Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I'd be more than fine with letting Seattle take one of Pettersson or Zucker, trading the other, and then having POJ and one or both of Poulin and Legare make the club out of camp next year. Those two moves give you the capital to sign Ceci too, I think.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I'd be more than fine with letting Seattle take one of Pettersson or Zucker, trading the other, and then having POJ and one or both of Poulin and Legare make the club out of camp next year. Those two moves give you the capital to sign Ceci too, I think.

I think both will be available for Seattle to pick. I think POJ is ready but Poulin and Legare will have to really shine to take a spot in the top 9 even if Zucker was gone. Zohorna and O'Conner have a year of professional experience and both played at a point a game level in rookie AHL season. Both have a taste of NHL games also with 8 and 10 games each. I think both of those would get a shot at a middle 6 spot before those 2. Even Guentzel had to spend half an AHL season before getting his shot.

O'Connor came right out of college and played 10 games right out of camp but proved that was too big a jump. Skipping right to the NHL is not easy for most prospects. It is usually better to let them get scoring line and PP experience first in the AHL before sending them to the NHL and not getting those opportunities.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

Poulin and Legare will not be NHL ready. They will benefit from a year or two in the AHL. You have to keep in mind the Q is a weak league and that Val D'or is really stacked this season. Sorry to piss on your parade, but I think long term it would be best for them, especially Legare

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, I don't think they'll be ready (or given a real shot) until they get a full season in the A. Maybe two.

By then it probably won't matter if we're talking about utilizing them to chase Cups.

But it'll be the best for their development.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
Poulin and Legare will not be NHL ready. They will benefit from a year or two in the AHL. You have to keep in mind the Q is a weak league and that Val D'or is really stacked this season. Sorry to piss on your parade, but I think long term it would be best for them, especially Legare
I don't think the orgnization has the patience, especially for Poulin. They have to prove they made the right pick.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think the orgnization has the patience, especially for Poulin. They have to prove they made the right pick.
I don't think that's the case. Even with POJ, they seem committed to taking it slow and letting prospects develop. There's no rush or urgency to get the kids in there to sink or swim.

Poulin's not going to come in and vault this team to a new level, imo. Even his biggest fans probably would agree. So keep him (and Legare) developing the right way, and I think that means giving them a season or more in the AHL to adjust to pro hockey.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013

Yeah agreed. Ceci is more valuable than either of them and POJ is good enough to be a #6 at least. And if he's not, we can trade for another #4 / 5 at the deadline if we look like it's worth it.

I have doubts about Poulin and Legare, but Zucker hasn't contributed in a way that's irreplaceable by just signing a 3rd line guy anyway.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Johnston was Pouliot's coach in juniors though, I think that's a pretty important point.

I think Johnston probably lobbied to call Pouliot up to the NHL early. And honestly, he was pretty good in his rookie year IIRC.
Didn’t he come into camp the next season overweight?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If there's one quality Hextall's known for, it's patience. And while he'll want to prove he's not too patient, I don't think a pair of rookies is the place to do it. This org will have no qualms putting them in the AHL. Feel pretty sure about them.

One thing that I like about Poulin, that I don't know whether it's going to play well for him next season or not, is it seems like he finishes seasons really strong. His ppg pace has spiked the last two playoffs he's had, and the Covid wrecked season where he didn't, he was on a real heater in the tail end of the RS until injury got him. Hard to tell just from highlights how much of this season is him improving and how much is him elevating play at the right time, but either he's good. The chance in the most recent game where he worked free from the corner for a net front chance, that looked pretty sweet.

Firmly believe in high ceilings for both guys though. Just all about showing they can gain enough separation and keep up with pace of play enough to use their tools.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
So, we are back to penciling Poulin into the starting lineup again, despite still not seeing him play?

giphy.gif

Sure, give the guy a chance in camp, but you better have a damn good back up option.

Reactions: pengineer

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Even if the guys go to WBS, I hope they come into camp as champs. It would be nice to have some young guys come in with confidence and swagger. Give competition to the Erod/Scevior/Jank/ZAR players. When these guys know they have spots they don't try as hard.

I wana see POJ, Poulin, Doc, Legare and Puustinen making guys in the NHL feel uncomfortable.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Even if the guys go to WBS, I hope they come into camp as champs. It would be nice to have some young guys come in with confidence and swagger. Give competition to the Erod/Scevior/Jank/ZAR players. When these guys know they have spots they don't try as hard.

I wana see POJ, Poulin, Doc, Legare and Puustinen making guys in the NHL feel uncomfortable.

I hope the whole teams comes into camp as champs :)

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I'm not a huge believer in this team's prospect pool but I gotta figure there is SOMETHING out of that group, there. At least sometime soon.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I'm not a huge believer in this team's prospect pool but I gotta figure there is SOMETHING out of that group, there. At least sometime soon.

Im not expecting anything high end, but between Poulin, Legare, Doc, Gruden, Roberts, Zohorna and Puustinen. I think you can fill out the third and fourth lines. You just need one or two to get up into the top 6.

Poulin and Legare have progress about as well as you would have hoped so far. I think Zohorna and DOC could start the season in the bottom 6 and not look out of place.

In fact I see DOC as ZAR's cheaper internal replacement.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Im not expecting anything high end, but between Poulin, Legare, Doc, Gruden, Roberts, Zohorna and Puustinen. I think you can fill out the third and fourth lines. You just need one or two to get up into the top 6.

Poulin and Legare have progress about as well as you would have hoped so far. I think Zohorna and DOC could start the season in the bottom 6 and not look out of place.

In fact I see DOC as ZAR's cheaper internal replacement.

Yeah I actually think there is a good bit of cap to be saved on the current roster if only just a couple of things break right next season.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Yeah I actually think there is a good bit of cap to be saved on the current roster if only just a couple of things break right next season.

My dream Scenario is both Poulin and Legare pan out. Move out Zucker and run. I know it wont happen but I can dream. It would be so cool to see them move up as linemates from juniors to pro. They can party with Carter.

Jake - Sid - Rust
McCann - Geno - Kap
Poulin - Carter - Legare

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad