Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Cole's House of Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Interesting tidbit here - Rutherford talking about aiming to add an impact player or two in FA to keep the cup chase alive.

Now, maybe I'm doing 2 + 2 = 5, but I can't help but connect the whispers that the team might be looking to move on from Letang with the money needed to make this work. Although I'd point you that you can also get the money from Zucker + a LD.

The thought of JR trying to land a superstar type player in FA should be exciting, yet given his history in FA, it would likely end up more like a horror show.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The thought of JR trying to land a superstar type player in FA should be exciting, yet given his history in FA, it would likely end up more like a horror show.

So either he's going to win the cup with said possible signing, or he's going to ensure we definitely tank severely enough to get young elite players to take over post-Sid and Geno. Win-win! :sarcasm:

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm skeptical JR could pull it off, but that comment from him does line up with my theory that they won't immediately rebuild when Crosby and Malkin retire. But looking at the 2021 free agent class, there really isn't much there that I think JR would want to splurge on.

Maybe RNH would fit that bill, but why would RNH sign here over somewhere else? Same thing with Landeskog. I guess you may be able to get RNH if you offer him like $7 million a year, and plan on him playing LW until Crosby or Malkin retire and then shift him to center.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Interesting tidbit here - Rutherford talking about aiming to add an impact player or two in FA to keep the cup chase alive.

Now, maybe I'm doing 2 + 2 = 5, but I can't help but connect the whispers that the team might be looking to move on from Letang with the money needed to make this work. Although I'd point you that you can also get the money from Zucker + a LD.

I'm assuming Rust doesn't replicate his point-per-game pace for this season. And after this season, he's only get a year left. Would you consider trading Rust instead of Zucker, who has one more year but is more expensive?

And let's not forget about the player and their salary/cap hit we lose to Seattle. I'm assuming the Pens lose Pettersson, Matheson, Tanev, or McCann.

Very likely considering he had to overpay to just get Tanev to Pittsburgh...

Though, maybe he could come up with a decent trade package to send to a team for an RFA that doesn't want to sign with their team. Say, Patrik Laine in Winnipeg.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
So either he's going to win the cup with said possible signing, or he's going to ensure we definitely tank severely enough to get young elite players to take over post-Sid and Geno. Win-win! :sarcasm:

One thing I know for sure, JR isn’t here to do a rebuild.

He’s here to squeeze out what he can from the remaining Crosby and Malkin years.

We will know this team is in rebuild mode when JR steps aside into a different role.

I keep having a feeling they are going to go all in on Hamilton and then try to get rid of Letang.

Does he move the needle though?

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

My pipe dream lately has been Eichel forcing his way out of Buffalo and us swooping in somehow. That doesn’t really fit with the free agency thing though.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm assuming Rust doesn't replicate his point-per-game pace for this season. And after this season, he's only get a year left. Would you consider trading Rust instead of Zucker, who has one more year but is more expensive?

And let's not forget about the player and their salary/cap hit we lose to Seattle. I'm assuming the Pens lose Pettersson, Matheson, Tanev, or McCann.

I would, but that extra 2m is kinda key in terms of going big game hunting, and there's more obvious replacements for Zucker in the org if things go well in Poulin/McCann, so I doubt it'd work out that way.

As for Seattle - I assume Pettersson/Matheson if things go well, Blueger if they don't. Maybe McCann but if you're moving Zucker and think he's the replacement, you damn well protect him. Either way... sure, some cap opens up but there's still going to be a forward trade. Or a Letang trade.

I keep having a feeling they are going to go all in on Hamilton and then try to get rid of Letang.

It's the most logical shout from the list. I'm not sure Hamilton's better than Letang, but there would be no worries about him ageing out during Sid's contract.

My pipe dream lately has been Eichel forcing his way out of Buffalo and us swooping in somehow. That doesn’t really fit with the free agency thing though.

We simply don't have the trade assets to be in on that unless Eichel insists on coming here, nor we do really have the space unless Malkin is going or is actively happy to switch to wing.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Will be a sad sad when we no longer have Letang.

All I know is that the guy has been are #1 defenseman and I hope we can keep him.
Letang
Marino

Is 2 defenseman in a top 4 that make a top 4 look beautiful.

Only way you use Letang is for another top pairing defenseman.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think Marino is the lynchpin in the Letang dealings. You can't say you want to extend the cup window out of one corner of your mouth and then trade Letang out of the other corner...UNLESS...there is a #1 replacement. I really like Marino but I don't see it just yet. Hamilton will cost as much as Letang does and is worse so I have trouble seeing that as well.

I think 2C is our biggest need. I want them to grab a 2C and push Malkin to Sid's wing. I think as those two start to slow, they can develop a good game together.

Jake-Sid-Malkin
Zucker-2C-Kapanen
McCann-3C-Rust

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I don't think the numbers add up and Edmonton sounds like they will be signing him again is RNH.

Damn would the forward corps look good with him added.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think Marino is the lynchpin in the Letang dealings. You can't say you want to extend the cup window out of one corner of your mouth and then trade Letang out of the other corner...UNLESS...there is a #1 replacement. I really like Marino but I don't see it just yet. Hamilton will cost as much as Letang does and is worse so I have trouble seeing that as well.

I think 2C is our biggest need. I want them to grab a 2C and push Malkin to Sid's wing. I think as those two start to slow, they can develop a good game together.

Jake-Sid-Malkin
Zucker-2C-Kapanen
McCann-3C-Rust

giphy-downsized-large.gif

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
One thing I know for sure, JR isn’t here to do a rebuild.

He’s here to squeeze out what he can from the remaining Crosby and Malkin years.

We will know this team is in rebuild mode when JR steps aside into a different role.

Does he move the needle though?

If the last three years have proven anything, it's that he's more likely to squash whatever good could be had from those years than he is to squeeze good from them.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Sully and JR haven't been on the same page for quite some time now. Kinda hard for this team to get it's act together when the teams architects are looking at with different blueprints.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If the last three years have proven anything, it's that he's more likely to squash whatever good could be had from those years than he is to squeeze good from them.

To be honest. We’ve fared far better than Chicago, Boston and LA did after their collapse. And while Rutherford has pissed away tons of assets with the current wing group we simply need one player to turn into a third line driver and we are set.

Return of the Paek

Jun 19, 2016
Kasperi going to pot 35 goals in this shortened season assuming he gets the Visa situation squared away soon. You heard it here first.

And yes, I did not read any of the prior posts for content. So I apologize if I derailed any prudent roster building discussion.

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
Anyone see the main forum thread with speculation of Crosby to Colarado :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, I wanted to post "bold of you to assume it would be Crosby to Colorado and not MacKinnon to Pittsburgh" before it got locked, but sadly it got locked :laugh:

Reactions: That1Kid

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah, I wanted to post "bold of you to assume it would be Crosby to Colorado and not MacKinnon to Pittsburgh" before it got locked, but sadly it got locked :laugh:

Rutherford said he wants to make a big splash in UFA. If they don't sign one of Malkin or Letang they could easily have the money for it. I don't see why MacK does it, but who knows if Sakic tries to low ball him.

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
Rutherford said he wants to make a big splash in UFA. If they don't sign one of Malkin or Letang they could easily have the money for it. I don't see why MacK does it, but who knows if Sakic tries to low ball him.
Maybe they can’t afford him or just end up sucking? This is also a whole two years away but Sid could convince him if the Avs for whatever reason cannot sign him. I’m sure it would be between the Avs or playing with Sid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad