Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: Lets do a better Reload than Hetfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
Some UFA names that I think could help us round into a more balanced, competitive, and more playoff ready team.

I focused more on d 4-6 and bottom 6 forwards, particularly a strong 3rd line. Who could play another teams 1st or 2nd line hard to create better matchups for aging Sid and Geno.

d) Hamonic. Brenden Dillon.
F) Girgensens (always seemed better than stats would show). Maroon. Nosek.

Have our bottom 6 balance these guys with faster youth for well rounded and cap efficient depth.

Reactions: WayneSid9987

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
What I'd do is trade McCann, Murray, Hornqvist and JJ, keep Bjugstad to battle it out with Blueger, ERod (who I'd re-sign) and Lafferty for the 3C spot and target 2 top-9 RWs (one for 1st and 3rd line), a bottom pair RD OFD and a veteran 1B via trade and free agency. I may also target a depth LD to push POJ to the AHL until POJ passes him, someone like Oleksiak.

Personally, I'd be comfortable with re-signing Sheary to be the 3rd line RW. I really like Poulin-Bjugstad-Sheary on paper if Bjugstad can get back to where he once was. But even if Bjugstad can't do that, I think either Rodrigues or Blueger can fit in those spots. I'd hope for a guy like Kapanen for the top line, a guy like Montour for the 3rd pair and a guy like Allen for the 1B position. I'd be pretty happy with this lineup:

Zucker-Crosby-Kapanen
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Poulin-Bjugstad/Rodrigues-Sheary
ZAR/Lafferty-Blueger-Tanev

Dumoulin-Marino
Pettersson-Letang
Oleksiak-Montour
Ruhwedel

Jarry-Allen

I was reading this and shaking my head up and down until I read keep Bjugstad. Lmfao...

He’s the always injured overpaid China counterfeit version of Jordan Staal. He’s the Johnson of our forwards. Just get him a Pens Jersey with offset lettering and numbers with the name Stall and 11 on the back.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
People are over-complicating this. Shed the bad contracts like JJ, no matter what. PLAY THE YOUNG GUYS WITH SPEED/TENACITY. Dump Marleau and Schultz and any other vet who doesn't have what it takes. Go after some other younger, fast guys with fire who can play Sullivan's system. Look at trading Hornqvist and/or Letang. Sign Jarry, trade Murray.

Yes, this is major surgery but it's not as difficult as some make it out to be. Surround the core with speed and tenacity and we will have at least two more very good chances to win. Giving up and not contending while Crosby and Malkin are on this team is absurd and shouldn't even be considered.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I was reading this and shaking my head up and down until I read keep Bjugstad. Lmfao...

He’s the always injured overpaid China counterfeit version of Jordan Staal. He’s the Johnson of our forwards. Just get him a Pens Jersey with offset lettering and numbers with the name Stall and 11 on the back.

Nah. Bjugstad will be fine if he’s used as a 4C.

Plus, I think mine, @Empoleon8771 and @Peat ‘s argument has been to give him a couple weeks and try to move him for as little as possible ala Gudbranson versus trying to pay a team to take him in the offseason ala Gudbranson.

namsnoodle

Feb 27, 2013
Im trying to look at available RW's available through free agents and the best that stand out are Corey Perry (could be had maybe for 1 year dear, otherwise, too old) Jesper Fast (I have to believe he may still be a part of the Rangers future though). Wayne Simmonds (I remember seeing rumors of Pens being potentially interested in him. Probably still has a couple decent years left in him, but would he fit the system?). Valeri Nichushkin (Most likely going back to Colorado if I had to guess). I suspect a trade will be made to give the RW role filled.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Yeah, once a big guy starts having back problems, he's never the same. Once he has surgery, it's nearly always over. Mario's the only such guy I can think of who did anything after back surgery, but Mario's Mario and it's not like his game didn't suffer for it. He'd miss near 50% of possible games over the rest of his career. Bjugstad's not the sort who does enough to put up with that, even at his best.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Im trying to look at available RW's available through free agents and the best that stand out are Corey Perry (could be had maybe for 1 year dear, otherwise, too old) Jesper Fast (I have to believe he may still be a part of the Rangers future though). Wayne Simmonds (I remember seeing rumors of Pens being potentially interested in him. Probably still has a couple decent years left in him, but would he fit the system?). Valeri Nichushkin (Most likely going back to Colorado if I had to guess). I suspect a trade will be made to give the RW role filled.

Nuke is going to get a decent raise. If we wanted him last year was the option. I think you have to look at UFAs next year.

Tbh, I imagine we give Simon a low salary deal and run..

Guentzel - Crosby - Simon
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Tanev - Bleuger - Hornqvist
Rodrigues - Bjugstad - Lafferty

With some type of addition made by moving McCann. Then move out picks or prospects for a player like Rakell, Palmeri, or a lesser option like Armia or Kase in season

Reactions: theicebox

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
To me it's obvious that RW is our top need. Yes, our bottom pairing needs replaced. Yes, we need a 3c. But if we find a guy who can man the left half wall on the power play, and make us a top ten PP team again, that would cover up a lot of deficiencies. Also wouldn't hurt to have someone who fits with Sid. We've tried Rust, Sheary, Simon, Hornqvist.... there's no fits there on the roster. We got to bring in someone from outside. My best suggestion now would be Palmieri, because he's on an affordable deal and NJ might be willing to sell with him being a UFA in 21.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Nuke is going to get a decent raise. If we wanted him last year was the option. I think you have to look at UFAs next year.

Tbh, I imagine we give Simon a low salary deal and run..

Guentzel - Crosby - Simon
Why would you do that to 87? Simon has to have the worst shot on the team or is a close second to ZAR. We need a guy who can put the puck in the net if he gets to play on the top line.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Why would you do that to 87? Simon has to have the worst shot on the team or is a close second to ZAR. We need a guy who can put the puck in the net if he gets to play on the top line.

Same reason you had him with Kunitz and Perron in 15-16 to start the season.

We have bigger problems then Crosby needing another 80 pt winger on his RW and if we don’t then we have bigger problems then Crosby needing another 80 pt winger.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Same reason you had him with Kunitz and Perron in 15-16 to start the season.

We have bigger problems then Crosby needing another 80 pt winger on his RW and if we don’t then we have bigger problems then Crosby needing another 80 pt winger.
We need a guy who can score at least double digit goals. The notion that Simon should play there is ludicrous. Literally anyone else on the team (beside ZAR) should be able to get at least that.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
We have five of them in the top six. And six if you want to bump Horny.
So then why would you want to put arguably our worst goal scorer on the top line? It makes no sense. The days of forwards being put in positions to leech off of Sid and Geno should be firmly in the rear view mirror. Those two need all of the help they can get now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
So then why would you want to put arguably our worst goal scorer on the top line? It makes no sense. The days of forwards being put in positions to leech off of Sid and Geno should be firmly in the rear view mirror. Those two need all of the help they can get now.

Simon creates “space”. Also, our goal would be not to have him there permanently.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Sid sure enjoys playing with shitty toys like Sheary and Simon. Hopefully we get him a different toy or he likes playing with Poulin next year.

I wish we could put Dupuis in a time travel vacuum and bring him back. I'm sure this is going to be an unpopular opinion but he was one of the most underrated and under appreciated all around Penguins in the past few decades. With or without Sid, the guy was always putting up great even strength numbers, was a rock solid penalty killer and you could trust him at the end of the game. He might not have had the best hands but the guy hustled his ass off and produced.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Sid sure enjoys playing with shitty toys like Sheary and Simon. Hopefully we get him a different toy or he likes playing with Poulin next year.

I wish we could put Dupuis in a time travel vacuum and bring him back. I'm sure this is going to be an unpopular opinion but he was one of the most underrated and under appreciated all around Penguins in the past few decades. With or without Sid, the guy was always putting up great even strength numbers, was a rock solid penalty killer and you could trust him at the end of the game. He might not have had the best hands but the guy hustled his ass off and produced.

Sheary was arguably our best wing this playoffs and I’m not a fan of his.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
You can shuffle around the bottom 6 all you want, but if we have no identity and no D to get them the puck it won't work anyway. It sucks that McCann and Bjugstad haven't worked out perfect as 3C, but that's not why we lost 9 out of the 10 last playoff games.

I think Sully has to go first and foremost. Either his message isn't getting through any more or he's sending the wrong message, it doesn't matter which.

JJ has to go, Schultz is too expensive to be a 5/6 D so he can walk. There are a few one dimensional offensive Dmen in free agency. I'm sure we can attract one or two.

If you can sign McCann for cheap you do it, but I think that makes Sheary expendable cause I don't think he should be a centre. He's too defensive. I'd be open to Horny going but I doubt he brings anything of value back.

I'm not sure about Murray, it really depends on what he asks for. It's definitely a risk to trade him but I'm down with risk if it means you get something good back.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Nah. Bjugstad will be fine if he’s used as a 4C.

Plus, I think mine, @Empoleon8771 and @Peat ‘s argument has been to give him a couple weeks and try to move him for as little as possible ala Gudbranson versus trying to pay a team to take him in the offseason ala Gudbranson.

Yeah. People mightn't like him but as a checklist exercise, the only thing stopping him from having some NHL value is the constant injuries this season. If you can demonstrate he's actually fit, the price point changes quickly.

And if he can't stay fit we don't need to move his salary.

Either way, I think that unless you come up with a plan that needs his salary space right this second this off-season, you're probably best off waiting.

Also... he was the 3C of our best third line since HBK, he does an NHL history of scoring goals, and he does have some skill. Unless people want to spend big on a 3C - if there's even one available - he's going to be about as good as the other options. Not a lot of point paying to get Bjugstad taken away only so you can pay to get another version of him.

Would the Senators consider a Murray for Batherson + 21st overall trade?

I think either alone would be a great return for Murray, both would be a haul.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I have no idea how to fix this mess. Rangers, Carolina and Flyers will probably be even better next season while we seem to be in rapid decline.

Feeling right now is that its far from a given we make the POs next season. So while picking 15 is nice, next seasons pick might be even higher.

Do we keep it risking sending a top 10 pick to the wild next season?

I have no idea. Lucky for me, I'm not paid to either.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I have no idea how to fix this mess. Rangers, Carolina and Flyers will probably be even better next season while we seem to be in rapid decline.

Feeling right now is that its far from a given we make the POs next season. So while picking 15 is nice, next seasons pick might be even higher.

Do we keep it risking sending a top 10 pick to the wild next season?

I have no idea. Lucky for me, I'm not paid to either.
I honestly think we keep it. If we trade it and go for next year I see us possibly moving Malkin or letang and just going full tank mode.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Whether it's Hornqvist or a player not currently on the roster, Crosby needs to be forced into playing down low more. Right now he only wants speed and "give and go" on his line, which over the last two playoffs has proven really easy to defend against.

Reactions: WayneSid9987

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

So what are you going to do with Bjugstad and the 3C spot then? It's easy to shit on Bjugstad, but if you're trading McCann, you don't exactly have a lot of options available for the 3C spot.

The goal of keeping Bjugstad is to see if he can get back to the level he was at in 2018-2019 for the Penguins. If he can't, he's an expensive extra forward for 1 year. I don't see a problem with going into camp next year with him, Rodrigues, Blueger and Lafferty battling it out for the 3C spot.

There isn't much available for 3Cs in free agency and I don't see why you'd trade a lot for a more sure thing 3C when you have 2 or 3 players that I think can be a 3C already.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox

Dan Kingarski or how ever the holy hell you spell his stupid name is the guy with a bone for Wayne Simmonds and keeps bringing that name up every year. It wouldn't be a bad idea if Wayne Simmonds didn't suck these days.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Dan Kingarski or how ever the holy hell you spell his stupid name is the guy with a bone for Wayne Simmonds and keeps bringing that name up every year. It wouldn't be a bad idea if it wasn't a bad idea.

Edited for accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad