Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Usually the NCAA free agents aren’t drafted for a reason so I don’t get my hopes up, but O’Connor is a little bit more intriguing than your average UDFA given that’s he’s a completely different athlete, let alone player, than he was when he was a draft eligible.

6 inch growth spurt is silly.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Idk it sounds like O'Connor is actually what they thought ZAR was.

But they were also so off on ZAR that idk. I'm not going in with any expectations and we'll see how he does.

ZAR was in consideration for best defensive forward by some publications. Now we don't agree that is the case but his analytics are off the charts recently. ZAR doesn't look good doing it but I guess he does a decent job defensively. Bottom line ZAR was a free asset that helped form a great checking line that we used in all defensive situations against the other teams best forwards in our defensive zone. From what I read about ZAR most thought he would be a grinder type forward because he didn't have the skills to be a top 6 forward. ZAR's max potential was to be Hornqvist lite but Horny is a one of a kind, not fast, not skilled, but a ton of heart.

Hopefully O'Connor can be more of a point getter and become a decent middle six forward. I think that is his best case upside. It helps getting O'Connor at a younger age than ZAR also because that is two more years to develop that ZAR didn't have in him. So more room for O'Connor to get better as a Pro. I really hope to see him tonight. POJ got his shot and looks good and if O'Connor can do the same Pens are in good shape.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
ZAR was in consideration for best defensive forward by some publications. Now we don't agree that is the case but his analytics are off the charts recently. ZAR doesn't look good doing it but I guess he does a decent job defensively. Bottom. Line ZAR was a free asset that helped form a great checking line that we used in all defensive situations against the other teams best forwards in our defensive zone. From what I read about ZAR most thought he would be a grinder type forward because he didn't have the skills to be a top 6 forward. ZAR's max potential was to be Hornqvist lite but Horny is a one of a kind, not fast, not skilled, but a ton of heart.

Hopefully O'Connor can be more of a point getter and become a decent middle six forward. I think that is his best case upside. I really hope to see him tonight. POJ got his shot and looks good and if O'Connor can do the same Pens are in good shape.

ZAR was talked about as a Hornqvist style of net front presence with a good shot and good offensive instincts when he came out of college, with borderline top-6 upside in the eyes of some. Him turning into a 4th line pure defensive forward is proof that their initial opinion on him was wrong. My point wasn't to say "ZAR sucks", it's that he didn't even come remotely close to what he was advertised to be by the Penguins.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Is O’Connor a physical player at all?

At NHL level? Your guess is as good as mine. How well he uses that 6'3" frame in the NHL is going to play a big part in how well he does.

ZAR was talked about as a Hornqvist style of net front presence with a good shot and good offensive instincts when he came out of college, with borderline top-6 upside in the eyes of some. Him turning into a 4th line pure defensive forward is proof that their initial opinion on him was wrong. My point wasn't to say "ZAR sucks", it's that he didn't even come remotely close to what he was advertised to be by the Penguins.

All the prospect profiles and what not I recall seeing were very clear he was a bottom six guy. He had some offensive gifts, but a limitation on them. I think the big difference between the sale of ZAR and the actuality was his physicality levels, and even then I think that got beat him out of a little with injury.

But... reliable bottom six forward with some scoring upside, yeah, I think that applies to both. DOC sounds like he's got a bit more speed and skill, but not as much grit as ZAR was meant to.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

You can't believe the hype. Almost every prospect gets talked about to their highest upside. ZAR didn't have the skating or puck skills or even the shot to be anything more than a Hornqvist lite player. ZAR scored most of his goals in close and played a Hornqvist type game in college but that doesn't easily transfer to the NHL. Not many players can play like Hornqvist with his limited skating and skill. Hornqvist is just a viking warrior and you can project players to be the next Hornqvist but that is not likely. I thought ZAR's best upside was 3rd liner that could get in the teens for goals by playing a net front presence. The problem with ZAR is he can't stay healthy.

O'Connor is younger, faster, bigger, and more skilled than ZAR coming out of college. I think he has a much better chance at becoming a middle 6 forward than ZAR did. O'Connor still needs to prove that and also could end up being a 4th line forward also if he doesn't continue developing. I hope he pulls a Marino but lightning doesn't strike twice in tbe same spot so I am not counting on it.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It only took a few games for me to see how poor ZARs skating was, and that was at the AHL level.

It was the first thing I kept warning people about who had not seen him yet.

If DOC has similar issues, I’m honestly going to write him off quickly.

As I’ve said ad nauseam, I’ve learned the hard way that poor skating is an issue prospects rarely over come these days.

If he can skate well, then I’ll have a more positive outlook, but we shall see.

Reactions: CrosbyMalkin

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
POJ playing well makes me really appreciate what Rutherford has done to get the defense younger and more skilled with a bright future. 2 years ago I looked at our defense getting old and slow with no sure prospects that I felt good about including Addison. Then Rutherford added Pettersson 22 years old for Sprong. Then a year later adding Marino 22 and POJ 20 at the time of those trades. Adding in 3 young defenseman that all have either already shown to be top 4 defenseman like Pettersson and Marino have or have the potential to be like POJ is showing now. Those are nice adds to help now and for the future. Hopefully Lee will be the next defenseman we got for free that proves he is an NHL defenseman. Really pleased with the additions on defense.

Now if O'Connor can do as well as POJ that will be another nice free addition to the forward group. Kapanen while not a prospect anymore also added some nice youth to the team and looks like a keeper to me.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
It only took a few games for me to see how poor ZARs skating was, and that was at the AHL level.

It was the first thing I kept warning people about who had not seen him yet.

If DOC has similar issues, I’m honestly going to write him off quickly.

As I’ve said ad nauseam, I’ve learned the hard way that poor skating is an issue prospects rarely over come these days.

If he can skate well, then I’ll have a more positive outlook, but we shall see.

By all accounts O'Connor is a good skater for his size. I agree about ZAR and never saw him as a real option to become a top 6. Hornqvist is the rare exception that can overcome being not very skilled and not very fast player but can physically out work his opponents in front of the net. Never believed the hype on ZAR after watching his college game film. ZAR has done okay for himself and has good analytics. I think he has done a great job maximizing his game with the limited tools he has.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The thing about DOC is every characteristic sounds good but not definitely NHL level.

Skating - good at NCAA level, didn't stand out either way at practice, so what does that mean at full competitive NHL level?
Shot - Good at NCAA level, saw a couple of nice ones at practice, again, what does that mean...
Size - Big boy, is he going to use it?
Smarts - Who knows?

Etc.etc.

You guess okay bottom sixer. You think if everything goes right, he'll be a good third liner, maybe even a step above. If none of it works out, 4A guy. See how it goes I guess.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
The thing about DOC is every characteristic sounds good but not definitely NHL level.

Skating - good at NCAA level, didn't stand out either way at practice, so what does that mean at full competitive NHL level?
Shot - Good at NCAA level, saw a couple of nice ones at practice, again, what does that mean...
Size - Big boy, is he going to use it?
Smarts - Who knows?

Etc.etc.

You guess okay bottom sixer. You think if everything goes right, he'll be a good third liner, maybe even a step above. If none of it works out, 4A guy. See how it goes I guess.

Feel pretty good about his smarts being an Ivy League player. That is why ZAR has such good analytics even though he looks terrible doing it. Like I said ZAR gets the most out of his limited skill set. O'Connor I think will almost assuredly make it as a 4th liner. At only 22 no pro experience and already has shown enough in the limited training camp to stick around over all those AHL forwards and Poulin is a good sign he will be at least 4th liner. How O'Connor develops over the next two years will decide if you can become a middle six forward or fourth liner.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
OC showed me nothing, but nothing bad either. Looked on the bigger side and is a plus skater.

PP was at its most dangerous when he was at the net although it didn’t really have much to do with him.

Need more games to really get a read on him and what he does well or how he plays though.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
OC showed me nothing, but nothing bad either. Looked on the bigger side and is a plus skater.

PP was at its most dangerous when he was at the net although it didn’t really have much to do with him.

Need more games to really get a read on him and what he does well or how he plays though.

he wasn’t very good but oh well, first game

Reactions: Darren McCord

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Needs more opportunity to get his legs going and some touches with the puck.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Best thing you could say was he was just there. But I guess that's good in the sense that at least he didn't look glaringly out of place.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad