't have a lot of faith if we replace JR from within, though. I would pluck someone like Al Murray from Tampa Bay. He is a pure scout, which might be what this team needs now. We are not going to find a GM who trades better than JR. We definitely can find one with more patience, who emphasizes the draft way more and who is better on July 1. I don't know if Murray is that guy but I would certainly put him on the list of candidates. Trevor Timmins from Montreal is another guy I would look at.

These are interesting times.

No idea how anyone could know what this team will look like given all the new faces.

I have no idea about Palve, I never knew The Kahuna guy existed, AG I’ve only watched casually, same with Tanev.

Rust or Bju will also be gone, no idea how that will effect the lineup.

Will JJ be moved with one of them?

There are so many new faces and the lineup is still evolving, that I have no clue how anyone could make any solid statements about it’s potential right now... except of course the enduring negative posters, they just find reasons to marinate in their own misery.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
If they trade Bjugstad, they have to be getting a center back in return. I have a bad feeling though that Matt Cullen comes back as the fourth line center and TB moves up to 3C.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
We spend two years looking for a 3c, the team finds one and now wants to trade him away. Man, its just going to create another mess.

But we have this guy. Who needs a 3C when you have this guy?

upload_2019-7-3_8-50-31.jpeg

Reactions: KIRK and Tom Hanks

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Call me crazy but if we go with a left shot there I think I’d put Galyenchuk in the Phil spot over Guentzel.

why? Guentzel is a far superior player. Ice the best players on PP1.

I would actually just put Guentzel in Hornqvist's spot. Move Schultz to Phil's spot and have Letang as the QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad