Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap - And meanwhile back at the Candlerock Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
There's pretty much never a guy who's 2011 Kunitz available insofar as I understand it. Teams just don't like that sort of guy go if they can help it - grow them or go without.

The closest I can think of is JT Miller this past off-season.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
There's pretty much never a guy who's 2011 Kunitz available insofar as I understand it. Teams just don't like that sort of guy go if they can help it - grow them or go without.

Idk but Shero was able to trade for an available Kunitz in Anaheim...all a matter of what you’re willing to give up...gave up a solid D man who was promising at the time...it’s going to cost us a younger player we like but it can be done...

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
IF the right player/fit is available - i'd EASILY pass off the first round pick this year. I wouldn't even give a **** for 1 second. As long as it is a guy who fits.

That's the million dollar question

We all thought Brass was the right fit

No one has the crystal ball. Because if you could rewind time, wouldn't you pay 2 first rounders for Kunitz if you knew then what you know now?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Does Tatar get mentioned much? He seems like a guy who'd work well with our two stars. Smart guy with good hands and a nice touch around the net. Defensively responsible enough as well that we don't have to worry about Sullivan putting him on the 4th line because of his play away from the puck.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Does Tatar get mentioned much? He seems like a guy who'd work well with our two stars. Smart guy with good hands and a nice touch around the net. Defensively responsible enough as well that we don't have to worry about Sullivan putting him on the 4th line because of his play away from the puck.

Montreal has been trying to move him to us on the trade forum for months.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

No one has the crystal ball. Because if you could rewind time, wouldn't you pay 2 first rounders for Kunitz if you knew then what you know now?

Yeah that's really what they lean on their pro scouts for, I suppose. Because you're right.

I do have to wonder how well Brassard would have done here if the Penguins weren't kind of in the middle of an identity crisis and had some other dramas going on. Probably not much better. Combination of wrong fit and this team simply being really dumb and obsessed trying to chase 3Cs.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

He’s not a sure thing...he was dreadful for a short time in Vegas as a rental...we’d really have to look at how he plays now vs what he’d be asked to do here...if there’s too much of a gap, he might not fit...I haven’t watched him enough to know why he bombed in Vegas but not in MTL so far...

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

I think Sully has an incredible feel for what this team needs and where to aptly place players throughout the line up. JR will obviously consult him before making a deal. I feel confident that a proper fit will be at the top of our priority list.

I believe they can weed certain players out who likely wouldn't fit here. I've mentioned guys like Foligno and many have talked about Craig Smith. I'd be very surprised if such players didn't fit in swimmingly.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
When looking for fit I think the only criteria needed is speed. If they can skate, the worst case scenario is they're another hagelin; superb on the forecheck and causing turnovers, while lacking offensively. Best case scenario we get a legit top 6 scoring threat that's ALSO superb on the forecheck.

Acquire someone who's speed isnt an asset, and your worst case scenario is Brassard

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
IF the right player/fit is available - i'd EASILY pass off the first round pick this year. I wouldn't even give a **** for 1 second. As long as it is a guy who fits.

Sounds like SJ is trying to get a 1st rounder. Lebanc for a 1st works for me. He can go on hot stretches and shouts Pens style of player.

Reactions: ColePens

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He’s not a sure thing...he was dreadful for a short time in Vegas as a rental...we’d really have to look at how he plays now vs what he’d be asked to do here...if there’s too much of a gap, he might not fit...I haven’t watched him enough to know why he bombed in Vegas but not in MTL so far...

Wasn't it a case of Vegas not putting him in lineup/putting him on a "checking line" with Ryan Carpenter as his center?

If we traded for him it would be silly to put him next to ZAR and Blueger instead of Sid or Geno.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Idk but Shero was able to trade for an available Kunitz in Anaheim...all a matter of what you’re willing to give up...gave up a solid D man who was promising at the time...it’s going to cost us a younger player we like but it can be done...

My understanding of it is that Kunitz was no mean player when we traded for him, but he took extra steps forwards as a player to become the nightmare force that was 2011 Kunitz i.e. there had to be some internal development. Might be wrong, but that's my read of what's said around here.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
My understanding of it is that Kunitz was no mean player when we traded for him, but he took extra steps forwards as a player to become the nightmare force that was 2011 Kunitz i.e. there had to be some internal development. Might be wrong, but that's my read of what's said around here.

Kunitz was the same guy in Anaheim that he was for most of his time in Pittsburgh. His shot got way better after 2012 for a couple years before age got him though.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Kunitz actually had some of his best seasons in Anaheim... where he spent much less time than in Pittsburgh. But... and maybe I'm a LITTLE biased, here... he didn't become the legendary human buzzsaw 3-ass-1-goal maniac that he is primarily known for being until he came to Pittsburgh. More to the point his offensive game didn't completely blossom until he was a Penguin. Though riding shotgun with Sid and Malkin as basically one of if not THE only legit wing here for years will do that.

His last few years were... a bit different. But he had one last heroic trick up his sleeve so it's all good.

Reactions: Andy99 and Peat

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

He improved his point production obviously playing with Sid and Geno, but he was 29 years old and had three seasons of 20+ goals before the Pens acquired him...he was a better player here because he had the smarts to play well with our talent...but he was a very good player before that...it’d be like us picking up Kreider and ends up playing a more effective game here at age 29-34 than he played for the Rangers

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Kunitz was the same guy in Anaheim that he was for most of his time in Pittsburgh. His shot got way better after 2012 for a couple years before age got him though.

Because there were no goal scorers on the wing at that time until Neal came along. Same reason Sid started shooting more and getting more goals.

Kreider is exactly what you guys are looking for except he's UFA. Same age range and all.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He improved his point production obviously playing with Sid and Geno, but he was 29 years old and had three seasons of 20+ goals before the Pens acquired him...he was a better player here because he had the smarts to play well with our talent...but he was a very good player before that...it’d be like us picking up Kreider and ends up playing a more effective game here at age 29-34 than he played for the Rangers

Seen too many Rangers fans state he's now a bit shy of going hard around the net to believe in him, but I get your point.

But... I don't think what you and others are saying disagrees with mine too much. The full mesh of nigh-elite offensive prowess and all round wrecking ball wasn't on sale. A damn fine player was, and I'd say they seem to go about once every two years, maybe every one year depending on how tight your definitions are, but the peak performance took a little extra.

I feel like Vegas play a different style to us so I'm okay with that, but would like to watch more of him to get a feeling.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
When looking for fit I think the only criteria needed is speed. If they can skate, the worst case scenario is they're another hagelin; superb on the forecheck and causing turnovers, while lacking offensively. Best case scenario we get a legit top 6 scoring threat that's ALSO superb on the forecheck.

Acquire someone who's speed isnt an asset, and your worst case scenario is Brassard

We need speed of course, but first and foremost the player has to have way above average hockey IQ ...has to think the game fast and play fast, but not necessarily have elite foot speed...another Hags would be bad at this point because we need someone who doesn’t have hands of stone...we need a finisher...1) hockey IQ, 2) goal scoring touch, 3) speed

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Nah. Kunitz always played the same game. Only thing that changed with him was that he spent more time looking for soft spots as he aged (then eventually lost his hands) and less time hammering guys in the corner.

Whitney was the reason the trade happened (and the reason it didn't look lopsided until years later). Whitney had the look/reputation of a #2 D with great size when he went to Anaheim, so, at the most general, it was a #2 D with great size for a #4 wing with mediocre size, which is an on-paper win for them.

Unfortunately for the Ducks, Whitney wasn't what he seemed, partly because he was already damaged goods at that point, which wouldn't be expected with his age and lack of obvious physical injuries. At that time, it was probably Kunitz who carried the injury concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad