Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - JJ is still here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah I meant moving Neal for PH and now likely having to bench the latter to make room for the Neal/Kessel replacement.

Oh good. I was like...Kessel...one-timer? Did I get sucked into another vortex or something?

AHHHHHHHH. I getcha. :laugh: Sorry, I'm too hungry from looking at all these pictures of delicious Macedonian food for the Tanev thread.

BRB gotta go bug the ex-Yugo restaurant next door for some pljeskavica.

What goes on in Macedonia anyway? Or that matter, Moldova? I see these on the map and I'm pretty sure they are populated countries...but it's like the RAM and ROM in my brain isn't powerful enough nor does it have room to process thoughts about what people in that area might be like.

Uh... you mean one that they make an effort to use?

Ain't that no shit. We can certainly identify the passers, eh?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
That hasn't been changed nor, importantly has it been refuted.

Nor has that been changed or, more importantly, refuted. In what world do you live, in which a 4th line hockey player isn't replaceable? Do you think Kevin Cheveldayoff is losing sleep over how he's going to replace Brandon Tanev?

Tanev w/ Lowry, Copp - 58.27 CF%
Tanev w/ Lowry - 52.74 CF%
Tanev w/o Lowry, Copp - 38.08 CF%
Tanev w/o Lowry - 41.49 CF%

Oops...like like they already have one!

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

Seems to me Jets kept the two players who matter on that line.

That "one video clip" typifies ZAR's play and speed. I'm sorry that it is counter intuitive to your narrative.

Tanev’s corsi (almost too cringe to say this word anymore) without Copp and Lowry is irrelevant and brought down by defending leads with guys like Little and Laine late in the period. Score effects not taken into account at all.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Malkin is still here.

But he doesn't use his one-timer much anymore, probably because that alleged shoulder injury a few years ago seemed to change his shooting mechanics. :dunno:

I honestly can't imagine the last stretch of time we saw Malkin use that on the powerplay regularly.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Pettersson alone will blow the Cap room. We signed a 4th liner for $3.5MM...you think you're going to get your 4th D for what and your 4th line C for what now that you've set the price for a 4th line winger....ZAR will never clear waivers...

Anyone here run a business?

You do know that these guys are RFA’s and don’t really hold bargaining power against the FO?

None of those guys will be getting $3.5 million.

I’d stick to running your business and let the hockey contracts to the pros.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Listening to Madden in the car. He's saying the team plans on playing Galchenyuk on the 1st unit. Which would mean Guentzel and PH rotating at net front.

I could see Sullivan wanting a guy on the 1st unit with a legit one timer who's not afraid to use it.

I actually posted this in the Kessel trade thread, I'm okay with this decision. Guentzel has been good on the powerplay (outdated but still probably accurate), but Galchenyuk is just on a different level. Galchenyuk is better than Kessel on the powerplay. You'd slide Malkin into Kessel's spot and put Galchenyuk in Malkin's old spot and leave the rest the same. Malkin has played the left half-wall before, so you're not putting him grossly out of his element there. Not only that, but the 2nd unit has a distinct lack of a true net front guy if you put both Guentzel and Hornqvist on the top unit.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This argument has been repeated ad-nauseum by people who don't like the signing, it's a blatant example of a misuse of stats. Which angle would you rather me tear apart that argument?

1. There is a 140 minute sample size of Tanev without Lowry and a 90 minute sample size of Tanev without Lowry and Copp. That's incredibly small, that's ridiculous to draw any conclusions from such a small sample.
2. Not only that, but it wasn't even a sustained 140 minutes of Tanev away from Lowry. It's a shift here and there over a full season, based on the fact that Tanev played 6 or more minutes with Lowry in 78 of 79 games last year.
3. Not only are you looking at a very small sample size that wasn't over a constant period of time, you're clinging to 1 stat and saying "he was carried because his CF% was bad away from Lowry". In the very small sample size, he had a 4-5 GF-GA ratio and a 20-22 HDCF-HDCA ratio. Over that small of a sample size, that's fine.
4. We're talking about Adam ****ing Lowry here, not Sidney Crosby. If you're really clinging to the argument that Tanev was carried by a decent 3rd line center, I really don't know what to tell you. Like that's just dumb.

It's just so ****ing dumb and a blatant misuse of analytics that it makes my blood boil.

I think it's plausible to suggest that playing with Lowry helped Tanev. I just don't understand why the same leap can't be made when thinking about him playing with Bjugstad or McCann.

TheDuderino

May 1, 2019
CT USA
This argument has been repeated ad-nauseum by people who don't like the signing, it's a blatant example of a misuse of stats. Which angle would you rather me tear apart that argument?

1. There is a 140 minute sample size of Tanev without Lowry and a 90 minute sample size of Tanev without Lowry and Copp. That's incredibly small, that's ridiculous to draw any conclusions from such a small sample.
2. Not only that, but it wasn't even a sustained 140 minutes of Tanev away from Lowry. It's a shift here and there over a full season, based on the fact that Tanev played 6 or more minutes with Lowry in 78 of 79 games last year.
3. Not only are you looking at a very small sample size that wasn't over a constant period of time, you're clinging to 1 stat and saying "he was carried because his CF% was bad away from Lowry". In the very small sample size, he had a 4-5 GF-GA ratio and a 20-22 HDCF-HDCA ratio. Over that small of a sample size, that's fine.
4. We're talking about Adam ****ing Lowry here, not Sidney Crosby. If you're really clinging to the argument that Tanev was carried by a decent 3rd line center, I really don't know what to tell you. Like that's just dumb.

It's just so ****ing dumb and a blatant misuse of analytics that it makes my blood boil.

How do you explain this?

TheDuderino

May 1, 2019
CT USA
I think it's plausible to suggest that playing with Lowry helped Tanev. I just don't understand why the same leap can't be made when thinking about him playing with Bjugstad or McCann.

Most likely because he won't be playing with them and equally as likely Bjug will be wearing a different jersey come fall.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

What do you think those numbers provide? Instead of just regurgitating the numbers and saying "look at these numbers!", actually provide some support. If your entire argument is "the numbers are bad so he sucks", you're not worth anyone's time.

What those numbers tell me is that all of Lowry, Copp and Tanev benefited from playing with each other. That makes sense when you look at how much of a cluster**** the rest of the Jets were analytically last year. What those numbers tell me is that Copp-Lowry-Tanev was together for a lot of last year and did really well, and whenever any of those guys played with someone other than the other 2, they were worse off.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
giphy.gif

TheDuderino

May 1, 2019
CT USA
Tanev’s corsi (almost too cringe to say this word anymore) without Copp and Lowry is irrelevant and brought down by defending leads with guys like Little and Laine late in the period. Score effects not taken into account at all.

Then why didn't Lowry's and Copp's Corsi equally suffer without Tanev?

TheDuderino

May 1, 2019
CT USA
What do you think those numbers provide? Instead of just regurgitating the numbers and saying "look at these numbers!", actually provide some support. If your entire argument is "the numbers are bad so he sucks", you're not worth anyone's time.

What those numbers tell me is that all of Lowry, Copp and Tanev benefited from playing with each other. That makes sense when you look at how much of a cluster**** the rest of the Jets were analytically last year. What those numbers tell me is that Copp-Lowry-Tanev was together for a lot of last year and did really well, and whenever any of those guys played with someone other than the other 2, they were worse off.

Thank you for regurgitating the exact argument i have been making versus the people who claim that Tanev was the driving force of that line. Jets had a good 4th line. 3 guys who played well together. Tanev is gone and they already own two players who are going to compete to replace him one of whom has already shown that he can play with Copp and Lowry.

4th liners are a dime a dozen. Tanev is a 4th liner.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Malkin and Crosby both prefer to play on the right half wall, but they are going to kick them both out for Chucky? I'll believe it when I see it.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Regardless of what you think of Galenchyuk on the squad at even strength, having another legit one-timer threat on the PP is going to change some things for the better.

Yeah. As someone who was kinda dreading Gally as a return for Kessel this is undoubtedly true. Now lets just see what the scheme itself is. I don't like this idea of shuffling Malkin around even more to accommodate that turd. I mean... terrific player so happy to have you.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Thank you for regurgitating the exact argument i have been making versus the people who claim that Tanev was the driving force of that line. Jets had a good 4th line. 3 guys who played well together. Tanev is gone and they already own two players who are going to compete to replace him one of whom has already shown that he can play with Copp and Lowry.

4th liners are a dime a dozen. Tanev is a 4th liner.

Who has said this? You're the one making the claim that Tanev is a 4th liner and clinging to insanely fault and cherrypicked analytics to try and argue you're right. Tanev is a 30 point 3rd liner, that's what his analytics, basic stats and logic paint him as.

You're clinging to 1 stat in a super small sample size to say that Tanev was carried by his linemates, which is an absolutely trash argument for more reasons than I can mention. It's just a bad argument and you're wasting everyone's time by posting it.

Reactions: Riptide

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Tanev might put the PK back in the top 5 and the Chucky one timer will keep the PP top 5.

JJ & Rust out - McCabe @ 2 million in. Try to gun for Gusev @ 3 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad