Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I thought Masonius got an AHL deal but he’s playing for some other ECHL team?
Same, but I guess he didn't.

South Carolina Agrees to Terms with Joe Masonius

The South Carolina Stingrays, proud ECHL affiliate of the Washington Capitals and AHL affiliate of the Hershey Bears, have announced the signing of defenseman Joe Masonius and goaltender Gordon Defiel. Masonius is beginning his rookie professional season after a 3-year collegiate career at the University of Connecticut,

Reactions: Jacob

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Probably put him at wing if/when he gets to the pros.

200.gif

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah I think in terms of prospect depth we have some quantity at C but not a lot of quality so we might as well keep them in the middle.

Maybe in the next couple seasons two of Pavlychev, Blueger, Olund, Lafferty, and Almeida become legitimate NHL bottom-6 centers if we're lucky.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Basically the pace he was on last season, which given the injury is a good sign.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That mother****er
Seems odd, he reads like a Ian Cole clone with his skill set. Even his size almost, 6'2" 200+ lbs, skates fairly decent, very physical, has a solid first pass and can skate the puck out of his zone.

Clearly all of what we have tons of in Trotman and other future stalwarts at the ripe old age of 28.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah I think in terms of prospect depth we have some quantity at C but not a lot of quality so we might as well keep them in the middle.

Maybe in the next couple seasons two of Pavlychev, Blueger, Olund, Lafferty, and Almeida become legitimate NHL bottom-6 centers if we're lucky.

Almeida's skillset and size screams wing to me.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Eh. You'd hope for an increase in draft +2 imo. I'm giving him a pass for obvious reasons right now but I'll be curious to see if he can improve his pace towards the end of the season.

Yeah, the end of the season will be the interesting thing with him. I was prepared for him to have a slow start and by slow I mean people would freak out. His goal scoring is really what’s down while his assists are up.

2017-18: 1.30ppg, 0.65gpg, 0.65apg
2018-19: 1.28ppg, 0.50gpg, 0.78apg
Diff: -.02ppg, -0.15gpg, +0.13apg

We can draw whatever stat watching conclusions from that. Maybe his finishing ability isn’t where it was or he’s passing up on some shots he would have taken before. Maybe it’s luck or different linemates. Right now he’s 2.7 goals away from his previous gpg stat so it could easily be made up and he’d be on pace for 101 points.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, the end of the season will be the interesting thing with him. I was prepared for him to have a slow start and by slow I mean people would freak out. His goal scoring is really what’s down while his assists are up.

2017-18: 1.30ppg, 0.65gpg, 0.65apg
2018-19: 1.28ppg, 0.50gpg, 0.78apg
Diff: -.02ppg, -0.15gpg, +0.13apg

We can draw whatever stat watching conclusions from that. Maybe his finishing ability isn’t where it was or he’s passing up on some shots he would have taken before. Maybe it’s luck or different linemates. Right now he’s 2.7 goals away from his previous gpg stat so it could easily be made up and he’d be on pace for 101 points.

14.28 shooting percentage last season, 12.5 shooting percentage this season. Shots per game dropped by .5

That could easily be any of what you've said, or just as easily total fluke.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
14.28 shooting percentage last season, 12.5 shooting percentage this season. Shots per game dropped by .5

Lethbridge should be better than last year too. Add that to the fact he just didn’t look nearly as good eye test wise in 2018 camp and preseason as he did in 2017. Hopefully it’s more “shaking off the rust” from an tumultuous offseason and not “injury during critical period in development stunting his long term growth”.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Lethbridge should be better than last year too. Add that to the fact he just didn’t look nearly as good eye test wise in 2018 camp and preseason as he did in 2017. Hopefully it’s more “shaking off the rust” from an tumultuous offseason and not “injury during critical period in development stunting his long term growth”.

They overachieved last year from what I understand. No one expected them to be up there once they traded Estephen. Its possible they had a bit of complacency after that run, particularly with Cozens projected to go very high.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Or he was overly lucky last year. Maybe it’s a combination of things. :dunno:

I’d lean towards the increased assist total being linked to the reduction in shots per game and goals. It’s more a question of why that’s happening. It’s still a relatively small sample size and a hat trick could do a lot for his shooting percentage, gpg and ppg. It’s a compromised season and everyone gets to hope it’s only that. :/

Reactions: Peat

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Or he was overly lucky last year. Maybe it’s a combination of things. :dunno:

I’d lean towards the increased assist total being linked to the reduction in shots per game and goals. It’s more a question of why that’s happening. It’s still a relatively small sample size and a hat trick could do a lot for his shooting percentage, gpg and ppg. It’s a compromised season and everyone gets to hope it’s only that. :/

Meanwhile, the 4 other teammates who comprise this season's top-5 have all seen their production increase by 37, 16, 43 and 68 percent from last season. It's a bad sign to see his production stagnate while his teammates are improving, but hopefully someone who has watched him can provide more context.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad