Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Fair amount of late 1st round wingers from 2019 and 2020 taken over Poulin. That's unfortunate.

Again, not a great bellwether for Poulin making the Pens' 3rd line in January.

Last edited:

dustybreaks

Dec 31, 2012
Fair amount of late 1st round wingers from 2019 and 2020 taken over Poulin. That's unfortunate.

Again, not a great bellwether for Poulin making the Pens' 3rd line in January.

3rd line? Various posters had him slated in the top 6 which was beyond ridiculous!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's not at all like I'm throwing in the towel on the guy or anything but yeah for someone kind of expected to make the jump to the NHL roster here in like a month... you'd have liked to see him make the team. But whatever I'm sure this scenario has played out exactly the same for other guys who have turned out just fine. Ultimately the WJC is kinda meaningless and lots of guys have gotten draft boosts for big tournaments who went on to do diddly-shit.

Also full disclosure I was not super counting on him making the jump successfully anyhow. Seems too much to ask. Looked too raw last I saw him skating with NHLers.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's not at all like I'm throwing in the towel on the guy or anything but yeah for someone kind of expected to make the jump to the NHL roster here in like a month... you'd have liked to see him make the team. But whatever I'm sure this scenario has played out exactly the same for other guys who have turned out just fine. Ultimately the WJC is kinda meaningless and lots of guys have gotten draft boosts for big tournaments who went on to do diddly-shit.

Also full disclosure I was not super counting on him making the jump successfully anyhow. Seems too much to ask. Looked too raw last I saw him skating with NHLers.

To be honest, anyone predicting this has any impact on his NHL career this year or in the future is reading way too into it.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
To be honest, anyone predicting this has any impact on his NHL career this year or in the future is reading way too into it.

Yeah I agree but it's just one of those boxes you'd like to tick what with the GM and such having such high praise and expectations. But it doesn't really even register yet... still so much time and development left.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah I agree but it's just one of those boxes you'd like to tick what with the GM and such having such high praise and expectations. But it doesn't really even register yet... still so much time and development left.

The coach has his boy in Quinn on the top line despite him being largely unimpressive by all accounts through camp.

All that matters is if Sullivan is willing to work with him and regardless it’s not like more time in the minors will effect Poulin.

“I felt like Poulin was a good choice for a bottom-six role on this team entering camp, and that his strength on the puck (especially on the cycle) would endear him to Team Canada brass over some of the camp’s other bubble players. But he just wasn’t a factor throughout the camp offensively, and there were other players who emerged as better options for a little further down the lineup. He also, if I’m being honest, wasn’t off to the greatest start in the QMJHL given how dominant he should be (and often was last year).”

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Ya, I couldn’t give two left balls about the WJCs and them being any kind of benchmark if a guy is ready.

Sullivan has shown again and again, that if a young guy comes in and proves himself, he will make room for him.

He bent over backwards to accommodate Murray, Guentzel and Marino when they proved themselves ready.

Pens also desperately need young talent on ELCs.

I doubt he has an impressive camp and gets screwed or anything of that nature.

If Poulin can’t beat out any of their meh bottom six depth, then he’s obviously not ready.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

No bearing whatsoever on his career potential.

But if he can't make a WJC squad in December, it's unlikely he'll be making the Pens 3rd line in January. The whole idea is that the standard for making an NHL team's top 9 is a lot higher than the standard for a WJC's top 12, there's only a month turnaround, and Poulin is still junior eligible so he won't be in the NHL unless he leaves no doubt that he can perform at the NHL level.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
No bearing whatsoever on his career potential.

But if he can't make a WJC squad in December, it's unlikely he'll be making the Pens 3rd line in January. The whole idea is that the standard for making an NHL team's top 9 is a lot higher than the standard for a WJC's top 12, there's only a month turnaround, and Poulin is still junior eligible so he won't be in the NHL unless he leaves no doubt that he can perform at the NHL level.

It isn’t though. He has to beat out the Pittsburgh Penguins depth which you and others have said is absolute trash so maybe he has a chance.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Again, Poulin had tougher competition with making Team Canada than he has with making the Penguins. I find it really odd that the same people who insist the Penguins depth is terrible also insist that there's no way that Poulin could beat it out.

If the Penguins had any of Cozens, Byfield, Dach, Newhook or anyone like that, no one would be talking about the idea of Poulin making the Penguins next year.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It isn’t though. He has to beat out the Pittsburgh Penguins depth which you and others have said is absolute trash so maybe he has a chance.

There's always "a chance" of anything. But it doesn't bode well, particularly since Poulin has to show he's definitively better than his competition since there's no option to send him to the AHL.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Though it's been a topsy turvy year I am mildly concerned that both Poulin and Legare aren't progressing much. I know it's hard to gauge but the early indications aren't very good. Even in limited time in the Q their offensive output is a bit underwhelming.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
it’s sad that two players many of us wanted during the 2019 draft, Tomasino and McMichael, were passed on by the Pens and have made the WJC squad (and one by the Caps)...I remember thinking both had way more potential than Poulin...I hope I’m wrong but I’m not as much a Poulin fan as some of you...

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
it’s sad that two players many of us wanted during the 2019 draft, Tomasino and McMichael, were passed on by the Pens and have made the WJC squad (and one by the Caps)...I remember thinking both had way more potential than Poulin...I hope I’m wrong but I’m not as much a Poulin fan as some of you...
i had a list of about ten players praying one would fall. or at worst we would move up to get one. only to see every one of them go before we picked.:(

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I liked Tomasino but not McMichael and still don’t, his gaudy numbers don’t change my opinion much.

Poulin apparently should’ve just had a better camp, especially considering who he was playing with in scrimmages. Actually playing some games already should’ve also given him an advantage. Taking your teammates out for ice cream or whatever doesn’t get you into the lineup.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
2 guys is more representation than a lot of years, and both are eligible next year too.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Poulin wasn't going to beat out McMichael for a spot on Team Canada because McMichael was on TC last year and had 5 goals and 7 points in 7 games. If you look at who made Team Canada, the only guys you can really argue Poulin over are depth guys like Suzuki, who has the advantage of being a center.

Again, I don't think you can really read anything into Poulin not making Team Canada because he didn't make Team Canada because Team Canada is insane at forward. If it was any other team, I'd be concerned, but Poulin would have made literally any other team not named Canada. Every single forward on Team Canada this year was a former 1st round pick. Poulin isn't being beat out by bad players to make Team Canada, he's being beat out by really good prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad