Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I’d probably trade Nieto, trade or not QO Bemstrom and let that 4th line be Acciari plus Poulin, Puljujarvi, Ponomarev and Gruden battling it out for the other 2 spots plus the extra forward.

Ponomarev can be sent down without clearing next season so if he starts as the 14th forward on the depth chart it’s not the end of the world. First guy up when there’s injuries, and probably like Puustinen finishes the year in the NHL.

I probably like Gruden as a depth guy / 13th forward more than the team does though. Plays wing or center, hits, PKs, skates well, young, cheap, won’t be detrimental to his development if he sits in the press box for long stretches.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
My issue is not this signing, it is bringing in so many forwards that are just have the same attributes. A bunch of smaller LW skill types that all look the same. Broz can play center and maybe Ponomarev can get to the size and strength to play a more two way game. Both along with Poulin can give the Pens nice size and jam at center. Gruden is a decent fourth line jam winger but again his size is just not going to translate to the NHL as a strong physical presence.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I’d probably trade Nieto, trade or not QO Bemstrom and let that 4th line be Acciari plus Poulin, Puljujarvi, Ponomarev and Gruden battling it out for the other 2 spots plus the extra forward.

Ponomarev can be sent down without clearing next season so if he starts as the 14th forward on the depth chart it’s not the end of the world. First guy up when there’s injuries, and probably like Puustinen finishes the year in the NHL.

I probably like Gruden as a depth guy / 13th forward more than the team does though. Plays wing or center, hits, PKs, skates well, young, cheap, won’t be detrimental to his development if he sits in the press box for long stretches.
I really liked what Gruden showed in his last call up. Was really throwing his body around and had a good motor. I cannot fathom why he would not be more attractive than a more expensive vet.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
I really liked what Gruden showed in his last call up. Was really throwing his body around and had a good motor. I cannot fathom why he would not be more attractive than a more expensive vet.
He should have been born earlier if he wanted to make a Mike Sullivan coached team.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yager’s MJ defeats Pickering’s SC 4-1. Pickering had a respectable 1+6 in 9 PO games.

Assume he joins WB/S but being he won’t get into any regular season games and them being deep on LD he might have to wait for an opening.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
My issue is not this signing, it is bringing in so many forwards that are just have the same attributes. A bunch of smaller LW skill types that all look the same. Broz can play center and maybe Ponomarev can get to the size and strength to play a more two way game. Both along with Poulin can give the Pens nice size and jam at center. Gruden is a decent fourth line jam winger but again his size is just not going to translate to the NHL as a strong physical presence.

Isn't Ponomarev's two way game one of his strengths?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
A two way game that requires being more than a stick on puck player. that requires actually playing physical and being strong enough to defend. But with Broz, Ponomarev and Poulin, pens are adding depth and competition to the mix. Add in Yagar down the road and at least that is a start.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
All they have to do is sit one of Ouellet or Fedun. Not a lot of forcing going on there.

The team has played very well recently Fedun is the captain and Ouellet and assistant.

Taking them out to put in a rookie would be dumb for game one. WBS should try to win. Making the team worse is kick to the other players. Getting experience winning meaningful games for Poulin, Puustinen, Blomqvist and potential Koivunen among others is more important than getting Pickering in.

Pickering was awful when he joined WBS at seasons end last year. No need to push him in.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
The team has played very well recently Fedun is the captain and Ouellet and assistant.

Taking them out to put in a rookie would be dumb for game one. WBS should try to win. Making the team worse is kick to the other players. Getting experience winning meaningful games for Poulin, Puustinen, Blomqvist and potential Koivunen among others is more important than getting Pickering in.

Pickering was awful when he joined WBS at seasons end last year. No need to push him in.
Those guys are good, established AHL players.
Fedun is 35 and has been a veteran scratch at various points this season.

The purpose of WBS is to develop future Penguins. That includes Pickering.

Rotating Fedun and Ouellet so that Pickering can play - or even going with 7 defensemen - isn't going to drastically alter WBS' chances.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Fedun is 35 and has been a veteran scratch at various points this season.

The purpose of WBS is to develop future Penguins. That includes Pickering.

Rotating Fedun and Ouellet so that Pickering can play - or even going with 7 defensemen - isn't going to drastically alter WBS' chances.

Defense is super important for a young goaltender. It can absolutely alter chances. Forwards are much easier to bring in but not defense.

Putting a guy in who doesn't even have a week of practice with the team is so stupid. Good player development is not putting a player in spot to fail. Although this team loves to do that.

If wbs loses game one or two and pickering looks good in practice sure. But no way should he go in for game one.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
you need to grow out of that dam commonsense thing! you must not be spending enough time on these boards. snap out of it.:teach:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Playing prospects over better players would be doing a disservice to the rest of the prospects that would benefit from a playoff run.
Plus if he practices with the team and injuries do occur, he can always be brought in as a last resort. There were a couple of Pens players who did just that IIRC before they officially started their pro careers, no?

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Plus if he practices with the team and injuries do occur, he can always be brought in as a last resort. There were a couple of Pens players who did just that IIRC before they officially started their pro careers, no?
Ya i mean you hope WBS goes on a run. If that happens injuries will happen.

But there playoffs are best of 5 i think, so no room for error.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Defense is super important for a young goaltender. It can absolutely alter chances. Forwards are much easier to bring in but not defense.

Putting a guy in who doesn't even have a week of practice with the team is so stupid. Good player development is not putting a player in spot to fail. Although this team loves to do that.

If wbs loses game one or two and pickering looks good in practice sure. But no way should he go in for game one.
Pickering has been in playoff mode for the last two weeks. Outside of getting up to speed on the system - which he should have some basic knowledge from being in camp - there's not a huge ramp up time. A practice or two, sure. Maybe he sits out Game 1. But I think you're overstating the acclimatization process for a player like him.

And again, winning is secondary to providing opportunity and developmental time to the organization's top prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad