Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap - And meanwhile back at the Candlerock Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Kase would be a nice pickup.

he’s more of a depth forward than top 6...he may not even be available because he’s an injury magnet...I’d rather have the better offensive player since we’re missing scoring with Jake sidelined, although if he costs only AG, then I’m happy to pick him up

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
My impression from reading that article is:

1. JR is going after a fast top-6 winger that plays a very north-south game, with him mentioning how both Crosby and Malkin prefer to play with those kind of players.
2. He's going to trade the 1st. In the past, he's been much more adamant about not trading the first. His response in that article was pretty much "I don't want to, but I'm going to".
3. Reading between the lines, I don't get the vibe that JR would be trying to acquire a top-6 forward had Guentzel not gotten hurt. I think he's perfectly fine with acquiring a rental because he may think the Penguins don't need a top-6 forward with Guentzel healthy.

I think they either get Kreider and let him walk after the year or they get Zucker and trade Kahun in the off-season.

Play the **** out of the top-4 and I'm completely happy with that defense. MP-Marino has been analytically stellar as a pair and Dumoulin-Letang is obviously one of the best top pairs in hockey. I'm perfectly fine with having a crappy bottom pair (mostly in terms of how the two players fit) with how good the top-4 has been.

Honestly, Kreider would be fine with me and great here and if it costs our first, I’d pay it as long as it was lottery protected and JR had a plan to recoup some picks in the draft, I.e. trading one of our goalies in June...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think the big issue with Kreider is that we will be bidding against St. Louis and are in division.

True, we might have to play slightly more, maybe another mid range pick in 2021..but the Rangers have shown they’re willing to trade in division if that’s the best return...

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
he’s more of a depth forward than top 6...he may not even be available because he’s an injury magnet...I’d rather have the better offensive player since we’re missing scoring with Jake sidelined, although if he costs only AG, then I’m happy to pick him up

If Kase ever stays Healthy, hes a top 6 option.

love the player but i wouldnt trade for him, just because hes more injury prone than beau bennett.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd rather acquire Zucker and trade Kahun in the off-season over convincing the Rangers to trade Kreider in the division and quite possibly give the Penguins another cup. It just seems dramatically easier to go after Zucker, and I don't see anything that makes me think Kreider is a substantially better player than Zucker.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Why would the Rangers care about moving a rental inside the division?

They aren’t contending and it would make us weaker in the long term.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why would the Rangers care about moving a rental inside the division?

They aren’t contending and it would make us weaker in the long term.

When was the last time a substantial rental was traded within the division? Do you think it would not look bad on the Rangers if they gave Kreider to an in-division rival and they ended up winning a cup because of it?

There's also the real possibility that the Penguins could re-sign Kreider, meaning they would be feeling the impact of that trade for years to come too. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that the Penguins could make Kreider at $7 million AAV work long-term, and that's probably a reasonable number for him to get based on the Kane contract.

Last edited:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Ducks fans (two of them, at least) seem to have interest in the base of Addison+1st for one of their wingers. Not Silfverberg, though.

yeah, ANA is missing a RHD in their prospect pool but we only have one and he’s our best prospect...not giving up Addison for anything short of Pastrnak or something like him...

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens 2 way system is simply not a fot for AG and it is certainly not a fit for him. Palmieri, Zucker are the best fits and worth paying a small premium for. some like Rakell but don't think he is on the market at all. Palmieri is not either but I think a very good deal can be offered and interest would be there.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'd rather acquire Zucker and trade Kahun in the off-season over convincing the Rangers to trade Kreider in the division and quite possibly give the Penguins another cup. It just seems dramatically easier to go after Zucker, and I don't see anything that makes me think Kreider is a substantially better player than Zucker.

I’d rather have Saad or Zucker than Kreider just looking at them all as players. Kreider is probably the only one available for futures right now, though. Minnesota and Chicago are both in positions to play “we might make the playoffs” and there’s no way to know when that will end, while the Rangers aren't.

I’m just not crazy enough about the options that have been floated for awhile to part with the 1st or a promising prospect. I would for someone like Rakell but I have a hard time believing he’ll be moved right now.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Personally I'm not a fan of the idea of bringing in Kase. At least not for the prices Anaheim fans are quoting. He's nothing more than an injury prone middle-sixer to me.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
New Athletic article just says Rutherford wants to add a top six winger soon, doesn’t care about contract term as much as fit. Isn’t worried about a player or two disrupting the Penguins chemistry as he loves the current team, and doesn’t think they need another Dman.

JR isn’t the hold up here.

Pretty sure people can figure out what that means.

Hopefully something can shake loose soon if Kauhn is still hurt because they need an infusion of skill in their top six badly.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
This is how it always goes. They start suppppper high and things end up however they end up. I am very shocked with how little movement there is for the month of January.
That's because all but like 5 clubs think they are still in the hunt....

Reactions: KIRK

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The dude was available for 700k. The Pens had all the money. Why in the WORLD would they want him now? I do not buy that. :laugh: That is just JR telling Caps they are looking so the Caps end up getting him.

Because he’s producing in Montreal. If JR gets Kovalchuk, I’m going to be pissed because he could have gotten him for free. I didn’t want him but that screams knee jerk reaction and someone falling down on the job.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
i haven't watched Kreider at all this year. but Kreider of seasons gone by would be great for us, akin to prime kunitz but bigger frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->