Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread| 11 Days - TDL Being "Center" of Attention

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Probably not no

It definitely doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside, especially looking at Virtanen's production this year (only 4 goals and 0 assists), but it satisfies the desire for a power forward/physicality that Hextall and Burke have while not losing the Penguins any picks and also helping their cap situation and logjam on LD.

I just question if you could really get more than that for Pettersson.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
So, which big bruising wingers are available for trade this year?

Maybe Vegas will trade us back Reaves so he can ragdoll Tom Wilson again.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
For shits and giggles, do you make this trade:

Penguins trade Pettersson and Sceviour
Canucks trade Virtanen and Sutter at $2.5 million
If I had any faith that Sully wouldn't try to make McCann/Zucker - Sutter - Virtanen the L3 and BART the L4, maybe.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

I don't have a super high opinion of Virtanen and I can't even imagine where Sutter would fit on this team. Plus his previous go-round here wasn't exactly stellar.

If that's the best Hextall could do... might as well just keep Dragon

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't have a super high opinion of Virtanen and I can't even imagine where Sutter would fit on this team. Plus his previous go-round here wasn't exactly stellar.

If that's the best Hextall could do... might as well just keep Dragon

I'm not super high on Virtanen either, but it's not exactly going to be easy to add the grit/size that Hextall and Burke are emphatically saying they want. I would also hope that Sutter would only be a depth C who might get in the lineup if there's an injury, but I'm pretty sure the above was right and they'd go with McCann-Sutter-Virtanen as the 3A line.

Maybe just simplify it to Pettersson for Virtanen to avoid giving Sullivan the chance to do that with Sutter.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Virtanen sounds like exactly like Lafferty, tbh.

Idk so does Bennett but that wouldn't stop me from acquiring him for cheap.

For as much as I shit talk Lafferty, I'd be at least fine with him as a 4th liner if he'd just cut out the dumb penalties. A better version of Lafferty without the dumb penalties, which I think is a fair description of both Bennett and Virtanen (Virtanen has a lot of PIM but a decent amount of them are coincidental roughings, misconducts or fights), doesn't sound like an awful player to me.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's also worth pointing out that Virtanen's fancy stats are pretty good overall:

It's also hilarious how much his chart aligns with Denis Gurianov:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sanford wouldn't work for me because he's another LWer, when the Penguins really need to add a center or a RWer if they're adding a big player.

Valid, but I can't think of a C/RW I like in this mould.

This is the sort of move I'm worried about tbh. It'll make the Burke happy but I'm less sold it making the team better.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

I don't want both. I could live with one for Petts Straight up. Is Sutter or Virtanen really that much better than Erod right now who is probably the weakest link when healthy.

Jake - Sid - Rust
Zucker - Geno - Kap
Virtanen - McCann - Tanev
Zar - TB - Erod
Sceviour/Gaudreau/Lafferty

Jake - Sid - Rust
Zucker - Geno - Kap
McCann - TB - Tanev
Zar - Sutter - Erod
Sceviour/Gaudreau/Lafferty

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is the sort of move I'm worried about tbh. It'll make the Burke happy but I'm less sold it making the team better.

I had this same thought, then I found Virtanen's fancy chart from McCurdy and I'm much less concerned with that. Virtanen is a strong play driving forward analytically and I think he could be a good replacement for Rust down the line, if they decide to let him walk.

My concern is that they'd leave McCann exposed to protect Virtanen, which I wouldn't be that thrilled about. I also think it's worth pointing out that there were some unflattering rumors about Virtanen and McCann when they were on a team together in Vancouver. I would hope they would have matured by now, McCann definitely seems like he has but I've heard negative stuff about Virtanen off the ice.

Too bad his point totals dont :laugh:

He also had 36 points in 69 games last year, which was more than what Gurianov had. He's just having a bad year this year.

I think he's probably only a 30-35 point guy normally, probably like 25 ES points and 5-10 PP points a season if I had to guess. But that combined with his size, analytics and physicality results in a pretty solid 3rd liner IMO.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I had this same thought, then I found Virtanen's fancy chart from McCurdy and I'm much less concerned with that. Virtanen is a strong play driving forward analytically and I think he could be a good replacement for Rust down the line, if they decide to let him walk.

My concern is that they'd leave McCann exposed to protect Virtanen, which I wouldn't be that thrilled about. I also think it's worth pointing out that there were some unflattering rumors about Virtanen and McCann when they were on a team together in Vancouver. I would hope they would have matured by now, McCann definitely seems like he has but I've heard negative stuff about Virtanen off the ice.

He also had 36 points in 69 games last year, which was more than what Gurianov had. He's just having a bad year this year.

I think he's probably only a 30-35 point guy normally, probably like 25 ES points and 5-10 PP points a season if I had to guess. But that combined with his size, analytics and physicality results in a pretty solid 3rd liner IMO.

Ya and it could be a good buy low. I wouldn't be oppose to Virtanen, but I dont really want Sutter back.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
So, which big bruising wingers are available for trade this year?

Maybe Vegas will trade us back Reaves so he can ragdoll Tom Wilson again.

At this point you find someone and make them available [looking over at LA and Anaheim].

As for available - if Lucic's contract wasn't 3 years long and as expensive as it was he'd be fine as a rental. Retained again and screw the haters - I'd take him and slot him up and down the lineup. Up against slow grindy/interference laden teams and down when we're running transition. Bennett the jury is out on but I think he's unanimously agreed upon here as a solid option. The unfortunate thing for him is that if he does really really well (as whomever our power forward ends up being likely will - as it's a gaping hole we have) - we'd only have him for a couple months and he'd be commanding some $$.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Idk so does Bennett but that wouldn't stop me from acquiring him for cheap.

For as much as I shit talk Lafferty, I'd be at least fine with him as a 4th liner if he'd just cut out the dumb penalties. A better version of Lafferty without the dumb penalties, which I think is a fair description of both Bennett and Virtanen (Virtanen has a lot of PIM but a decent amount of them are coincidental roughings, misconducts or fights), doesn't sound like an awful player to me.

I think Bennett can be a little more vicious without chasing it, but yeah. I just like him bc he’s got some C capability and his PO track record. He’d thrive in a Wash series imo.

Overall I agree though. Would even say Virtanen probably has more upside from a boxcar stat perspective.

Im just saying that on paper the reports on Virtanen sound exactly like Laff. another big talented RH shot. Even wear same number lol.

So maybe I’d go with someone else bc I don’t think it makes a ton of sense to acquire Virtanen to replace Laff. Tbf it’s so immaterial a change that if you did it for cheap, I’d shrug.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Virtanen is a low IQ RW. I see no fit here. Adding Sutter goes completely against anything this team is about these days.

I think people are focusing way too much on Sutter in that deal. He's only included for cap reasons because Vancouver can't afford Pettersson for Virtanen straight up.

In a perfect world, you waive Sutter and leave him on the practice squad in case of an injury. Have him replace Sceviour's role with the team healthy.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think people are focusing way too much on Sutter in that deal. He's only included for cap reasons because Vancouver can't afford Pettersson for Virtanen straight up.

In a perfect world, you waive Sutter and leave him on the practice squad in case of an injury. Have him replace Sceviour's role with the team healthy.

In a perfect world Junko would've been snatched weeks ago too. I can't support putting a player like Sutter that is a coach favorite on this roster. Also, where does Virtanen fit? Why are we replacing any of Rust, Kapanen, or Tanev with him?

Reactions: ownal

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Some Flames fans are really pushing JG out the door. f***ing sucks we got nada to give.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Virtanen, I’d take a chance on. Bringing Sutter back is absolutely insane. Low skill guy who can PK? He’d never leave the lineup.

Reminder: 3/6 of Sutter’s goals this year are in one game. He’s absolute dogshit.

Bennett over Virtanen any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad