Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Clever Thread Title Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Curious...if Bruins let Halak go be a UFA and use Swayman as their backup next season would you guys want Pens to sign Halak to backup and mentor Jarry and trade DeSmith?

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Curious...if Bruins let Halak go be a UFA and use Swayman as their backup next season would you guys want Pens to sign Halak to backup and mentor Jarry and trade DeSmith?
Halak is going to make double what DeSmith makes on the open market. The time of Halak has long past.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I mean, it's even lazier to say "we can't criticize anyone specifically because everyone has been shit".

We can criticize, but we should hold Crosby, Guentzel, Malkin, and Letang to the same standard we hold Rust.

He didn't underperform as much as they did the last couple playoff runs. If he's disposable because of those performances, they aren't exempt.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Rask might retire tho.

"This past February, Rask again hinted at retirement when speaking with Matt Porter of The Boston Globe: “I have one year left in the contract, so we'll see if I even play,” he told Porter. When asked if not playing was a “real possibility,” Rask replied: “We'll see. Always a possibility.”"

Rask says he could retire after contract with Bruins expires: report

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Rask might retire tho.

"This past February, Rask again hinted at retirement when speaking with Matt Porter of The Boston Globe: “I have one year left in the contract, so we'll see if I even play,” he told Porter. When asked if not playing was a “real possibility,” Rask replied: “We'll see. Always a possibility.”"

Rask says he could retire after contract with Bruins expires: report
Ah so there goes that, would assume they keep Halak to bring Swayman along.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Might be correct for the three seasons preceding this one - I was including this season and the two before as what will be the three seasons prior to his next contract.

Either way you dice it is a difference, but I don't think it's as important as the season immediately preceding and the high water mark, which are very similar.

The difference is pretty considerable. The most recent year is the most heavily weighted, I agree, but this year is obviously Palmieri's outlier and track record matters too.

Smith had only 1 season in his last 5 where he scored over .5 P/G when he signed that contract. Palmieri hadn't dipped below .66 P/G in the 5 seasons before this year. That's a huge discrepancy - Palmieri is historically a far more productive player.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

Jarry and DeSmith have been great pretty much all season, there is no point in doing this IMO.

Halak will ask for more money and we need that cash elseswhere on the roster. Jarry/DeSmith can keep splitting the season

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

No, once both rounded into form, both were great and exactly what we need. I see no need to rock the goaltending boat at the moment unless Seattle takes Desmith.

On the to-do list, messing with goalies is pretty low I imagine.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Haven't a significant number of Palmeiri's points been on the PP also? Rust does so many of the little things. I don't understand why we would deal him to bring on an older guy. I don't see this trade making us any better. I'd be shocked at Palmeiri getting $3.5m a year. FA's are paid a premium. Rust is definitely worth at least $1.5m per more than him.

If you want to dump salary, start at Petterson and Matheson. We have a great line with Jake - Sid - Rust. Does anyone want to see the likes of Sheary on Sid's line again?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Zis has been Goalie Chat and now iz zee time vhen ve dance.

sprockets.gif

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't really agree that you have to get younger if you move Rust. I think the reason we're moving Rust isn't because he's about to be 30 when his deal is up, but that he's due for a pretty significant raise at the same time we need to re-sign a ton of guys; Geno, Letang, McCann, Kap, and DeSmith. If you can, get Hyman, a guy who fills Rust's role and could provide very similar production while at the same time, getting a haul (Kapanen-like return of a mid-1st and good/great prospect) for Rust before he will absolutely, 100% walk next summer (imo). I think that makes us as good in the immediate and helps accomplish the goal longer-term as well. This core probably only has one or two more serious runs in 'em anyway, Geno himself said as much.

It won't happen, the team will be fine letting him walk before moving him early and I'm not sure that's the wrong move even if it's not what I think they should do, but it's interesting to think about.

I feel like the best thing to do with goalies is keep a steady stream of them on the farm. Even above average goalies have a relatively short shelf-life in this league before people get a read on them or they need a change of scenery.
Agreed. It's a very, very rare case when you stumble upon a Vasi or a Gibson or something like that. For the most part, you just need a goalie that's not going to lose you games, not guys that are perennial Vezina all-stars.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
We can criticize, but we should hold Crosby, Guentzel, Malkin, and Letang to the same standard we hold Rust.

He didn't underperform as much as they did the last couple playoff runs. If he's disposable because of those performances, they aren't exempt.

100% fair.

As an aside, I think it's hilarious that some people don't realize that, in the last two playoffs, Crosby has as few points as Malkin and that Bryan Rust's total is only 1 point less than that.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Just random thought about the Seattle draft, I see that Arizona have a whopping four Dmen coming off their books in Gogo, Demers, Hjalmarsson, and Jordan Oesterle. So the essentially have three slots to use for OEL, Chychrun and their No.7 D. I assume some of those UFAs will be back, of course.

I wonder if they might be a decent landing slot for Petts via trade before the draft gets underway, and if they might be tempted to move one of Crouse or Christian Fischer in a "change of scenery" swap. Neither have really capitalized on their early promise. And while I know we dont need to be reclamation project central on the Pens, having a cheap, big, long pantsy 24 year old, and bringing them into our system might switch on the lightbulb. Plus, both are RFAs in a year, so not long term commitments, and if we stand to lose someone like Zucker or ZAR in the expansion draft getting some (potential) middle six wing depth that can play hard and score might be nice.

At the very least, we shed about 2.5-3M in cap. And swap a longer term commitment for a shorter team deal we can just walk away from if needed.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
100% fair.

As an aside, I think it's hilarious that some people don't realize that, in the last two playoffs, Crosby has as few points as Malkin and that Bryan Rust's total is only 1 point less than that.

I don't think anyone has been hesitant to criticize Crosby's play in the playoffs?

He sucked in 2018 and was decent in 2019. Just like Malkin was decent in 2018 and sucked in 2019.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think anyone has been hesitant to criticize Crosby's play in the playoffs?

He sucked in 2018 and was decent in 2019. Just like Malkin was decent in 2018 and sucked in 2019.

I didn't say people weren't willing to criticize Crosby. Hence the use of the word SOME. Implicit in that is that some people, like you, do realize it. But you know damn well there are a handful who don't.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The difference is pretty considerable. The most recent year is the most heavily weighted, I agree, but this year is obviously Palmieri's outlier and track record matters too.

Smith had only 1 season in his last 5 where he scored over .5 P/G when he signed that contract. Palmieri hadn't dipped below .66 P/G in the 5 seasons before this year. That's a huge discrepancy - Palmieri is historically a far more productive player.

Fair enough if that's how you see it, but I think the most recent will be far more heavily weighted - otherwise Toffoli's and Smith's cap hits would have likely been a lot closer - and I don't think they'll be looking much beyond the last three. And when you look there, the case for Palmieri to get a much bigger number doesn't look great for me.

Haven't a significant number of Palmeiri's points been on the PP also? Rust does so many of the little things. I don't understand why we would deal him to bring on an older guy. I don't see this trade making us any better. I'd be shocked at Palmeiri getting $3.5m a year. FA's are paid a premium. Rust is definitely worth at least $1.5m per more than him.

If you want to dump salary, start at Petterson and Matheson. We have a great line with Jake - Sid - Rust. Does anyone want to see the likes of Sheary on Sid's line again?

If Sheary on Sid's line is such a downer, why are we happy with a guy whose offensive line stats with Sid are very, very similar?

But yeah, Palmieri does get a lot of PP points, and his 5v5 numbers are lower, so there'd be a bit of a gamble in replacing one with the other - although, really, there's only one season where Rust's 5v5 production is significantly higher than Palmieri's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad