GDT: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap/Free Agency Frenzy GDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruru71

Jun 25, 2014
Brian Boyle for super cheap seems like a Pens move
Was thinking that but not sure he will be super cheap. Think they are looking for a forward like him who can be put in the tough situations to protect leads and pk while chipping in 10 goals.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Okay.

Anyway, if the Penguins do want to add a 2-way bottom-6 forward who brings leadership, I'm praying it's Williams and I'd also be fine with Pominville.

When pommer was in his prime I thought he would have been a great winger for sid... hows his skating now a days? Can he keep up as a pk'ing 3rd or 4th liner?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I dont understand how this team can look at the roster and feel like another bottom-6 forward is what we need.

Especially after losing a dynamic game-changing forward. Like I respect the reason 81 is gone. I get it. I understand it. That doesn't take away the fact we lost a game changer who produced at a PPG here. We have nobody to fill that role.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I dont understand how this team can look at the roster and feel like another bottom-6 forward is what we need.

Agreed.

Unless they're still looking at trading someone like Rust. OR they're not entirely comfortable with some of the young guys we have.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

They must be looking at someone that has 1 elite (or very good) skill that we lack instead of the average at everything. We got away from that the last couple years (eg Daley, Hags, Bonino even Sheary)

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

Agreed. Especially if that player comes with any sort of term more than a year. There are enough interesting prospects down in WBS who could probably make some sort of impact by the middle of the season.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Especially after losing a dynamic game-changing forward. Like I respect the reason 81 is gone. I get it. I understand it. That doesn't take away the fact we lost a game changer who produced at a PPG here. We have nobody to fill that role.

Support players are support players. You can't look at this roster and say we have a good 4th line like the Cup teams either. Losing Kessel stings, but there's other holes in this roster too.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

I mean seriously - Phil hasn't been a gamechanger in two years. You watch all the games - you do the plus minus, you've hit on him several times for effort and lack of shooting. If anything we lost that 'dynamic game-changer' in the fall of 2017.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I mean seriously - Phil hasn't been a gamechanger in two years. You watch all the games - you do the plus minus, you've hit on him several times for effort and lack of shooting. If anything we lost that 'dynamic game-changer' in the fall of 2017.

Yeah i think you are off base here. Whether you thought he played a complete game or not is definitely a solid argument. But a guy who can snap a puck in and produce 80 points is a game changer in today's NHL.

We can't sit here and act like he isn't a game changer. Come on, now.

Reactions: Rave7215

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
We already have 12 NHL forwards after Blueger/ZAR sign and then Palve, AJ etc after that. I'll wait too see who we sign first but it just seems like a dumb idea. That Defence needs alot of work. I'd get sekera long before another bottom-6 forward.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
We can't replace Kessel's potential game changing nature in FA if we tried, so I'm happier with not trying and addressing other needs. I'm not sure beefing up the bottom 6 is what's needed, but I'm listening.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah i think you are off base here. Whether you thought he played a complete game or not is definitely a solid argument. But a guy who can snap a puck in and produce 80 points is a game changer in today's NHL.

We can't sit here and act like he isn't a game changer. Come on, now.

We also can't keep burning a torch for him all season because we got other things to deal with. :dunno: Hate to see Phil go, but he's gone, man. Ain't nothing we can do about it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
We already have 12 NHL forwards after Blueger/ZAR sign and then Palve, AJ etc after that. I'll wait too see who we sign first but it just seems like a dumb idea. That Defence needs alot of work. I'd get sekera long before another bottom-6 forward.

They don't need to do a lot of work on the defense, just getting rid of Johnson and maybe bringing in a veteran to push Riikola is all they need to do. This defense is plenty good enough:

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
Riikola/UFA-Gudbranson
UFA/Riikola-Ruhwedel

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Williams would be a great pick up but id be shocked if he signed for less than 3-3.5 million. He still had over 50 point s last year and had insane possession numbers. I bet he signs a 3 year deal around 10-11 million. Pens dont have that space unless JJ is moved.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Williams would be a great pick up but id be shocked if he signed for less than 3-3.5 million. He still had over 50 point s last year and had insane possession numbers. I bet he signs a 3 year deal around 10-11 million. Pens dont have that space unless JJ is moved.

We can move other guys too if needed.

Although, Williams in, Johnson + a sweetener out - that would be dreamy.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino