Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Thread | Now With Multiple European Prospects!

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
For any Canadian Pens fans with a free dance card tonight, you can watch Pouliot in the Winterhawks/Royals playoff game on Shaw at 10PM Eastern tonight.

Free dance card? i got shaw, but not a dance card, whatever that is. Game 3 is Monday, i'm thinking of maybe going.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Jarry with his second shutout in a row. Saw some more shots tonight, but Edmonton still had twice as many.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Watched Guelph v. London. Highly entertaining hockey.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Dang, 12 points in 6 playoff games. Please DP don't hurt 'em.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Dang, 12 points in 6 playoff games. Please DP don't hurt 'em.

DP's production has been amazing. Seriously, amazing. Has shown he can elevate his game to another gear when called upon, and I think we saw glimpses of that at the WJCs. But...

Perhaps the number that is most impressive to me is the ZERO PIMs Pouliot has in the playoffs so far. This is a player who, arguably, tends to take some dumb and lazy penalties. Sure, he has a tiny bit of a feisty side, which we all hope will grow, but that's not why he had the high PIMs during the regular season. It was those other types of penalties that caused those higher numbers. To me, it's been fantastic that DP has been able to curtail that part of his game, and has amassed zero PIMs despite playing as the team's #1 Dman. Those are "Maatta-type" numbers. Great to see that from DP, and here's to hoping that this is also an element that can evolve within his game. :handclap:

penguins2946*

Hope he spends year is WBS, then makes it to NHL.

5-3 Portland.

I'm not so sure he'll need it. His game this year has evolved a ton. He's no longer solely a PPQB that's bad to mediocre defensively, he's solid at both ends now (more in the offensive zone obviously). His hockey smarts is on par with Maatta, possibly even above. The only glaring issue with him is strength, but that didn't stop Maatta from excelling in the NHL. I'd definitely start the season with him on the bottom pair. If he's not ready, just send him back to the AHL.

The sad thing is that Shero's hoarding of D is about to bite us. Both Samuelsson and Despres are not waiver eligible next year. It's either the NHL or trade for them. I could see Samuelsson slide in as the #7 D when Engelland leaves, which would be fine. I'm thinking Despres is gone, most likely in a big trade (hopefully not just trading him for picks). I just don't see his place in the organization anymore. They just don't like him.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm not so sure he'll need it. His game this year has evolved a ton. He's no longer solely a PPQB that's bad to mediocre defensively, he's solid at both ends now (more in the offensive zone obviously). His hockey smarts is on par with Maatta, possibly even above. The only glaring issue with him is strength, but that didn't stop Maatta from excelling in the NHL. I'd definitely start the season with him on the bottom pair. If he's not ready, just send him back to the AHL.

The sad thing is that Shero's hoarding of D is about to bite us. Both Samuelsson and Despres are not waiver eligible next year. It's either the NHL or trade for them. I could see Samuelsson slide in as the #7 D when Engelland leaves, which would be fine. I'm thinking Despres is gone, most likely in a big trade (hopefully not just trading him for picks). I just don't see his place in the organization anymore. They just don't like him.

Thing is, Dumo is ready now I feel. Harrington could play in the NHL next year as well in a bottom pairing role. McNeil is really coming along also.

This is why Despres needs to be playing now so the org knows what they have in him.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Pouliot´s amazing progress might be the another reason why Shero will trade Despres in the offseason. I´m fine with that as long as Pouliot is a full-time NHLer next year.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I would guess that one of our d prospects are traded at the draft. Whether the traded prospect is part of a larger trade (for a trade-up, for a winger, whatever), or just a spot clearing deal, I have no clue. But I have a feeling it happens.

Personally, I would be interested in looking at moving up in the draft. I wonder what a package of Sutter and Despres would bring in. And what would adding our first add on top of that?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Pouliot´s amazing progress might be the another reason why Shero will trade Despres in the offseason. I´m fine with that as long as Pouliot is a full-time NHLer next year.

After his coach kills Despres' trade value?

penguins2946*

Thing is, Dumo is ready now I feel. Harrington could play in the NHL next year as well in a bottom pairing role. McNeil is really coming along also.

This is why Despres needs to be playing now so the org knows what they have in him.

I know, and I agree entirely. That's the problem with only drafting D. If you draft 8 and 3 work out, you consider that a success and you don't have that many roster issues. However, when almost all of them pan out and you draft a ton to begin, you start having a problem. In the pipeline, all of Maatta, Despres, Pouliot, Dumoulin, Harrington, and Samuelsson can play in the NHL at least on a bottom pair role. That's a problem. I know defensive depth is great, but you can fill that up in free agency. Despres is about to get screwed by Shero's drafting policy, even more than he already has. If nothing else, Despres should be in right now to be showcasing him to other teams.

I would guess that one of our d prospects are traded at the draft. Whether the traded prospect is part of a larger trade (for a trade-up, for a winger, whatever), or just a spot clearing deal, I have no clue. But I have a feeling it happens.

Personally, I would be interested in looking at moving up in the draft. I wonder what a package of Sutter and Despres would bring in. And what would adding our first add on top of that?

kesler-mm.jpg

:sarcasm:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Well, it is what it is. I think the most general managers understand this process and Despres still has at least decent value.

Well as I said before, I'd rather see him bust with the a Pens, than go elsewhere and blow up.

Pens need his size on their blueline and trading him could end up being one of the worst moves of Shero's tenure.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I'd rather keep Despres unless he can be moved in a package for someone like Kesler or Evander Kane. I also really hope Despres outlasts Bylsma and we get to see what a hopefully better coach can do with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad