Pre-Game Talk: Pittsburgh Penguins @ Columbus Blue Jackets 3/11/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Gotta win more of these divisional match ups. I think we're doing better with Sully as bench boss, because MJ lost like every single one IIRC. Still, not good enough.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Another big game. They are all big at this point but you can't lay any eggs against non playoff teams.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Now, don't bring Bennett back for this game.

Agreed but there really isn't a good game to bring him back. Maybe Carolina next thursday. He's going to have to be ready to play in playoff like matchups really soon.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Another big game. They are all big at this point but you can't lay any eggs against non playoff teams.

Especially since by my count we have 7 games remaining against non playoff teams and 3 of those games are against the Flyers who are right on the borderline.

These gimme games need to be just that for the Pens because our schedule is very tough.

For those who do want to see that first round pick, I actually don't think it's too unlikely given our tough schedule. The team is going to have to get its **** together if they wanna make it.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Hagelin and Lovejoy have returned to practice.

The playing time for the defensemen is going to be pretty interesting to track.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Wilson demoted. Kunitz promoted. Pouliot still the 7th D.

It's bizarre, but I genuinely think this team caters to Kunitz over Crosby or Malkin.

It's like, Crosby's line was struggling, so they moved Kunitz to Malkin's line. Suddenly Crosby's line was fine.

Then Malkin's line was struggling, so they moved Kunitz to Crosby's line. Malkin's line got a little better.

Crosby's line was struggling again, so they moved Kunitz back to Malkin's line. Crosby's line then played a strong couple games and Wilson even scored a goal.

But Malkin's line was struggling. So now Kunitz is back on the first line.

They've been playing hot potato when the obvious answer is to not saddle either center with him. Why is Kunitz having a spot in the top-6 more important than Sid and Geno's success?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Bad timing to take the size out the lineup.
We only win if Geno's line +Sid-Horny dragging around an anchor go off.
So the usual.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Is Sestito not going to play this game? I thought that would be the reason he was called up.

Fehr + Hags means 2 have to come out.
Pick 2 of Sestitio, Sheary, Kuhnackl and Rust.

They made the right picks to sit.
Just bad timing is all for me.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It's bizarre, but I genuinely think this team caters to Kunitz over Crosby or Malkin.

It's like, Crosby's line was struggling, so they moved Kunitz to Malkin's line. Suddenly Crosby's line was fine.

Then Malkin's line was struggling, so they moved Kunitz to Crosby's line. Malkin's line got a little better.

Crosby's line was struggling again, so they moved Kunitz back to Malkin's line. Crosby's line then played a strong couple games and Wilson even scored a goal.

They've been playing hot potato when the obvious answer is to not saddle either center with him. Why is Kunitz having a spot in the top-6 more important than Sid and Geno's success?

I don't think this is anything new with this org either, that's the weird thing. idk if it's that Kunitz is more vocal so the squeaky wheel gets the oil, if Guerin or whoever is close friends with him, if he's like Adams in that he's good at getting in good with people or if the org is just in love with their "blue collar, character guys who are clearly Penguins hockey. 2009" above all else. They love their ****** vets.

You've got to figure that there's a good chance that another player explodes at or about Kunitz eventually and all hell breaks loose. It should be funny.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Fehr + Hags means 2 have to come out.
Pick 2 of Sestitio, Sheary, Kuhnackl and Rust.

They made the right picks to sit.
Just bad timing is all for me.

Let Fehr rest another game then. If Sestito is going to be up, he should be playing in this game. His sole role should be to threaten Dubinsky all game.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
I saw in another thread that Sestito said something about Dubinski. What did he say? If was in a tweet, I can't see those right now.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Kunitz is the real generational player that's why they cater to him over Crosby.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Kunitz's tenure with the Pens, his "established top 6" rep, his pay rate, and his relationship with our stars (Crosby regularly babysat his kids ffs) all combine to ensure his Teflon Don status. I mean, it was the exact same thing with Dupes.

What he's doing to their lines doesn't even play into it, IMO. They just feel he has to be a top 6er.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
I saw in another thread that Sestito said something about Dubinski. What did he say? If was in a tweet, I can't see those right now.

“Definitely,†Sestito said of relishing his role, per the Columbus Dispatch. “If I can deter guys from taking runs at Sid, that’s my job. And if they’re taking runs at him, I’ll take runs at their stars.

“I’ll go after Dubinsky as much as I can.â€

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/03/10/pens-tough-guy-sestito-will-go-after-dubinsky-as-much-as-i-can/

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
It's funny because when Perron was interviewed before the last Pens/Ducks game he specifically mentioned Kunitz as one of the people he was closest to on the team.

So who knows? His teammates might just love him in all of his cruddy glory.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
There's always someone pushing for your job or your role or whatever it may be,” said Sullivan, who earlier in the week noted he did not want the healthy scratches to affect Pouliot's confidence.

source.

[insert smug Kunitz picture here]

Pushing for Kunitz's job must be like Sisyphus pushing that rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad