Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Encouraging to hear nice words about Poulin's game from peers and observers, but I'm gonna need to see him rack up some points this tournament to seriously consider him for the Pens this year.

No consolation prizes for "being hard to play against" if he's a candidate for our top 9. We don't need another ZAR. We need somebody who can put up numbers.

Eh. I disagree. WJC is a completely overrated sample. It’ll be encouraging if he produces, but if he can stick on what will likely be the top line with Krebs and Byfield then that shows me enough even if he doesn’t produce.

(I assume Dach and co. will be back to camp in the NHL)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The performance matters more than the results for me here, and the sample is small enough that they can get unlinked. Better three points off a slew of great chances due to being with snakebit guys/against incredible goalies than six points off not many great chances, but passing to someone making great plays/rubbish goalies.

I'd also add the obvious that whatever he does at WJC, good or bad, will be nowhere near as important as what he does at camp, good or bad.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Hendrix Lapierre on Samuel Poulin: "He’s been one of the most dominant guys in the Q since I’ve been in the league. He’s so powerful, so strong, so big. (And) he’s not just physical, he can move. Every time I have the chance to play with him instead of against him, I’ll do it."

"Ce match m'a montré que le style de jeu de Samuel Poulin serait utile dans un rôle de deuxième plan. Son intensité, sa fougue, ses prises de décision et son aplomb sont des tous des qualités qui me fait dire que sa présence serait drôlement appréciée pendant le #CMJ " @Scandale du Jour with my shitty 12 weeks of french a few years ago before I went to France and google they are saying he'll be a good support piece and he should be a good add to the team no?

Essentially, yes.

It is worded in a weird way though. But what it means is that they see Poulin as a role player on Team Canada because of his smarts and versatility. Basically, they love his IQ and see him as a valuable piece. So you understood perfectly :)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Essentially, yes.

It is worded in a weird way though. But what it means is that they see Poulin as a role player on Team Canada because of his smarts and versatility. Basically, they love his IQ and see him as a valuable piece. So you understood perfectly :)

Nice. So basically exactly what we want to hear about a potential Sid / Malkin partner.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
“Role player” to me sounds like a bottom 6 player who maybe could sub in on the top six if it needs a particular kind of scrappy player from time to time...

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
“Role player” to me sounds like a bottom 6 player who maybe could sub in on the top six if it needs a particular kind of scrappy player from time to time...

Yes. But the quote was in context to Team Canada 2020. Him making the team would be great news. Look at the rosters from year to year. Plenty of guys were "role players" on that team ;)

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
Big news today. Jesper Lindgren WILL NOT be coming to the NHL camp. Pittsburgh has decided that he should stay with Modo until (or should I say if) AHL start their camps. If the AHL doesn't start he's with Modo the entire season.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I believe Jagr is the only Pen in the top 25

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Bandwagqvist

I was pre destined to choose the Penguins. My old boss in the late 90’s had Mario memorabilia all over his sports collectables store and raved about him (in Australia it was all NBA back then & a little NFL, next to nothing about hockey). I moved to Vancouver but I stuck with the Pens. They weren’t doing well at the time. From memory they were borderline or even out of a playoff spot late Dec/early Jan.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Bandwagqvist.

Naslund was part of the Penguins worst trade in history. He was what @Soggy Biscuit thought Sprong was.

*is*

AdvancedChillyCowbird-max-1mb.gif

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I do feel like he's going to tear it up with Hagelin and Eller next year.

Strong defensive combo to shelter his weaknesses while breaking in for sure, and Eller should be able to put the puck on his stick.

It'll be hard to watch him succeed if he does it in Washington. Blech.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Strong defensive combo to shelter his weaknesses while breaking in for sure, and Eller should be able to put the puck on his stick.

It'll be hard to watch him succeed if he does it in Washington. Blech.

Don’t worry mate unless he’s changed his way of thinking I don’t think you’ll have any problems.

Now if he does and can execute on that he’ll be a good player. If not he’ll bounce around the league showing glimpses until he is out of the league.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Don’t worry mate unless he’s changed his way of thinking I don’t think you’ll have any problems.

Now if he does and can execute on that he’ll be a good player. If not he’ll bounce around the league showing glimpses until he is out of the league.

I've always been of the opinion that it was more about opportunity and linemates who can complement him and shelter his weaknesses. Precious few sniper types have well-rounded games, and Sprong has always produced well.

That said, Hagelin and Eller are about as good as it's gonna get for a player like him trying to break in.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I've always been of the opinion that it was more about opportunity and linemates who can complement him and shelter his weaknesses. Precious few sniper types have well-rounded games, and Sprong has always produced well.

That said, Hagelin and Eller are about as good as it's gonna get for a player like him trying to break in.

Id more say his brain with the mentality that he could just skate by (pun intended) in juniors and AHL level but skill will only get you so far at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad