Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Updating box stats - doing this month's first, then totals at the bottom.

TL;DR - Almeida is amazing, everyone else is ticking over.

WHL

Jordy Bellerive (C, Lethbridge) GP15 G6 A11 P17 PIM9 +7
Justin Almeida (C, Moose Jaw) GP15 G8 A19 P27 PIM8 0
Calen Addison (D, Lethbridge) GP15 G4 A12 P16 PIM12 +7

Decent from the Lethbridge two; it'll be very interesting to see Almeida in WBS next season.

QMJHL

Jan Drozg (W, Shawinigan) GP13 G5 A7 P12 PIM20 -6

Absurdly bad month for him PIM wise - points continue to accumulate. Congrats to him on his ELC.

D'Orio is not in monthly stats as I can't figure out how to do them. See below for updated totals.

SHL

Filip Hallander (W, Timra) GP10 G0 A1 P4 PIM0 -1

A disappointing slump

Liiga

Niclas Almari (D, HPK) GP10 G0 A0 P0 PIM0 0
Antti Palojarvi (D, Lukko) GP4 G0 A0 P0 PIM4 +1 (U20s - GP4 G0 A3 P3 PIM2 -2) (Mestis - GP6 G1 A1 P2 PIM0 +3)

Almari continues to log senior minutes - definite sense of plateau there. Palojarvi's done okay in the Mestis

NCAA

Nikita Pavlychev (C, Penn) GP8 G3 A3 P6 PIM21 -2
Kasper Bjorkqvist (W, Providence) GP17 G5 A2 P7 PIM4 0
Clayton Phillips (D, Minnesota) GP7 G0 A2 P2 PIM4 -6
William Reilly (D, RPI) GP9 G1 A3 P4 PIM0 -1
Ryan Jones (D, Nebraska) GP8 G0 A4 P4 PIM11 -7

Decent month, maybe a tad disappointing for Bjorkqvist and Phillips. Reilly has set his new college points record for the season already.

USHS

Liam Gorman (C, St Sebastian's) GP?

EliteProspects isn't updating. I remember someone found something interesting... but not so interesting that I remembered.

Total

WHL

Jordy Bellerive (C, Lethbridge) GP63 G29 A45 P74 PIM57 +20
Justin Almeida (C, Moose Jaw) GP57 G26 A67 P93 PIM14 +16
Calen Addison (D, Lethbridge) GP62 G11 A50 P61 PIM50 -1

Almeida is 4th in scoring, Bellerive 14th. Almeida is 1st for assists, Addison 13th and Bellerive 17th; Addison is 5th in dman scoring. Bellerive is 3 points behind likely top 5 pick Cozens for the team lead; Addison is 5th. Almeida is 7 points behind Tristan Langan for his team lead -

QMJHL

Jan Drozg (W, Shawinigan) GP54 G19 A34 P53 PIM48 -31 (WJC D1B GP5 G4 A8 P12 PIM14 +3)

Alex D'Orio (G, Saint John) GP26 GAA 4.48, .883% (Baie-Comeau) GP18 GAA 2.49 .900%

D'Orio has not enjoyed this month with Baie-Comeau.

SHL

Filip Hallander (W, Timra) GP40 G7 A10 P17 PIM2 -5 (WJC - GP3 G0 A0 P0 PIM2 -2)

Liiga

Niclas Almari (D, HPK) GP41 G1 A4 P5 PIM6 -4 (U20s - GP2 G0 A1 PIM2 +3)
Antti Palojarvi (D, Lukko) GP16 G0 A2 P2 PIM4 +2 (U20s - GP29 G4 A9 P13 PIM10 -6) (Mestis - GP6 G1 A1 P2 PIM0 +3)

NCAA

Nikita Pavlychev (C, Penn) GP26 G11 A11 P22 PIM53 +2
Kasper Bjorkqvist (W, Providence) GP35 G14 A11 P25 PIM16 +13
Clayton Phillips (D, Minnesota) GP31 G1 A9 P10 PIM18 -11
William Reilly (D, RPI) GP31 G5 A12 P17 PIM14 -1
Ryan Jones (D, Nebraska) GP32 G0 A11 P11 PIM35 -27

USHS

Liam Gorman (C, St Sebastian's) GPo​

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
giphy.gif

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Considering the summer he had, I guess I shouldn't be too down on Bellerive's season. But man, those totals aren't what you'd hope for from a guy like him.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Considering the summer he had, I guess I shouldn't be too down on Bellerive's season. But man, those totals aren't what you'd hope for from a guy like him.

Who knows...may just be ready to move on and take that next step. As you mentioned the summer he had with those teammates. Im sure its bothered him mentally. Looking forward to him and alot of our other top prospects in WBS next year. Should be a stacked team.

Bellerive, Drozg, Bjorkvist, Pavlychev...joining Angello, Johnson, Militec, Haggerty, Lafferty, Di Pauli, and Ohlund. Thats a nice forward group(alot of these guys were in first year at the same time, theyll be better next season). Almari on D. Not sure who else.

Reactions: steelcityassault

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Who knows...may just be ready to move on and take that next step. As you mentioned the summer he had with those teammates. Im sure its bothered him mentally. Looking forward to him and alot of our other top prospects in WBS next year. Should be a stacked team.

Bellerive, Drozg, Bjorkvist, Pavlychev...joining Angello, Johnson, Militec, Haggerty, Lafferty, Di Pauli, and Ohlund. Thats a nice forward group(alot of these guys were in first year at the same time, theyll be better next season). Almari on D. Not sure who else.

Almeida up front too.. Hallander?
D'Orio in net. Few others that are 50/50 like Jones, Rielly, Phillips, etc.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Bellerive, Drozg, Almeida, Almari and D'Orio are all almost certainly joining WBS next season.

Bjorkqvist, Pavlychev, Jones and Reilly all have one year of college left if they want to go back but all are at the age where a lot of guys go pro.

Hallander is an unknown although I'd lean towards probable with a very probable if Timra are relegated.

I think that's the list of possibilities. Phillips has two years of college left and considering his development arc is best left there for the time being. Palojarvi has another year in Finland before a decision needs to be made and I think you'd like to see him nail down a Liiga place before signing him, Addison has another year of junior, and Gorman hasn't entered college. Pretty crazy that we might have only 4 unsigned prospects prior to next year's draft.

I keep telling myself that he's just being Crosby'ed - great ES performance being let down by never touching the puck on the PP. He's already met last year's ES points and his +/- has improved by 22 so far.

But yeah, it is disappointing.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
^ That's encouraging regarding Bellerive's ES production. I remember the first red flag I spotted when Beau Bennett was drafted: something like 25 of his 41 goals in his highly productive BCHL season were via PP. Lo and behold he ultimately scored at a 10g/82 pace in the NHL.

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Think they will bring back DiPauli?

We could see this up front

Lafferty - AJ - Angello
Miletic - Bellerive - Almeida
Drozg - Hallander - Haggerty
Bjorkvist - Pav - X
Olund

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

We could see this up front

Lafferty - AJ - Angello
Miletic - Bellerive - Almeida
Drozg - Hallander - Haggerty
Bjorkvist - Pav - X
Olund

Dunno.
I would if theres room in the 50 contract limit.
Liked what little i did see of him this year.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
After rooting through Hase articles, sounds like Bjorkqvist is likely to go pro but Pavs is talking about wanting to do all four years.

Depends how much they rate his chances of staying fit at a guess.

Wouldn't D'Orio likely go to ECHL where he can start games? Or is it more likely he splits time with Jarry?

Dunno. Could see either. Jarry has to pass through waivers next season and is therefore quite likely to be in the NHL, probably somewhere else though, and that leaves goaltending pretty thin there. Thin enough that he can claim a back up spot easily enough - and its not unusual for young CHL goaltenders to do backup rather than ECHL.

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Wouldn't D'Orio likely go to ECHL where he can start games? Or is it more likely he splits time with Jarry?

Yea, Jarry is waiver eligible. So they're either trading him or DeSmith. They'd lose him on a waiver claim.

Dunno.

I would if theres room in the 50 contract limit.
Liked what little i did see of him this year.

I agree. Just built like Beau Bennett.

After rooting through Hase articles, sounds like Bjorkqvist is likely to go pro but Pavs is talking about wanting to do all four years.

Hmm not sure what the extra year will do. With his size I bet he'd be better off learning how to use it against pros instead of 'kids'.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Don't see anyone claiming Jarry but I'd sign someone like Tokarski just in case.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is Jarry playing well enough, and developing well enough, for a team to take a chance on him on waivers? Keep in mind they'd have to then keep him up on the big squad or risk losing him back to the Pens.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Is Jarry playing well enough, and developing well enough, for a team to take a chance on him on waivers? Keep in mind they'd have to then keep him up on the big squad or risk losing him back to the Pens.
Don’t think he’ll even be the best goalie available on waivers. Just off the top of my head Comrie will be waived too, if he’s not traded.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Depth goaltender value is weird. Good prospects have passed through waivers before but Mike McKenna didn't. Guys like Berube get traded for, albeit for minor value.

So maybe Jarry would pass through. And maybe he wouldn't. Personally, I think that all other things being equal, that's not a gamble worth taking if he's got some trade value. And I think he probably does given that beat reporters keep mentioning him as a possible trade chip (and not just ours).

And given that his main value to us is what he could be, and that he'd need NHL game time that he can no longer get here to be that, there's no reason to gamble anyway.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He’s a junior so I guess there’s a chance he could get signed.

We have a lot of wingers and not a lot of centers, I could see WB/S depth looking like this:

Johnson - Lafferty - Haggerty
Bellerive - Blandisi - Angello
Miletic - [UFA] - Bjorkqvist
Almeida - Olund - Hallander
Drozg

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
He’s a junior so I guess there’s a chance he could get signed.

We have a lot of wingers and not a lot of centers, I could see WB/S depth looking like this:

Johnson - Lafferty - Haggerty
Bellerive - Blandisi - Angello
Miletic - [UFA] - Bjorkqvist
Almeida - Olund - Hallander
Drozg

Isn't Almeida a center?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad