Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Our 14th overall pick just got juked out of his shoes
Yeah I saw that lol. Little spin-o-rama by the defensemen folded Yager haha.

Pens kill off a 5 on 3 PP. One nice save for Blomqvist right from the slot.

Another nice save from Blomqvist (I think thats him in net? Haven't actually seen the back of his jersey to verify). Mini breakaway and he shuts the door as the Bruins player tries to go cross crease.

Last edited:

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
Yeah I saw that lol. Little spin-o-rama by the defensemen folded Yager haha.

Pens kill off a 5 on 3 PP. One nice save for Blomqvist right from the slot.

Another nice save from Blomqvist (I think thats him in net? Haven't actually seen the back of his jersey to verify). Mini breakaway and he shuts the door as the Bruins player tries to go cross crease.
I didnt think it was Blomqvist because on the Pens website there’s a pic of him wearing 65 during camp. I think it might be Gauthier ? I Cant find anything to confirm numbers.

Andonovski has some pep in his step today

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Blomqvist is wearing 30, and is the starter in the game according to various reporters who are there.

My impression of Blomqvist so far is very similar to my impression from the summer dev camp: he gets caught out of position at times, and ends up being very scrambly as a result. Kind of reminds of Fleury a little, in that he doesn't really have the technical aspects down, but he has the athleticism to make up for it.
Unlike Fleury, he at least doesn't seem to wander out of his net for no apparent reason, at least.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
-LOL, Evan Vierling completely bowls over the goalie driving to the net and a Pens player scores on the empty net. Refs deliberating right now.

Good goal by Lukas Svejkovsky

2-2

-Poulin's line (Cooper Foster - Sam Poulin - Lukas Svejkovsky) with the best shift of the game for the Pens. About a minute in the offensive zone with some good cycle work.

-Yager with a partial 2 on 1, elects to pass the puck and turns it over.

-Andonovski visible in this game. Looks physically stronger than the opposition. I would be worried if he wasn't, considering he's 24 and one of the oldest prospects here.

-Bruins score late in the period on a PP to make it 3-2. Good puck movement laterally got Blomqvist out of position.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Blomqvist is wearing 30, and is the starter in the game according to various reporters who are there.

My impression of Blomqvist so far is very similar to my impression from the summer dev camp: he gets caught out of position at times, and ends up being very scrambly as a result. Kind of reminds of Fleury a little, in that he doesn't really have the technical aspects down, but he has the athleticism to make up for it.
Unlike Fleury, he at least doesn't seem to wander out of his net for no apparent reason, at least.

His nickname is Flower. What do you expect?

Reactions: Freeptop

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
First time watching Hamaliuk (part of the EK65 deal), seems like a shit stirrer. Couple different Bruins players in his grill after the whistle. Good size too.

I don't know if its his skating posture but Yager does not look 6'0".

-Poulin almost buried a goal while doing a split in front of the net. Pretty athletic play.

- 4-2 Bruins on a beautiful one timer top shelf on the PP. Blomqvist is very active in the net. I don't want to say he overreacts to puck movement, but that analysis from @Freeptop above is spot on.

Didn't see the goalie change but that one was actually on Michael Simpson.

-Yagers line with a few offensive chances. Teammate drove the net and dished it to Yager in the slot for a dangerous shot on goal.

-Gotten pretty chippy in the 3rd period. One guy a side going to the box but still 5 on 5. Andonovski pretty physical as mentioned above. Then gets absolutely blown up a few shifts later lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The future looks bleak if this game is a depiction of whats to come. lmao

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Final: 4-2 Bruins.

Felt like Boston had at least 65% puck possession and high danger chances. Apart from the goal scorers Sam Houde and Lukas Svejkovsky, the only player that really stood out to me in any positive way was Corey Andonovski.

1 Assist. This was a pretty intense scrimmage, dudes were straight up running each other in the 3rd period. He got absolutely blown up on one shift, but then a few minutes later a guy tried the same thing and bounced off him. 4 years of college + 1 full AHL season, so he should be physically ready. Skill doesn't seem off the charts but if we had a rash of injuries at forward, I wouldn't be worried about him getting killed out there if he ever got called up.

I noticed Poulin like twice this game. Had a chance in front of the net that he almost put in off his back but that's about it.

Yager didn't really stand out. Had a few offensive chances I think. Decent skating but doesn't seem like a burner. One of the youngest guys on the team so he has time, but you can tell he needs to get bigger.

Blomqvist 3 goals allowed but I don't think any of them were bad.

All the defenseman felt like nameless grey faces.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Final: 4-2 Bruins.

Felt like Boston had at least 65% puck possession and high danger chances. Apart from the goal scorers Sam Houde and Lukas Svejkovsky, the only player that really stood out to me in any positive way was Corey Andonovski.

1 Assist. This was a pretty intense scrimmage, dudes were straight up running each other in the 3rd period. He got absolutely blown up on one shift, but then a few minutes later a guy tried the same thing and bounced off him. 4 years of college + 1 full AHL season, so he should be physically ready. Skill doesn't seem off the charts but if we had a rash of injuries at forward, I wouldn't be worried about him getting killed out there if he ever got called up.

I noticed Poulin like twice this game. Had a chance in front of the net that he almost put in off his back but that's about it.

Yager didn't really stand out. Had a few offensive chances I think. Decent skating but doesn't seem like a burner. One of the youngest guys on the team so he has time, but you can tell he needs to get bigger.

Blomqvist 3 goals allowed but I don't think any of them were bad.

All the defenseman felt like nameless grey faces.
Yager is going to have to Step Up justify that 14th overall selection. What a snoozefest! Not off to a good start but that's all it is at this point, just one game. That said he's not looking all that great to me. Truth be told I thought they reached a bit with that pic. I thought he was running somewhere between 18 and 22. Wish we could have got Benson. Hope he improves, he should and will need him to.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Thanks for the updates, people…too bad about Yager …I was really hoping he’d show enough immediately to get a try out with Sid to sub in for Jake..

Last edited:

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
Suckqvist in goal was awful. Yes, Lukas Suckovsky scored, big deal. Sam Poolin had a stinker. We may as well have drafted Limp Larry from down the street with that 14th pick because Brayden Yagsuck didn’t do shit. It was fitting we wore practice jerseys because these sucks don’t deserve to wear the uniform.

Other than that though I really liked the heart the boys played with tonight and I look forward to cheering them on next game. We will need to be positive and patient with these young studs. Lots of promise with these guys and I can’t wait to see what’s around the corner. Great match today!

Reactions: Jacob

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Suckqvist in goal was awful. Yes, Lukas Suckovsky scored, big deal. Sam Poolin had a stinker. We may as well have drafted Limp Larry from down the street with that 14th pick because Brayden Yagsuck didn’t do shit. It was fitting we wore practice jerseys because these sucks don’t deserve to wear the uniform.

Other than that though I really liked the heart the boys played with tonight and I look forward to cheering them on next game. We will need to be positive and patient with these young studs. Lots of promise with these guys and I can’t wait to see what’s around the corner. Great match today!

Blomqvist was good.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
This is a make or break year for Sam Poulin, in my view.

He turns 23 part way through this season, many forwards begin their peak years at that age.

I looked into this a bit last summer or maybe the one before it. Forwards are basically what they are by age 23.5. And defenseman by 24.5. There are some outliers but I think it was true for about 75% of skaters.

POJ, who I no longer consider a prospect, turns 24.5 at the start of next year. The first half of this season should be telling of where he stands for his NHL future.

Reactions: Andy99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad