Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - HARD KNOCK LIFE...FOR US!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
They would have to retain at least $2mil (5.0) so net wise Fleury would cost $1.75mil against the cap assuming POJ’s cost would replace DeSmith’s cost.

Yep. I don't think it's realistic, but I just wanted to see how many people here would entertain it if it meant getting rid of the scourge of the earth Jack Johnson.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Interesting idea thrown out by an Avs fan, Murray to Colorado for Compher. Compher is a 25 year old righty C/RW that's used in a fairly heavy defensive role with the Avs right now. He also has some pretty strong playoff numbers, he has 3 goals and 7 points in 14 games this year and 7 goals and 16 points in 32 playoff games in his career. In fact, every single one of his playoff runs have been at exactly a 0.5 PPG. He's not great on faceoffs, but his "not great" is in the 48%-50% range, which isn't bad.

Compher reminds me of pre-breakout Rust if pre-breakout Rust also played center. Here's what his HF profile says about him:

Compher is an undersized energy player who is a fierce competitor. He possesses above average skill in all facets of the game though his greatest strength is his skating ability. He plays well away from the puck, using his speed to backcheck and forecheck and finishes his checks consistently. He is not an offensively gifted player but can score goals on a regular basis.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Like I said in a different thread I think, something about the way the Pens players kept rushing back from injuries makes me wonder if/when they leave the Pens and heal properly, if they would ever rebound. A couple of players have left the Pens after struggling and rebounded, so he's one I want to keep an eye on.

A lot of said players who struggled here were almost exclusively because of Sullivan. Tanner Pearson, Ryan Reaves and Derick Brassard, to name three. Three completely different forwards, too.

Interesting idea thrown out by an Avs fan, Murray to Colorado for Compher. Compher is a 25 year old righty C/RW that's used in a fairly heavy defensive role with the Avs right now. He also has some pretty strong playoff numbers, he has 3 goals and 7 points in 14 games this year and 7 goals and 16 points in 32 playoff games in his career. In fact, every single one of his playoff runs have been at exactly a 0.5 PPG. He's not great on faceoffs, but his "not great" is in the 48%-50% range, which isn't bad.

Compher reminds me of pre-breakout Rust if pre-breakout Rust also played center. Here's what his HF profile says about him:

I don't hate it. I mean, if Rutherford is going to completely ignore draft picks and prospects then the next-best thing would be filling a massive hole with a 25-year-old.

He can do much much worse than this, I am certain.

Re: Fleury, perhaps the WORST part about reacquiring him (even more than everything else that has already been said) is the idea of inheriting his idiot agent. Man I don't know how many Penguins are represented by Allan Walsh but if the number is one that is already one too many.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
A lot of said players who struggled here were almost exclusively because of Sullivan. Tanner Pearson, Ryan Reaves and Derick Brassard, to name three. Three completely different forwards, too.

I don't hate it. I mean, if Rutherford is going to completely ignore draft picks and prospects then the next-best thing would be filling a massive hole with a 25-year-old.

He can do much much worse than this, I am certain.

Re: Fleury, perhaps the WORST part about reacquiring him (even more than everything else that has already been said) is the idea of inheriting his idiot agent. Man I don't know how many Penguins are represented by Allan Walsh but if the number is one that is already one too many.

what?

Did Reaves struggle or was he just not used much?

Brassard sucked for three different teams. And had a mini rebound with the isles this year. But isnt exactly what he used to be even with said rebound.

Pearson had what to do with sullivan exactly?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Is he really any different than McCann?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Having a righty center would be a luxury, but a welcome one. I tried using Hockey Reference's player comparison tool, but apparently it doesn't like Compher and won't run. Anyone else having this issue?

Player Comparison: Bryan Rust | Stathead.com

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Is he really any different than McCann?

A righty McCann with strong playoff numbers and better faceoffs sounds pretty solid from the 3C spot, though.

Compher has also shown he can handle a defensive 3C assignment, I don't think McCann has shown that. I would also be really happy with keeping McCann to play with Compher and a RWer not named Hornqvist.

Last edited:
Reactions: KIRK

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
what?

Did Reaves struggle or was he just not used much?

Brassard sucked for three different teams. And had a mini rebound with the isles this year. But isnt exactly what he used to be even with said rebound.

Pearson had what to do with sullivan exactly?

He was on our fourth line?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Reading the news out of Toronto regarding their goalie situation...

I'm picturing Murray trying to handle the media in T.O. Good luck, bro.
Yeah, dude needs a change of scenery and to be able to close the chapter on this part of his life/career. Going to Toronto as the next chapter is, uh, not the best outcome. :laugh:

Reactions: BHD

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
because he was playing like shit. I think some was injury related but he was passed up by people playing better. O dont know how thats the coaches problem.

Pearson was passed by people playing better, now he is a top-6 winger on a team still playing.
Reaves was not utilized hardly, now he is playing a key fourth-line winger role on a team still playing.
Brassard was bounced from line to line, never really given a role, now he is a depth forward on a team still playing.

The GM spent quality assets to acquire these players (well, Pearson was stolen from LA for Hagelin but otherwise the other two were traded for future assets, valuable ones). Their value completely disappeared under this coach, and the GM got rid of them for pennies on the dollar.

If Sullivan wasn't the reason, then what? Whether they played like shit while here is not really the issue. The issue is why do quality players play like shit the minute they get here, and return to being what they were when they leave?

This pattern is troubling.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
because he was playing like shit. I think some was injury related but he was passed up by people playing better. O dont know how thats the coaches problem.

Pearson came to us in a funk, and after a short recovery, playing through a hand injury and next to the Black Hole of Brassard was too much for him in terms of sustaining funk recovery and he slid back. Wasn't aided by McCann coming in to be a 3C but quickly finding his way to the LW, or Simon finding chemistry with Bjugstad and Hornqvist.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
A righty McCann with strong playoff numbers and better faceoffs sounds pretty solid from the 3C spot, though.

Compher has also shown he can handle a defensive 3C assignment, I don't think McCann has shown that. I would also be really happy with keeping McCann to play with Compher and a RWer not named Hornqvist.
I wouldn't burn down PPG over it, but meh. He seems like another north-south type of player. I'm hoping JR can find more of a playmaker for 3C.

And Hornqvist probably isn't going anywhere so a line of McCann - Compher - Hornqvist seems expensive and lacking an offensive driver.

Reactions: BHD

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn't burn down PPG over it, but meh. He seems like another north-south type of player. I'm hoping JR can find more of a playmaker for 3C.

And Hornqvist probably isn't going anywhere so a line of McCann - Compher - Hornqvist seems expensive and lacking an offensive driver.

If Hornqvist isn't going anywhere, I'd look to trade McCann at that point for a playmaking LWer for Compher and Hornqvist then. And that's likely what JR would do as well, seeing how Friedman said that the Penguins are shopping McCann right now.

If nothing else, trading for Compher and trading McCann benefits the Penguins because Compher is better at faceoffs and Compher has a good playoff resume.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm not even sure who is available or anything, but I wonder if our best course of action is to go with a boom or bust kinda guy like Haula. I'm not super high on Haula, but if he can return to at or near Vegas levels of play and production, that'd be the kind of caliber guy we need to provide the depth and match-up problems this team has missed for years from its 3rd line. For Haula to return to form, we need a bit of luck and probably one more significant addition to the 3rd line beyond the 3C.

But, again, there's a real chance the guy is no better than any of the seriously lackluster in-house options too.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Pearson was passed by people playing better, now he is a top-6 winger on a team still playing.
Reaves was not utilized hardly, now he is playing a key fourth-line winger role on a team still playing.
Brassard was bounced from line to line, never really given a role, now he is a depth forward on a team still playing.

The GM spent quality assets to acquire these players (well, Pearson was stolen from LA for Hagelin but otherwise the other two were traded for future assets, valuable ones). Their value completely disappeared under this coach, and the GM got rid of them for pennies on the dollar.

If Sullivan wasn't the reason, then what? Whether they played like shit while here is not really the issue. The issue is why do quality players play like shit the minute they get here, and return to being what they were when they leave?

So its sullivans fault Pearson played like shit and had injuries?

its sullivans fault Reaves was Reaves?

And its Sullivans fault Brassard hs been anywhere from suck to passable since we traded for him?

But because their newest teams made the second round theybare all of a sudden super valuable?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

People worried about Reaves as a system fit from the beginning.

Brassard came in to do a role he wasn't really suited for and maybe didn't want to do

Pearson came in playing like crap and had an unfortunate injury.

I think there's a good question about why so many players have come in, not done well, moved on, have done well elsewhere. I think coaching probably has something to do with it. But two of those look like GMing mistakes to me.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Along the Colorado trade front....

From Adrian Dater, who has covered the Avs for several years:

“The one goalie I keep hearing as the next Avs No. 1, regardless of the situations of any of the current guys: Matt Murray“

Reactions: domaug

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
..Continue to go on record here to push for another offensive C in the lineup. Defensive 3C isn't getting this team anywhere it hasn't already been in the past couple seasons. Our woes have not come from the lack of ANOTHER 'shut down' line or lack of faceoff wins. We're disillusioned in believing that Sid and Geno can do all the work - and have surrounded them with guys who can't put the puck in (or sometimes even on) the net.... and any defensive issues we've had have been well documented - and have not stemmed from the 3C position.

We need another guy who can slot up when Sid or Geno go down - or when they play together (which is happening more frequently as they age and we score less...finding ourselves in 1 goal games).

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
..Continue to go on record here to push for another offensive C in the lineup. Defensive 3C isn't getting this team anywhere it hasn't already been in the past couple seasons. Our woes have not come from the lack of ANOTHER 'shut down' line or lack of faceoff wins. We're disillusioned in believing that Sid and Geno can do all the work - and have surrounded them with guys who can't put the puck in (or sometimes even on) the net.... and any defensive issues we've had have been well documented - and have not stemmed from the 3C position.

We need another guy who can slot up when Sid or Geno go down - or when they play together (which is happening more frequently as they age and we score less...finding ourselves in 1 goal games).

That failed spectacularly the last time they did that when Brassard was an absolute dud here, though.

Also, if you're concerned about having a guy who can sot up when Crosby or Malkin get hurt, you should be advocating to keep McCann. Having McCann on LW and sliding to 2C if Crosby or Malkin gets hurt is a good position to have him. His problem is that he's ill-suited to be a 3C for how the Penguins want to use their 3rd ine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad