Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - JJ is still here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I think Tanev is going to be Sully’s fav player. He’s def playing in the Top 6. I like it, healthy competition between him and Rust.
Tanev scored 29 points last season there's no reason why he should ever play in the top six unless an injury occurs. McCann is way more consistent of a scorer and a threat on the ice, HE should get a top six shot.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I just think that if you dump JJ and clean up some excess same ol same ol with Simon and ZAR and then give horny a home where he is used in the top 6 like he should...we have a spot and cap to get Gusev at 2yrs 4m per.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Tanev scored 29 points last season there's no reason why he should ever play in the top six unless an injury occurs. McCann is way more consistent of a scorer and a threat on the ice, HE should get a top six shot.
*Sully Says hold my beer while he pencils him in with time With Geno and Sid*

Reactions: Son Goku

Bruru71

Jun 25, 2014
I just think that if you dump JJ and clean up some excess same ol same ol with Simon and ZAR and then give horny a home where he is used in the top 6 like he should...we have a spot and cap to get Gusev at 2yrs 4m per.
Hornqvist has complete ntc for next 2 seasons. Then a modified ntc in 21-22 and 22-23.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
He needs to be better this season or this is probably a lottery team. Not sure what is wrong about that.
The JJ part was what was incorrect.

Nothing matters if JJ is playing second pairing minutes/role with the ghost of Justin Schultz. We're also f***ed if our bottom pairing is Gudbranson and JJ.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The issue is you think it'll be successful. Tanev is a less offensively successful version of Rust and maybe in the same opportunities he might produce and be a dupuis. But if that's their rationale. I'd be way more ****ing worried with that stupidity in their thinking than all of the other dumb **** this coaching staff has deployed as "lines"...

This team lacks major cohesiveness because this coaching staff thinks if you run pairs then a third player is interchangeable but even that is something they've failed to deploy regularly. It's a lot of juggling and it messes with chemistry. They got super lucky with Sid and Jake being great and the HBK flash in the pan. But since then, they've literally tried a bunch of random **** and then when it got cold, went full on panic mode trying everything and even old **** over and over.

The Blues and bruins for example, used lines that have been together for a while to build chemistry. People forget that's like an actual thing. The Pens only ever do it with Sid and Jake and Dumo and Tanger. The irony in that is lost on so many including the coaching staff. Oh we gotta switch **** and it works, but oh let's never split these up because....uh.....

Well we’ve had 6 forwards traded out of this team over the season so of course you are going to see some different line combinations but even with that there isn’t as big of a difference as you might think.

Line Combinations - Frozen Tools - St Louis

Line Combinations - Frozen Tools - Pittsburgh

Line Combinations - Frozen Tools - Boston

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
@pixiesfanyo - I said he was a 3rd liner last year. He played the minutes of one and produced like one is expected to do so (actually at 5v5 he was borderline 2nd); if it walks and quacks, it's a duck.

Career wise? Well no, he's not been a 3rd liner his whole career, but I'd point out that his 5v5 production last year is pretty much 3rd line once you pace it out. His production pace in general has been rather consistent since he figured the NHL out; the real difference between this year and last is that he got a few extra minutes.

As such, I think its pretty fair to consider him a 3rd liner. Maybe he drops away, but if he keeps playing like the last two seasons, he'll be a 3rd liner.

TheDuderino

May 1, 2019
CT USA
@TheDuderino We have no similar players to Tanev. Rust, as much as I like him is only similar in the sense that he's a 35+pt player who's fast and decent defensively. But he's not close to Tanev in terms of their physical play. And while Reese is similar to Tanev in terms of their physical and defensive games, Reese doesn't come close to matching Tanev's speed.

Basically we have noone who's similar to Tanev on the roster - if we did, we wouldn't have signed Tanev.

I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. Tanev’s are a dime a dozen. We paid $100.00. And yes we did have players like Tanev.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I dunno what to think other than JJ needs to still go.
That and Kahun/Tanev here makes it less likely ZAR is in the top 6.
All i got really.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. Tanev’s are a dime a dozen. We paid $100.00. And yes we did have players like Tanev.
Did this preface the rest of your post? That is some creative posting.

Tanev is certainly not a dime a dozen. He is a wrecking ball. We haven’t really had a player like him since Matt Cooke.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
It depends on how things work out. Tanevs never been a point producer... Even in junior. His value would be as a third wheel on a scoring line/ puck getter.

Plus I like the idea of two buzz saws like Rust and Tanev around Bjugstad on the third line. They'll set tempo and pace like... Cooke Staal TK used to do. If you add AJ to that bottom 6 its a ton of speed.

Malkin and Galchenyuk worry me a little bit but I think Kahun can be the defensive valve there. Plus Chuckwagon isn't as bad defensively as Kessel.

I'm actually exited to watch this team and fine with starting the season like this. Sure it needs tinkering but younger and faster is a good start.

Would love to see POJ force the Pens hand in camp.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
It depends on how things work out. Tanevs never been a point producer... Even in junior. His value would be as a third wheel on a scoring line/ puck getter.

Plus I like the idea of two buzz saws like Rust and Tanev around Bjugstad on the third line. They'll set tempo and pace like... Cooke Staal TK used to do.

Malkin and Galchenyuk worry me a little bit but I think Kahun can be the defensive valve there.

There is pretty much nothing here I do not disagree with, strongly. Other than Tanev never having been a scorer, obviously.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Call me crazy but if we go with a left shot there I think I’d put Galyenchuk in the Phil spot over Guentzel.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
If by some sort of Jedi Magic JR can get rid of JJ and add Gardiner (who I’m not super high on, but he is a hell of a lot better than JJ and can skate) and maybe Gusev I’ll be very excited about this team’s potential
Man, it would be great to both toss JJ and get an actual, worthwhile dman straight away to replace him. But Gardiner is going to get like 7m. We’d need to get rid of more just to fit him, and then we’d be back at not affording RFAs again.

Honestly, I’m so much more comfortable with JR in the trade market that’s what I want to do. If he can make something happen for Jake McCabe, great.

Alternately, if Calgary was really on the cusp of moving Brodie for Kadri, look into that. If they would consider Bjug, who is younger and IMO with his size fits them better, and maybe we could throw ina plus and get Sam Bennett. I’ve said it before: I don’t want to just discard Bjug, but if it’s for the right kind of deal/piece in return I would do it.

So since Chucky decided on jersey number 18 I think we can all safely say he’s a lock for 40 goals next year.

Wow, I really thought he was gonna go back to 27. At least that’s what I was looking forward to looking at all those highlight reels of him with the Habs.

Do you think the org told him to stay off that number because they’re about to have “Craig Adams Ironman Night” and send 27 to the rafters?

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
And it's very likely that between Rust (if he's still here), Kahun, MaCann, Reese, Tanev and Simon that we have the right winger to play alongside Malkin and Gally. That's a very nice mix of players all with slightly different skillsets.
Except none of those skill sets are good enough to play in our top 6; quantity over quality.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't even find ZAR particularly physical. He reminds me of a guy who will finish his checks because his coach told him to, but there's no real punishment or authority behind them. He's basically Tom Kuhnhackl who is forced into playing like he's Tanner Glass.

ZAR is a high defensive IQ player that lacks the feet and hands to be the overall player people hope for him to be.

Eventually it will sink in for his supporters he’s more Tanner Glass than Hornqvist.

I know many coaches like DB and MS appreciate these guys because they also played like them, but it would be nice to have a season without a slow footed try hard that’s only in the lineup because of “intangibles” and his PKing.

I don’t even remember the last time they didn’t have an Adams, Glass, Porter, Kuhn, ZAR, Wilson type in their lineup.

I just want one season without having to watch a lineup with a slow coal miner type.

Just one season...

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
It's sounding more and more likely like Bjugstad might be the player moving out rather than Rust. Both names are surfacing but according to Josh, Bjugstad's is a lot more frequent & increasingly so.

Rust is the better player, but I don’t know if I can handle the whole 3C hunt all over again.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Lies, Damn Lies & Statistics - but I prefer having Tanev to MoJo. It's been a long time since MoJo made his team mates unambiguously better at 5v5; his value lies in the PP, and we don't need another of those.

Also, kinda up in the air on this one and obviously it depends on return, but I'm increasingly thinking it'd be a lot smarter to move Rust than Bjugstad, so frowny face at Jesse's post.

Reactions: Riptide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad