Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Clever Thread Title Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
JR wasted assets like they were going out of style......... did the same thing in Carolina after winning a cup there.

Sully forced his ideals of what an NHL roster should be onto the organization....... the end result is laughable

Amazed by 16/17 run..........but they made nearly every wrong choice possible moving forward from that point.

Started with PAYING Vegas to TAKE MAF.............. said it at the time..........terrible asset management.........

This series can be blamed on many.........coaching, players............front office.......hell, even ownership.

The one thing I'm hopeful about is Mario is at the top...........most likely sees the same things I have seen...........same as burke and hopefully hextall.........

How they or anyone else didn't see ruination coming with that first line vs trotz's Isles heavy lineup and how the NHL has been trending.............yikes and yoi........

Looking forward to change (good change)...............get me Tocchet.......... get me some pushback........... Trade whoever it takes.......

They never had a chance that series... Physical weakness will lead to mental weakness if it goes unanswered...

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I've been all aboard Team Chaos for a long time. Another 1st round exit where the usual suspects failed to show up just makes me think we're that much closer to the team going nuclear. I'm not convinced we'll see anything but minimal changes though, not until we bomb out again next playoffs--assuming we make it.

I'm bored to death watching a team of fancy names plod around and accomplish as much as a team like Ottawa, Detroit or Buffalo for all intents and purposes. Yay, cool, we made the playoffs for 15* years running. We've been on a steady downward trajectory for the past several years and age/injury continuing to add up isn't gonna do the very expensive, very important core any favors. Especially when the supporting cast is as miserably bad as it is, despite having some recognizable names.

*If you count the Montreal play-in series, which I guess technically counts, but we didn't make the real 1st round. :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Jake, Rust, Zucker, I would look at moving all 3 to change things up and I think it’s high and time to move Malkin to wing to get him to last longer in a season so he’s just relying on his offense and helping out defensively.

I’d probably look at trying to get Larkin from the Wings.

Jake + Rust for Larkin + Bertuzzi + 3rd

Then I move Pettersson + DeSmith to Oilers for Larsson and their 2nd in 2022.

Sign someone like Halak or Bernier as the back up, or Smith as he handles the puck well and could be a good influence on WHEN TO f***ING HANDLE THE PUCK. But I hate Smith as he’s a spazz but he’s a guy Hextall might like.

Zucker, Crosby, Bertuzzi
Malkin, Larkin, Kapanen
McCann, Carter, UFA
ZAR, Blueger, Tanev

Dumoulin, Letang
Matheson, Marino
POJ, Larsson

Jarry
Smith/Bernier/Halak

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Jake, Rust, Zucker, I would look at moving all 3 to change things up and I think it’s high and time to move Malkin to wing to get him to last longer in a season so he’s just relying on his offense and helping out defensively.

I’d probably look at trying to get Larkin from the Wings.

Jake + Rust for Larkin + Bertuzzi + 3rd

Then I move Pettersson + DeSmith to Oilers for Larsson and their 2nd in 2022.

Sign someone like Halak or Bernier as the back up, or Smith as he handles the puck well and could be a good influence on WHEN TO f***ING HANDLE THE PUCK. But I hate Smith as he’s a spazz but he’s a guy Hextall might like.

Zucker, Crosby, Bertuzzi
Malkin, Larkin, Kapanen
McCann, Carter, UFA
ZAR, Blueger, Tanev

Dumoulin, Letang
Matheson, Marino
POJ, Larsson

Jarry
Smith/Bernier/Halak
Ideally I would also maybe look at moving Dumoulin. His decline is going to hit hard and they are better to move him now.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
When you have game breakers like ZAR and eROD, and SUCKer how can you blame him! Ha
Thing is he loves the Jankowski’s, ZAR’s, Gaudreau’s, and Roddy Rod’s of the NHL. He uses them like they’re his ace up his sleeve. He’s just too stupid like Bylsma with that type of shit for me to ever think he will figure it out again here.

I’d honestly interview Tocchet again as I really think he’s the mastermind with the “style” the Pens won with.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I've been all aboard Team Chaos for a long time. Another 1st round exit where the usual suspects failed to show up just makes me think we're that much closer to the team going nuclear. I'm not convinced we'll see anything but minimal changes though, not until we bomb out again next playoffs--assuming we make it.

I'm bored to death watching a team of fancy names plod around and accomplish as much as a team like Ottawa, Detroit or Buffalo for all intents and purposes. Yay, cool, we made the playoffs for 15* years running. We've been on a steady downward trajectory for the past several years and age/injury continuing to add up isn't gonna do the very expensive, very important core any favors. Especially when the supporting cast is as miserably bad as it is, despite having some recognizable names.

*If you count the Montreal play-in series, which I guess technically counts, but we didn't make the real 1st round. :laugh:
Lets trade for Tom Wilson.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Pittsburgh's empty net: 0.41 goals saved above expected
Tristan Jarry: -3.42 goals saved above expected

I don't even know if that's a legit stat, but Jarry was so shit that I'm not even questioning it. :laugh:

Reactions: KIRK

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Gibson sorts out the goalie situation instantly. Exceptional talent, imo.

But you can't afford that guy without opening up big holes elsewhere in the lineup. That's even assuming Anaheim wants anything other than premium futures like 1sts and top prospects.

The only moves this team should be making are departures, imo. If they're content letting the core ride out their current deals, so be it, I'm not gonna argue against the big three and their right to let their careers end however they choose. But any number of players outside of Sid, Geno and Letang could be dealt in a heartbeat and I wouldn't bat an eye. Nobody on this roster should be off the block.

I don't think there's a chance in hell Anaheim would move him. You don't move a franchise goalie like that.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think there's a chance in hell Anaheim would move him. You don't move a franchise goalie like that.
Probably not, but it wouldn't surprise me for the Ducks to deal him and get a king's ransom when it comes to futures.

They're a ways away, and Gibson's probably gonna north of 30 by the time they even start to sniff the playoff picture.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Probably not, but it wouldn't surprise me for the Ducks to deal him and get a king's ransom when it comes to futures.

They're a ways away, and Gibson's probably gonna north of 30 by the time they even start to sniff the playoff picture.

Goalies seem to age better than any other position. I'd probably still keep him were I them. I'd love to have him don't get me wrong. Hometown kid and totally elite. I can't see the Ducks even considering it though. Not for anything we can offer at any rate.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Thing is he loves the Jankowski’s, ZAR’s, Gaudreau’s, and Roddy Rod’s of the NHL. He uses them like they’re his ace up his sleeve. He’s just too stupid like Bylsma with that type of shit for me to ever think he will figure it out again here.

I’d honestly interview Tocchet again as I really think he’s the mastermind with the “style” the Pens won with.
I said I was all for Tocc coming back in some capacity as long as every single other coaching staff member is shit canned.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I said I was all for Tocc coming back in some capacity as long as every single other coaching staff member is shit canned.
Sully
Reirden
Vellucci

All can go f*** off.

I'd go..

Tocchet
Let him build his bench.

Because the Pens seem to dictate their coach's assistants and that's f***ed up.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
We can draw conclusions off of the past several trips to the playoffs, dating back to the Caps series. Sid doesn't have what it takes to power a top line anymore if/when his wingers aren't up to task, and this team doesn't have the assets or cap to get him anything better. So either he makes due or he doesn't. And I'm not even talking about production, Sid looked like trash all series. He wasn't pressing, he wasn't creating at ES, he just simply was zero threat. Maybe that's Jake and Rust, maybe that's Sullivan's inability or refusal to get him away from the Isles' top pairing, maybe that's Sid just not being able to hack it anymore.

But from a production perspective as well as a "was he creating chances or pressuring offensively" perspective, Sid came up miserably short. I know there are a lot of variables in play, but I find it genuinely incorrect for people to imply Sid still has what it takes to live up to his expectation as a 1C making huge money. He doesn't have what it takes anymore to power a lackluster line or lackluster team through the playoffs, and we don't have the assets or cap to give him any better options at wing to make up for his inability.

Sure. If he can't help this team win, move him. That goes for anyone on the roster. I'm a Penguins fan, not a Crosby, Malkin, or Jake fan. This chapter's closed and if it's in this team's best interest to move on from anyone and everyone, go for it. I'd rather watch a team of nobodies fail than to watch a team of big names fail.

I have no allegiance to millionaires who don't even know I exist. People who latch on to sports stars, develop weird parasocial relationships with them and act like they're infallible or deserve some kind of undying adoration are weird.

Trading Sid is not happening. I don’t know why you keep suggesting it. This is a business and Sid is one of the biggest stars in the game still. He’s a massive revenue driver for our organization, not a cost. You may not see the value in that, but I can assure you the people who matter do.

Reactions: canadianguy77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad