Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread| 11 Days - TDL Being "Center" of Attention

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I like Foligno or Laughton because they're pure rentals. That said, I think their current teams rather eat a poop sandwich than help us.

You being a good poster who posts good posts, you might also add that these are hockey players who contribute to getting their (bad) teams better results when they are on the ice than they do when they are not.

Guys like Bennett, Crouse and Lucic on the other hand stand out also because their teams have their worst ES results when they are on the ice.

But yeah, probably not the easiest guys to trade for. Laughton in particular would be a very nice get. He provided very nice offense earlier in the season when he was deployed at LW in the top 6, now he keeps a poor line usually even in the bottom 6 at C. I'd put him right in there with Geno first.

Last edited:

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Big players that are actually good are probably the most appreciated guys in the league by the old school GMs. If there is anything that is hard to find it's them. If we actually manage to find a reasonable trade for one I'll be very surprised. It's more likely we end up with one of the duds that just bangs bodies while getting scored on a lot.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Lawson Crouse is an ideal pick up. 23 yr old, 6’4, 225. Plays PP and PK for Arizona. Is equivocal enough to slide in on Line 2, which he does for ‘Yotes. Also had like 200 hits 2 yrs ago, or at least that was stated last week in one of their games.

In addition, I firmly believe we may see Scott Laughlin signed as a UFA this summer.

244 hits a few years ago, 201 last season, 92 this season. I can see us getting Crouse at or by the TD and Laughton as a FA when we clear room. I dunno who we get though, I just wanna get some dirty POS that defend the team while still trying to win.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Because of those are things Arizona does. In addition, they might be a team who could be interested in Pettersson because Hjalmarsson is out and rumors have them moving Goligoski.

In addition, Arizona scouts have been living at PPG Paints Arena, as well as Pens scouts watching Arizona.

Don't you know... Hot Dog man & Tocchet are coming back for Zucker, Sceviour and Jankowski

Guentzel, Crosby, Rust
McCann, Malkin, Kapanen
Tanev, Blueger, Kessel
ZAR, Gaudreau, Angello

Dumoulin, Letang
Matheson, Marino
Pettersson, Ceci

Jarry, DeSmith

Pay no attention to it being April 1st soon.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
True. Something about him getting rag dolled and hit the most in the league is unsettling on an injury front. Still think he is overpaid by 1 million but I didn't account for the cheap 1 year contract JR gave.

Hit - maybe (hit counts are sea stories at this point), ragdolled - I'd throw Donskoi in the mix. That dude gets wrecked on the regular.

Reactions: ownal

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
How much pro-rated cap space will we have at the trade deadline? I know almost none of our guys are LTIRd so we dont have much of a cushion.

Also, for guys like Jankowski and Sceviour, how much cap relief is generated if they are waived and put on the Taxi Squad?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
How much pro-rated cap space will we have at the trade deadline? I know almost none of our guys are LTIRd so we dont have much of a cushion.

Also, for guys like Jankowski and Sceviour, how much cap relief is generated if they are waived and put on the Taxi Squad?

Geno's LTIR, though?

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020

Jankowski makes the minimum so none

Sceviour to taxi saves 1.075M minus the cap of whoever replaces him, so 300-400K

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Matheson took the hardest usage in the stretch that Dumo was down and ran around a 48-49% xGF%. POJ and Riikola have got butter soft minutes and their xGF% is lower.

Riikola has played 2 games.

2 games. That's your sample size. :laugh:

His xGF% last year with his most common partner (Ruhwedel) - when there wasn't a comically tiny sample size - was through the roof: 57.91%. But sample size has been a complete non-factor for your players evaluations this whole season, so I guess I shouldn't expect it to start now.

Now compare Hornqvist to Joe Shmoe who we get to take his spot for 1 mil per.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
CF says we'll have 1.1m at the deadline.

Yeah, my sheet shows right around $1m, depending on "paper moves".

Jank not being on the NHL roster saves about $6k per day. Sceviour, about $9k per day -- which they were doing.

Oddly enough, the Pens were carrying 23 players on the roster on non-gamedays recently. Kinda screwing their cap space. In the past they were dropping it to 20 players.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Big players that are actually good are probably the most appreciated guys in the league by the old school GMs. If there is anything that is hard to find it's them. If we actually manage to find a reasonable trade for one I'll be very surprised. It's more likely we end up with one of the duds that just bangs bodies while getting scored on a lot.

Man, only if the Penguins had one of those guys.

cut.jpeg

Oh wait.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

There's a place for every kind of player on a winning roster.

Diversity isn't just good for society, it's good for teams. The Pens are too homogenized right now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There's a place for every kind of player on a winning roster.

Diversity isn't just good for society, it's good for teams. The Pens are too homogenized right now.

So much this, which is why I found the Gostisbehere talk so nonsensical. The Penguins defense right now is literally overflowing with undersized, puck moving offensive oriented defenseman. Why the hell are they adding another one of those?

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So much this, which is why I found the Gostisbehere talk so nonsensical. The Penguins defense right now is literally overflowing with undersized, puck moving offensive oriented defenseman. Why the hell are they adding another one of those?

Yeah, the only way Gostisbehere would make sense is if we could magically make Matheson disappear, and unfortunately we can't.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If he is all that then why would Arizona trade him?

Better yet. What would they want for him?

Because Arizona hemorrhaged their future by trading for Hall and cheating with the draft evaluations, so they're out a ton of high picks that they need to recuperate.

The issue is that the Penguins can't offer those picks. Crouse could definitely be moved, I just don't think the Penguins will be involved.

If I'm hoping for some big gritty guy who can actually play, then I'm hoping St Louis crash out of contention and for some reason give us Zach Sanford at a price we can afford that is strangely not beaten by someone else.

Sanford wouldn't work for me because he's another LWer, when the Penguins really need to add a center or a RWer if they're adding a big player.

I think Bennett and Virtanen are affordable.

Another guy I'd like to see them try to acquire is Lawson Crouse. He's not having a great year, but he'd be a good buy low candidate for them.

I think Pettersson for Virtanen isn't an unreasonable suggestion. I recall reading a rumor that Vancouver wanted to add a defenseman for Pettersson, and I think the name was Nutivaara that they were targeting. Pettersson is pretty similar to Nutivaara in play style, so that wouldn't surprise me if they would be interested in that swap.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Offensive oriented dmen that can’t score at that...(besides Tanger)

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yeah, my sheet shows right around $1m, depending on "paper moves".

Jank not being on the NHL roster saves about $6k per day. Sceviour, about $9k per day -- which they were doing.

Oddly enough, the Pens were carrying 23 players on the roster on non-gamedays recently. Kinda screwing their cap space. In the past they were dropping it to 20 players.
That’s just laziness by not making daily moves to save cap space. It seems like cap manipulation is the least a GM and their staff should do.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

Depending on the targeted players, I`m sure a deal will have to be made with the other teams in retaining some salary until the end of the season, something similar to what Montreal got from Buffalo for Staal

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
For shits and giggles, do you make this trade:

Penguins trade Pettersson and Sceviour
Canucks trade Virtanen and Sutter at $2.5 million

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Pettersson doesn’t make a ton of sense as a trade chip before the offseason

Don’t think they trust Friedman/POJ/Riikola enough to move him in season

I know most around here want him gone, but he’s been playing good enough hockey that there isn’t really a move with him that you can make right now that doesn’t make the defense worse to some extent

But I am 99% sure he’ll be gone this offseason

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad