Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
As soon as Sid, Geno and Letang are done, it would be silly to not blow it up for multiple lottery picks over multiple years. You don't get anywhere near replacing them outside of drafting high and having the team start to peak when the picks are ready to dominate. I'd be keeping one or two high quality players at each position over 25 at most. Maybe you keep like Marino, Guentzel, Kapanen, Jarry and a character guy like Blueger but you trade pretty much everything else. There's no point keeping a bunch of aging guys when your new core isn't ready for the big show.

The reality is though, our cupboard is so bare we might have to suck for like 5 years to get our system back in order.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
As soon as Sid, Geno and Letang are done, it would be silly to not blow it up for multiple lottery picks over multiple years. You don't get anywhere near replacing them outside of drafting high and having the team start to peak when the picks are ready to dominate. I'd be keeping one or two high quality players at each position over 25 at most. Maybe you keep like Marino, Guentzel, Kapanen, Jarry and a character guy like Blueger but you trade pretty much everything else. There's no point keeping a bunch of aging guys when your new core isn't ready for the big show.

The reality is though, our cupboard is so bare we might have to suck for like 5 years to get our system back in order.

That’s the price you pay for three cups and trying to be a contender every season.

I get annoyed at JRs various moves, but a majority of us wanted a proactive GM that was the opposite of the ever patient Shero.

We got the best hair trigger GM in the sport and he saved Crosby and Malkin’s legacies.

The downside is he has depleted the prospect pool, has gone off the deep end, and has little eye on the future, which in fairness I understand.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I disagree on sucking if they are massaged through the down years as real cup contenders. Yes trading Zucker for a top pick and seeing what Letang can bring after this year are two moves that help the retool. But Jake, Sid who will be here my guess is three more years and Kap, Marino, Jarry, TB, and then see who can be that second line eventually minus Malkin. Only the timing of this is the question. I think it has to start after this year in a complete overhaul of GM, coach, and players that can fetch prospects/picks including Letang, Malkin, Zucker, Rust and Dumo.
O'Connor Sid Kap
Jake Roslevic Legare
Poulin McCann Tanev
Bjorkqvist TB Lafferty/Angelo

Marino Matheson
Timmons POJ
? ?
Jarry

I am trading Petts for Roslevic and a pick. Malkin to the AV's for Timmons and a first. Those are two moves I make to stay relevant and get prospects and picks back for the above. Then you have guys like Maniscalco, O'Reilly, and Lee plus I keep Riikola and maybe Ruhwedel depending on the development of those 3 D men. Roslevic I have playing the 2C but am looking to add draft selections of centers te next 3 years. Pens have now the right cap situation to be cost effective during the retooling of the roster.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Five years is considered standard rebuild time by many in the game anyway. When the contending days are done, whenever that might be, that should be the expectation.

(Also, standard response of long time away, things change fast, owners unlikely to blow things up unless they have to).

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Q starting back up tonight. Legare and Poulin are both still in quarantine, so not playing.

Poulin is expected to be traded before the deadline on Monday. Val d'Or and Blainville are being speculated as the likely landing spots.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Val d'Or was one of the league favorites before the league shut down in the fall. They have acquired Poulin, Legare and Jordan Spence since then. They are the heavy favorite in the Q now.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Shame for Poulin’s time in Sherbrooke to end so unceremoniously though.

They were possibly Mem Cup material when the season shut down last year and I didn’t think the roster looked terrible this fall.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
0LQmt3U_d.webp

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Wonder what kind of player or comparison O'Connor translates to. Haven't watched him since he never played Wilkes

I don't think I've ever really seen a comparison made for him by prospect watchers, and would struggle to come up with one given how he's got a lot of tools but no freak standout NHL ones (that we know of)

Reactions: steelcityassault

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Hard to judge, lotta point-per-game NCAA guys never amount to anything in the pros, let alone NHL. Being bigger and faster helps, but the big sell is that the Penguins seem almost as high on him as they were on Marino and they were absolutely right about Marino so that’s good enough for me to have reasonably high expectations.

Reactions: CrosbyMalkin

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Idk it sounds like O'Connor is actually what they thought ZAR was.

But they were also so off on ZAR that idk. I'm not going in with any expectations and we'll see how he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->