GDT: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap/Free Agency Frenzy GDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
my one positive take on today is that the Pens might have been saved from themselves by being so close to the cap even after two cap-saving trades.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Yeah i think you are off base here. Whether you thought he played a complete game or not is definitely a solid argument. But a guy who can snap a puck in and produce 80 points is a game changer in today's NHL.

We can't sit here and act like he isn't a game changer. Come on, now.

He CAN snap a puck - no argument. However, he hasn't snapped the puck in 2 full seasons - that's the argument.

He left his best tool at home consistently for the past two seasons. Most if not all of his goals were in low-dishes from Geno or whomever. Phil coming down the side (or even out-skating someone) to snap a wrister hasn't been seen since the 2016/2017 season. The rest of his game is not extraordinary at all. Perhaps his passing game is in the upper-echelon, but the rest of his hockey is rather average. Had he used that wrist shot more often (or ever) - I'd have been arguing to find a way to keep him.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I'm hoping there aren't any major moves, if any at all.

Rutherford hasn't had much luck in free agency. If I had to rank each one, I'd say. Cullen and Comeau were the best. Ehrhoff, Downie, Fehr were decent. Ehrhoff was a good signing, it just didn't work out. I thought Downie was decent despite his penalties and Fehr was solid in 2016. Hunwick and Johnson were rather poor signings.

Not completely terrible, but I think his mindset of getting younger and faster should be the status quo moving forward. They have 10 forwards signed and hopefully Blueger will be back, so that's 11. They're basically fine defensively, they just need to sign Pettersson. I know people want Jack Johnson gone but seeing what it costs teams to move a bad contract, I'm not sure if I'd be willing to give up something just to get rid of someone. I'd honestly rather buy out the contract and take the hit on the cap moving forward than trade a good prospect or pick.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
The UFA D class sucks. What would anyone even want to add from that group? Ben Chiarot is probably the only name that's still available I'd consider. JR will need to fix that D through trade, if anything.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The UFA D class sucks. What would anyone even want to add from that group? Ben Chiarot is probably the only name that's still available I'd consider. JR will need to fix that D through trade, if anything.

There are no free agent defensemen that would be better to sign than just scratching Johnson and playing Riikola.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Which, paradoxically means that we could have a decent opportunity here, because people are going to jump at some dumbass contracts as they panic, and the value for someone like Schultz will go up.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Which, paradoxically means that we could have a decent opportunity here, because people are going to jump at some dumbass contracts as they panic, and the value for someone like Schultz will go up.

The problem is that our blueline needs Schultz more than anyone else does, and once he goes we'd have to pay a premium for a replacement.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I think he meant a trade then bring in Stralman since he’s a UFA

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The problem is that our blueline needs Schultz more than anyone else does, and once he goes we'd have to pay a premium for a replacement.

Now, sure. But come trade deadline, if things shake out well, then we'd have more options. Either way, I wouldn't expect us to sign any defenders today unless something crazy happens.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Cole was saying how we have no good skating Dmen outside Letang...that is true.

Which is why i think Riikola should've been used waay more last season and should be on the third pair to start the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad