Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
What the f*** is Clarke doing in Slovakia? The Slovak Extraliga is terrible, plus it's the second hardest-hit place in Europe during the pandemic.

Also, how's Zohorna looking for WB/S?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
What the f*** is Clarke doing in Slovakia? The Slovak Extraliga is terrible, plus it's the second hardest-hit place in Europe during the pandemic.

Also, how's Zohorna looking for WB/S?

They've only played one regular season game, which I was able to watch.

He can certainly skate and, if I'm remembering correctly, he showed some decent hands on one play. I believe he got some PP time but didn't get any points. WBS had a weird game in that they were pretty much dominated in the first and third but had the lead most of the game. And then lost in overtime. As is Penguins tradition. They play again tomorrow.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, as I mentioned upthread (I think), he's an intriguing prospect, but he's not really got a huge ceiling. I am slightly more hopeful he'll get a legitimate shot in Pittsburgh with Burke and Hextall than with JR though.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Trying to pull the reverse Robert Dome?

Seems like it was all about playing games and the seed was planted by a Barrie teammate signing with a German second-division team. Barrie hasn't played a game in nearly a year, so the only thing that doesn't make sense is the quality of team he wound up with. I mean he turned 18 yesterday so it makes sense why he wouldn't be playing with a top-flight team...but...yeah...our own Cam Lee put up some nice stats in that same league before coming back stateside and I'd have been concerned if he didn't.

Diary of a draft year: Inside top NHL prospect Brandt Clarke's unusual season

Reactions: HandshakeLine

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Seems like it was all about playing games and the seed was planted by a Barrie teammate signing with a German second-division team. Barrie hasn't played a game in nearly a year, so the only thing that doesn't make sense is the quality of team he wound up with. I mean he turned 18 yesterday so it makes sense why he wouldn't be playing with a top-flight team...but...yeah...our own Cam Lee put up some nice stats in that same league before coming back stateside and I'd have been concerned if he didn't.

I bet there will be some real steals from this draft year, hard to rank guys who've played barely any hockey.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

It's interesting too because usually any remotely talented Czech or Slovak players will hightail it to Canada to play junior hockey in North America because it sets them up much better for the NHL game and a potential NHL contract.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Playing hockey is better than not playing hockey...but draft profiles inevitably talking up him 'playing with men' will be cringe-worthy.

Especially because it's not like he's playing in the AHL or KHL or SEL or any second-tier league. I love my ancestral homeland, but let's be real-- the Slovak Extraliga is a 3rd rate EU league at this moment. There's just not the finances there to entice talented Slovak players to stay there, when even the Czech Extraliga pays better.

So, I take it as a huge admission of weakness to hype a prospect's work there, TBH.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Probably a few factors at play. It looks like he and his brother joined the same team- I assume there are rules in a lot of leagues on how many non-nationals you can have on one team and that might’ve limited their choices.

And even a good prospect might have trouble playing significant minutes on a SweHL or KHL team. A lot of guys, like Bouchard and Lavoie, went to Allsvenskan.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Probably a few factors at play. It looks like he and his brother joined the same team- I assume there are rules in a lot of leagues on how many non-nationals you can have on one team and that might’ve limited their choices.

And even a good prospect might have trouble playing significant minutes on a SweHL or KHL team. A lot of guys, like Bouchard and Lavoie, went to Allsvenskan.

Oh, I'm sure being able to get playing time was a primary draw, but at the expense of a lesser quality of competition. I don't remember the rules for the Slovak Extraliga, but the Czech Extraliga's junior clubs are really pretty much limited to only Czech or Slovak players, so I don't think he could have gone there, even though the competition is better.

Also Nové Zámky sucks ass to live in. :laugh:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Also Nové Zámky sucks ass to live in. :laugh:

Nice barn, though.

NZ_ice_stadium.jpg

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Sucks for teams who invested draft picks in that league, even worse for draft eligibles.

I still think the NHL needs to hold the draft before training camp though.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I could’ve sworn Val d’Or had no games until the end of the month but the schedule shows them back in action tonight. A Kafka-esque Mandela Effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad