Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Thread | Now With Multiple European Prospects!

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguins2946*

Well as I said before, I'd rather see him bust with the a Pens, than go elsewhere and blow up.

Pens need his size on their blueline and trading him could end up being one of the worst moves of Shero's tenure.

Of all the Pens NHL ready D prospects other than Despres (Maatta, Pouliot, Harrington, Dumoulin and Samuelsson), none are below 6 ft and only Samuelsson is below 200 lbs. Despres's size is nice (6'4", 225 lbs), but the other D prospects aren't much smaller (Maatta is 6'2" and 206, Pouliot is 6'0" and 203, Dumoulin is 6'4" and 219, Harrington is 6'2" and 210 and Samuelsson is 6'2" and 194). Despres would be pretty easily replaced if he were to be traded.

Disclaimer: I don't want to trade Despres and I want to move Dumoulin before him

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Of all the Pens NHL ready D prospects other than Despres (Maatta, Pouliot, Harrington, Dumoulin and Samuelsson), none are below 6 ft and only Samuelsson is below 200 lbs. Despres's size is nice (6'4", 225 lbs), but the other D prospects aren't much smaller (Maatta is 6'2" and 206, Pouliot is 6'0" and 203, Dumoulin is 6'4" and 219, Harrington is 6'2" and 210 and Samuelsson is 6'2" and 194). Despres would be pretty easily replaced if he were to be traded.

Disclaimer: I don't want to trade Despres and I want to move Dumoulin before him

None of the guys you mentioned are close to having Despres size, strength, and ability to physically handle guys, especially in front of the net and along the boards.

Maatta, Pouliot, Harrington, Dumoulin and Samuelsson are not overly physical players. Harrington is the only one on this list that will play with any real snarl consistently, but he can't over power guys like Despres can.

This team needs a talented, physically imposing top four guy like Despres to handle the Lucics and Simmonds of the league.

Their D corps will get bulled without a guy like Despres who is capable of playing top four minutes and playing in all situations. Guys like McNeil, Bort and Ruopp can bring a physical element, but they have no business in a legit top four rotation.

Despres is their only legit, talented, physically imposing blueliner and moving him would be idiotic.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
What I have seen of DP (about 5 games) his D has to improve, otherwise he will be in w-b for the entire next year. But the thing he has going for him or maybe not, is that scuds, orpik, and Eng should not be on this team next year and who knows about Letang's medical issues. Plus NISKYS UFA status and Despres departure if both DB and RS are retained. So maybe he does have a chance of avoiding W-B next year.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Despres' skill package is definitely different. Dumoulin, Harrington, and Samuelsson all compare to a guy like Maatta. Decent size, jack of all trades type defensemen who play more positionally. I don't think any defensemen we have in the system have Despres' wheels, and I don't think any defenseman we have in the system has Despres' strength. Even if he projects as a bottom pairing defenseman, barring a great player coming back in return, I'd just let him be a bottom pairing guy because what he brings is unique.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Despres' skill package is definitely different. Dumoulin, Harrington, and Samuelsson all compare to a guy like Maatta. Decent size, jack of all trades type defensemen who play more positionally. I don't think any defensemen we have in the system have Despres' wheels, and I don't think any defenseman we have in the system has Despres' strength. Even if he projects as a bottom pairing defenseman, barring a great player coming back in return, I'd just let him be a bottom pairing guy because what he brings is unique.

and as a bonus, he projects as a 2nd pairing guy and has already shown that he can be just that.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Pouliot has passed up Glen Wesley as the all time Portland Dmen in playoff points. DP now has 53 playoff points, in 70 games.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Now there's a name I haven't heard in a while, Glen Wesley. He's the guy I would pick in one of the EA games when someone took all of the big name puck moving defensemen that can skate.

That glorious ginger.

penguins2946*

Pouliot had an assist with like 10 seconds left last night in Portland's 2-1 loss, bringing him to 13 points in 7 games. I was shocked that Portland was held to 1 goal

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Looks like the other goalie probably had to stand on his head a bit. 38 for 39. Meanwhile, Portland's PK was only 6-8, while their PP was 0-4. That'll do ya in most nights.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Looks like the other goalie probably had to stand on his head a bit. 38 for 39. Meanwhile, Portland's PK was only 6-8, while their PP was 0-4. That'll do ya in most nights.

Polivka was really good for Victoria, and the Royals did an effective job limiting Portland's speed through the neutral zone. The Hawks still got a lot of chances, particularly at the end. They nearly tied it up just as the 3rd period ended after being down 2-0 for almost the whole game.

Burke is a pretty meh goalie and he's let in a couple weak ones tonight. Portland loves playing an east/west game and it burned them on the SH goal against. I don't like Dumba at all...he's like bad Letang every night.

Pouliot is so self-assured. He's a one-man transition and never forces plays or double-clutches on the PP. He'll be a revelation for people used to seeing Tanger/Martin/Nisky on the point...even with all the talent in Portland, it's clear who runs the show out there. His biggest problems continue to be a lack of urgency/focus in his own end, a tendency to play the puck instead of the man, and not being hard on pucks. If he's not in the NHL next year that'll be why, but the Pens brass may decide his high-end offensive IQ is worth the growing pains.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If Bortuzzo continues to improve his game and bulks up 10lbs, him and Despres could be a damn fun duo to watch.

I really think Bortz can be our "Girardi" soon.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Polivka was really good for Victoria, and the Royals did an effective job limiting Portland's speed through the neutral zone. The Hawks still got a lot of chances, particularly at the end. They nearly tied it up just as the 3rd period ended after being down 2-0 for almost the whole game.

Burke is a pretty meh goalie and he's let in a couple weak ones tonight. Portland loves playing an east/west game and it burned them on the SH goal against. I don't like Dumba at all...he's like bad Letang every night.

Pouliot is so self-assured. He's a one-man transition and never forces plays or double-clutches on the PP. He'll be a revelation for people used to seeing Tanger/Martin/Nisky on the point...even with all the talent in Portland, it's clear who runs the show out there. His biggest problems continue to be a lack of urgency/focus in his own end, a tendency to play the puck instead of the man, and not being hard on pucks. If he's not in the NHL next year that'll be why, but the Pens brass may decide his high-end offensive IQ is worth the growing pains.

And this is why I don't want to lose him for Ryan Kesler. I think people are so enamored with the idea of Kesler that they are forgetting what kind of player the team might have to give up.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
No shutout for Jarry, but a 5-2 win for a 3-0 series lead. Wanna see a Portland vs Edmonton final. Jarry vs Pouliot.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
And this is why I don't want to lose him for Ryan Kesler. I think people are so enamored with the idea of Kesler that they are forgetting what kind of player the team might have to give up.
Yeah, I am very hesitant about this, too. Pouliot is an unique talent which we don´t have in our D-system. We have a logjam at D, but noone like DP. Kesler has what.. 4-5 years of great hockey left in him? With his injuries, maybe even here I´m a little bit generous. With Pouliot, we might have 15 years of exciting hockey waiting for us.

I understand that it´s all about winning NOW for us but I have a feeling that we could really regret trading Pouliot, possibly very soon. If there´s another way of how to land Kesler, then I´m all for it. If it is Pouliot++(++ it would be), then no thanks.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah, I am very hesitant about this, too. Pouliot is an unique talent which we don´t have in our D-system. We have a logjam at D, but noone like DP. Kesler has what.. 4-5 years of great hockey left in him? With his injuries, maybe even here I´m a little bit generous. With Pouliot, we might have 15 years of exciting hockey waiting for us.

I understand that it´s all about winning NOW for us but I have a feeling that we could really regret trading Pouliot, possibly very soon. If there´s another way of how to land Kesler, then I´m all for it. If it is Pouliot++(++ it would be), then no thanks.

The Pens brass must get over this three center model BS. It worked once and hasn't worked since.

Build around the best two players in the game and you don't need a great third pivot.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I don't think people are forgetting Pouliot's upside/talent. I'm sure not.

The main issue people have is wanting to maximize Sid and Geno's primes. If Pouliot becomes a great #1 defenseman in 5 years, and Sid and Geno's wings suffer in the interim, is that a net gain?

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I don't think people are forgetting Pouliot's upside/talent. I'm sure not.

The main issue people have is wanting to maximize Sid and Geno's primes. If Pouliot becomes a great #1 defenseman in 5 years, and Sid and Geno's wings suffer in the interim, is that a net gain?
What about signing some respectable FAs, for once? We don´t have to give up pieces for them.. Then again, Kesler is very good. I would still give up a lot for him. Just not Pouliot++, that would have a big potential of a big mistake.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
What about signing some respectable FAs, for once? We don´t have to give up pieces for them.. Then again, Kesler is very good. I would still give up a lot for him. Just not Pouliot++, that would have a big potential of a big mistake.

Kesler's an elite, versatile, two-way forward with size and grit on a plum deal for the next two years. Essentially everything we need. FA options won't be as good for us, and will cost considerably more.

Where's everyone who wanted Semin and Horton the last couple years? What the **** have those guys done to warrant the contracts they received, in spite of all the Shero haters going ape when we didn't sign them?

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Kesler's an elite, versatile, two-way forward with size and grit on a plum deal for the next two years. Essentially everything we need. FA options won't be as good for us, and will cost considerably more.

Where's everyone who wanted Semin and Horton the last couple years? What the **** have those guys done to warrant the contracts they received, in spite of all the Shero haters going ape when we didn't sign them?
Guy like MacArthur (instead of Scuderi) would have solved our problems last summer, though. We don´t necessarily need overhyped and overpaid big names, just solid wingers.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Pouliot with another assist in a Portland win. Also, Jean Sebastien Dea's team the Rouyn Norada Huskies are down 3-0 against the Baie Commeau Drakkar.

I've probably butchered those names but he scored last night.

Also, as I predicted Hartzell has been sent down to Wheeling.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
The Pens brass must get over this three center model BS. It worked once and hasn't worked since.

Build around the best two players in the game and you don't need a great third pivot.

It worked, it brought them to the Cup finals 2 years in a row, but it was never exactly a 3 center model after that, save the Philly series. It was more of a 2/3 Center Model of whoever was healthy at the time.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Sault Ste. Marie went out in the 2nd round of the OHL playoffs, getting swept by Erie. Matt Murray played well but his team scored just three goals all series.

Oscar Sundqvist scored his second goal of the playoffs yesterday (backhander from the edge of the crease after screening the goalie during the initial shot). Skelleftea defeated Linköping in 5 games to advance to the finals.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
There's not much time left but I wonder if they'll try to get Murray a start or two in Wilkes-Barre or Wheeling.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
For the 3 center model to work again, the 3C is going to have to be a young guy on an ELC kind of like Couterier. Unless you want Glass as your second line LW.

I think the Pens will start drafting true centers starting this offseason to build up our depth at that position. We really don't have much if Vitale and Jokinen leave.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It worked, it brought them to the Cup finals 2 years in a row, but it was never exactly a 3 center model after that, save the Philly series. It was more of a 2/3 Center Model of whoever was healthy at the time.

I'd say giving Crosby an elite winger with Hossa was much more of a driving force to get them to the cup in 2008, than having Staal around.

Staal played a big role in the cup year, but that is really the only time it has actually worked.

The model of building around two elite centers has been much more successful in the past: Yzerman/Feds, Sakic/Foppa, Lemieux/Francis, Gretzky/Messier.

It's time the Pens brass realize that, because their vision of how things should be is flawed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad