Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Poulin is apparently fine, scored early in tonight’s game. Still in the 1st, just boxscore watching.

He’s definitely playing C and taking and winning a ton of faceoffs though. Not sure if he has a future there or not.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If Poulin can be moved to center and can offer the size. passing skill and awareness to play that, it is a nice move to a franchise lacking any centers in the system.

Reactions: Jacob

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If Poulin can be moved to center and can offer the size. passing skill and awareness to play that, it is a nice move to a franchise lacking any centers in the system.
He looks a little raw in the highlights.. doesn’t choke down on his stick on faceoffs, top hand is still right on the butt end. Kinda has a winger’s mindset when he’s deep in his own zone.. trying to cover lanes with his stick way out instead of just taking a guy and tying them up. Despite all that he’s winning 62% of draws and he seems to take the most on his team, and I’ve only seen one goal against in the highlights that he was even partially at fault for, just got caught chasing behind the net. He can already play both wings but it’d be nice if he could become a big strong two-way C.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Points in all 4 for Svejkovsky.

Roofed one short side for another goal on a pretty feed in Game 3 for Medicine Hat, which meant he started season with a goal in each game.

Goal streak ended in Game 4; but he tallied an primary assist that he pretty much solely manufactured with a nice sequence.

Full disclosure I have zero idea how he looks outside of highlights.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Pittsburgh Penguins - Samuel Poulin, RW, Val-d’Or (QMJHL)
Val-d’Or has built a bit of a super team in the Q this season and really put a jolt into the system by acquiring Poulin. In the 12 games he’s played since being traded from Sherbrooke, he has 17 points — good for 1.42 points per game. It’s a little behind the scoring pace he had last season when he really broke out for 77 in 46, but it’s still a solid clip in this weird season.
Poulin did not make Canada’s World Junior team despite being in the mix and that was a tough blow. He’s still not quite there yet to be among the elite of elite prospects, but he continues to close in. The Penguins don’t have a ton of super exciting options in the league’s shallowest prospect pool, but Poulin looks like he’s going to play at the next level and at least has the potential to be an impact guy. It’s going to be a lot tougher to tell during this pandemic season than it will be once he arrives to NHL training camp next season. He should be expected to take a big step forward and challenge for a spot.

- Chris Peters.

Last edited:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
NCAA UDFA signings starting up. Always gotta remind myself that few end up doing much of anything.

That said, Jackson Pierson from UNH is someone who won’t be a big name if he decides to pursue a professional career, but I think he’s an under the radar guy who has the tools to become an NHL regular.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Pittsburgh Penguins - Samuel Poulin, RW, Val-d’Or (QMJHL)
Val-d’Or has built a bit of a super team in the Q this season and really put a jolt into the system by acquiring Poulin. In the 12 games he’s played since being traded from Sherbrooke, he has 17 points — good for 1.42 points per game. It’s a little behind the scoring pace he had last season when he really broke out for 77 in 46, but it’s still a solid clip in this weird season.
Poulin did not make Canada’s World Junior team despite being in the mix and that was a tough blow. He’s still not quite there yet to be among the elite of elite prospects, but he continues to close in. The Penguins don’t have a ton of super exciting options in the league’s shallowest prospect pool, but Poulin looks like he’s going to play at the next level and at least has the potential to be an impact guy. It’s going to be a lot tougher to tell during this pandemic season than it will be once he arrives to NHL training camp next season. He should be expected to take a big step forward and challenge for a spot.

- Chris Peters.

Will see, I am glad he got traded to the best team and hope he makes some noise during a great playoff run. He made major strides last season so this season has been more of a let down to this point. I would of hoped he would be fighting for the top couple spots in the scoring race after last season. Have to say I am disappointed in his play so far. Hopefully he turns it up to another level like he did last season when he was getting 2+ points a game average for a long stretch after a slow start.

Personally I would be fine with trading him and POJ for a good top 6 forward. Don't really care about futures with the way Crosby, Malkin, and Letang are playing now. I want to go for it these next two years while our core can still play at the level they have these last 15+ games. When it is time for a rebuild I want to tank to the bottom for a few years. Trade all good assets you have left for picks and prospects. That's when I will care about prospects.

Even with that said I really like the free additions of Zohorna, Lee, and O'Connor. Hopefully Maniscalco can get it going also and he is young and has nice size and skill so will see how he develops. Love those free additions and that is one of my biggest reasons for trading picks and prospects for Kessel, Perron, Brassard, Zucker, Kapanen, and others. You get those assets that can help you know and then good free prospects sign with you because your system is so light on prospects. I think that is one of the reasons someone like Marino was willing to sign with us instead of becoming a UFA shortly after.

Poulin did not stand out during camp this year over players like O'Conner who was a free asset. Yes he is 2 years younger but doesn't give me that confidence. He could still become a stud but all take the sure thing in a trade.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Poulin did not stand out during camp this year over players like O'Conner who was a free asset. Yes he is 2 years younger but doesn't give me that confidence. He could still become a stud but all take the sure thing in a trade.

dude just turned 20 and like 12 players in that draft have nhl games. I wouldn’t worry about him

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Not saying it should be a priority but the Pens won b2b cups with a lot of in draft picks coming up and playing roles.

Another wave like that right now would be pretty nice on top of what we have on the roster.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
dude just turned 20 and like 12 players in that draft have nhl games. I wouldn’t worry about him

I am not worried about him but also don't think he is a sure thing to become a legit top 6. Don't get me wrong, I think he very well could be but definitely wanted to see another jump like he did last year. I have to be honest and say I have been very disappointed in his play so far. Like I said in the other post I hold out hope he starts a hot streak from now through the junior playoffs. Just wanted more from him and he didn't stand out over O'Conner who is 2 years older but not exactly lighting it up either. Don't mind O'Conner's development as a free asset and I am not upset with Poulin and his development but it seemed to stall this year. Of course he has many games to get it going from this point.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I am not worried about him but also don't think he is a sure thing to become a legit top 6. Don't get me wrong, I think he very well could be but definitely wanted to see another jump like he did last year. I have to be honest and say I have been very disappointed in his play so far. Like I said in the other post I hold out hope he starts a hot streak from now through the junior playoffs. Just wanted more from him and he didn't stand out over O'Conner who is 2 years older but not exactly lighting it up either. Don't mind O'Conner's development as a free asset and I am not upset with Poulin and his development but it seemed to stall this year. Of course he has many games to get it going from this point.

You have to remember Poulin was not playing as much. O'Conner was playing in a pro league in Europe. O'Conner also was playing with trash on the 4th. He has 3 points in 3 AHL games. Lets see how he progresses before judging him too.

Him not standing out over O'Conner shouldn't be a knock. Sure he isnt lighting things up right now but he's about tied for the best ppg on his team which is one of the best teams in the league.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
You have to remember Poulin was not playing as much. O'Conner was playing in a pro league in Europe. O'Conner also was playing with trash on the 4th. He has 3 points in 3 AHL games. Lets see how he progresses before judging him too.

Him not standing out over O'Conner shouldn't be a knock. Sure he isnt lighting things up right now but he's about tied for the best ppg on his team which is one of the best teams in the league.

I like them both as prospects. Believe me I think they both can be good NHL players in time. Just wanted Poulin to dominate the Q and be fighting for the top point producer in the league this season. His PPG last season was one of the best and that was after a slow start. I wanted him around 2 points per game this season. Like I said he still has time to have a good season if he can pick it up from this point forward. Just not as high on him after his play to this point this season both in camp and juniors. Also not the best camp from what I heard of his Team Canada tryout.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Hextall has to blend the now and the future here. Giving away prospects that were drafted high is simply not the way to go. Poulin can be at WB next year and developing along with O'Connor, Legare and Drozg. Now Hextall will move a couple players for picks in this draft so they have picks to make. But over the next couple of years, Pens need to add talent to the system and let the natural filter of who makes the grade happen.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
giphy.gif

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I think at his high end he could maybe be somewhat like later stage Horny minus the Viking intensity.

Complimentary middle six goal scorer who’s good on the PP, decent on the boards, gives you nothing in the NZ and skates in straight lines.

Don’t think it’s crazy to think maybe Legare has the shot for some bigger scoring years but I think Poulin has a much higher potential for all around impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad