Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Cole's House of Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If the Pens want to make a run late in G/Sid's career.. they need ELC performing players. You can't trade them all. We need ELC performing players.

that was essentially what I was getting at.....younger, cheaper players..not an established top player on the back end of his career who we’re paying $10+ mil for 7 years...

Reactions: ColePens

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
that was essentially what I was getting at.....younger, cheaper players..not an established top player on the back end of his career who we’re paying $10+ mil for 7 years...
I’d be down for Mackinnon.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
it depends...If you want an impact player here for 6-7 years, then yeah, you want a younger player...those 28 year old players like Barkov will still want a 7 year deal...and they could get it from younger teams looking for an impact vet...Pens will be in a different position than those teams...should they be signing that player through his age 35 season? I dunno...

If the Pens want to be a contender as their core players enter their mid-late 30s, they will.

A 27-28 year old impact UFA is about the best possible scenario for a team that wants to stay competitive but has an empty cupboard in terms of valuable young futures.

Reactions: Peat

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

You can do both if you move out/on from overpaid low - middle tier players

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If the team doesn't win and compete for a cup and say another first round playoff loss, then a change in things has to be done. Pens don't need a total rebuild here but what they do need is to continue to stock the system with better talent and percentages of young players coming through. GMJR has done a decent job of adding young talent to the mix but much more is needed. The D with Marino, POJ, Matheson, for now Petts all are 25 and under and have upside. But the key is getting the center position better in prospects and how that is done is just uncertain. Don't see a tank here so whoever is in management that has to be the priority.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
it depends...If you want an impact player here for 6-7 years, then yeah, you want a younger player...those 28 year old players like Barkov will still want a 7 year deal...and they could get it from younger teams looking for an impact vet...Pens will be in a different position than those teams...should they be signing that player through his age 35 season? I dunno...
Assuming they can afford him and still fill out a competitive roster, what's the downside? He helps maximize the last few years of Crosby-Malkin and then either is the early-to-mid 30's veteran leader after they are gone or they burn it all down and trade everyone they can at which point, that guy would probably want out anyway.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
You have to really identify which of those players are important to keep though too. Which is why we are in like year 3 of our 3C hunt :laugh:

For sure. You have to be a good GM to make it work.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You have to really identify which of those players are important to keep though too. Which is why we are in like year 3 of our 3C hunt :laugh:

Really, it comes down to paying for your most essential positions, and considering the Pens not drafting high on centers is a big reason for that.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

You don't get those players without assets...assets that we don't have unless we sell off our core players.

At which point we would need to replace those core players...via UFA.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
You coulda got a Jarnkrok like 3C for 1million $ in Soderberg or Haula. why would you trade your best prospect for one when you passed on as good options who didn't cost much

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
You coulda got a Jarnkrok like 3C for 1million $ in Soderberg or Haula. why would you trade your best prospect for one when you passed on as good options who didn't cost much

The Haula you think you’ll get

FatSpectacularInganue-max-1mb.gif

The Haula you’ll actually get

spxN54.gif

Reactions: med2659

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

This isn't an either or. If anything, having another top end player forces us into younger cheaper players more, because it means we can't stock up on hockey's middle class. And if you're thinking a guy like Laine as younger and cheaper rather than guys like 15-16 Rust et al, then you've got to look at the fact he's a last year RFA with arbitration rights, and look at Marner's contract, and ask how long he'd actually stay cheap.

Throw in the assets needed to acquire such a guy vs free agency - which will consist of the young and hungry - and it's pretty dubious as to which is preferable if they're both options. Which, given our lack of premium trade assets, probably isn't the case.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I mean hes no world beater. Neither is Jarnkrok.

Soda is better than both

Haula is a decent player but he may fall apart which doesn’t help us. Soderberg I would have been interested in but Chicago is a much better spot for him. He’ll get better minutes and more favourable starts then he would here.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Haula is a decent player but he may fall apart which doesn’t help us. Soderberg I would have been interested in but Chicago is a much better spot for him. He’ll get better minutes and more favourable starts then he would here.
That's what people don't get, Soderberg will get stable minutes and usage. He'd never get that here.

I would have wanted a winger anyway. I was fine with Canner and Blue as the Cs if that's the route they wanted to go.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
That's what people don't get, Soderberg will get stable minutes and usage. He'd never get that here.

I would have wanted a winger anyway. I was fine with Canner and Blue as the Cs if that's the route they wanted to go.

Yeah especially with Dach out a while.

Yeah we lack a better right winger in the bottom 6. One that can move up the lines for injury as well. We've got McCann for that on the left side.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah especially with Dach out a while.

Yeah we lack a better right winger in the bottom 6. One that can move up the lines for injury as well. We've got McCann for that on the left side.
Toews is still out as well yeah?

So their C depth might be Strome and Soderberg in the top 6 unless they move Kane to C.

Reactions: Gurglesons

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If the Pens want to make a run late in G/Sid's career.. they need ELC performing players. You can't trade them all. We need ELC performing players.

Not just from a cap perspective, but also because IMHO the energy and enthusiasm you get sprinkling a couple of impact young players into the lineup can be infectious.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

WOULDA, COULDA, SHOULDA is a good summary for JR's cap management and free agency work over the last three and a half years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad