Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Polling the board - if the Pens have a chance to pick Yaroslav Askarov in the 2020 draft, do you take him?

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Polling the board - if the Pens have a chance to pick Yaroslav Askarov in the 2020 draft, do you take him?
depends on where w epick ofc.

but if we are a plaoff team, no doubt we should pick him.

But if we miss playoff and win the lottery, no.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
You have to.

That simple.

depends on where w epick ofc.

but if we are a plaoff team, no doubt we should pick him.

But if we miss playoff and win the lottery, no.

Yeah, I could go either way, but I have always been a proponent of BPA regardless of position. Just fill the pipeline w ith the best talent and let it sort itself out.

@deakka if we were a lottery team it'd almost be worth it to take him and then flip Murray for a ransom. Aside from Sid and Geno, Murray is our most valuable asset.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Like Jimmy said you have to.

Also like Carsen Richels and Blake Biondi later in the draft.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Is he that good?

Scouts are saying he's the best goaltending prospect since Carey Price.

I ask this question because goaltenders tend to slide. If many remember, people freaked out when Price was taken so high. I'm pretty sure Pierre McGuire had a meltdown.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Is he that good?

Meant to be the best goaltending prospect in forever. A quick look at some early rankings have him in 12th, 9th, 24th, 12th, 6th, 5th. In short, he's a consensus top 10-ish guy who according to one person might fall to where we might be picking.

As things stand, I think you'd have to take him if he fell. Unless there was some other top 10 talent falling as well.

Yeah, I could go either way, but I have always been a proponent of BPA regardless of position. Just fill the pipeline w ith the best talent and let it sort itself out.

@deakka if we were a lottery team it'd almost be worth it to take him and then flip Murray for a ransom. Aside from Sid and Geno, Murray is our most valuable asset.

I probably wouldn't go this far - not only am I not sure that Askarov would be ready to go right away, that ransom would struggle to have the same impact as a lottery pick on an ELC. Maybe if we only got 3rd. 1st or 2nd, nope.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

Not very often a good goalie is traded for anything resembling a ransom though. Not arguing Murray couldn’t be, but I can see the “ not impressive save %, where are his Vezina nominations, won because he was on the Pens” etc. comments.

Also, much more rare to see a goal tender give you consistently elite play than it is from other positions, hence when the very good ones need to get paid, it often turns out less than happy.

In the cap age I am more for having too many goalie prospects and hope you get lucky with developing them.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not very often a good goalie is traded for anything resembling a ransom though. Not arguing Murray couldn’t be, but I can see the “ not impressive save %, where are his Vezina nominations, won because he was on the Pens” etc. comments.

Also, much more rare to see a goal tender give you consistently elite play than it is from other positions, hence when the very good ones need to get paid, it often turns out less than happy.

In the cap age I am more for having too many goalie prospects and hope you get lucky with developing them.

It's not very often good goalies are traded in general though; its super rare that a team has two proven starters at a time. When probable starters get frequently get last 1st value, it does seem likely a good plated top 10 goalie in the league could get a pretty decent haul.

I'd still rather probably take one of the skaters that'll be there in the top 3 if we end up that unlucky/lucky though.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
That is huge. He and Legare are the next wave of young guys. Adding two big boys like them will be a nice shot in the arm in a couple of years.

Yup....Legare is at 6g 6a. They both keep producing in 8 games.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I have followed hockey and prospects forever, and I still do not understand the Jr rules - can Legare and Poulin play in the AHL next year?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
No. Basically just look at their birthdates- Major-junior players with 2001 birth years can't play in the AHL until 2021. Bellerive, POJ and Almeida are 99s which is why they can play this year. Addison is a 2000 so he can play next season.

They can join WB/S at the end of the season if their Q teams are eliminated.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
upload_2019-10-20_18-27-27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad