Post-Game Talk: Pittsburgh Penguins at New York Rangers 11/11/14 (POLL ADDED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Don't forget this...can't believe it was 6 years ago already.

Oh that was a great game, can't believe I forgot it. Just vintage Hank. Another classic Lundqvist game was the one where we lost in OT, but Hank made his 50th save of the game by robbing Malkin on the PP when Drury (IIRC) ran back to the bench to get a new stick.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Oh that was a great game, can't believe I forgot it. Just vintage Hank. Another classic Lundqvist game was the one where we lost in OT, but Hank made his 50th save of the game by robbing Malkin on the PP when Drury (IIRC) ran back to the bench to get a new stick.

Too bad Zherdev walked away from the $3.2M he was being offered... guy must have been something else. I wasn't an avid viewer at the time of that team, but he looks like he really fit here

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Too bad Zherdev walked away from the $3.2M he was being offered... guy must have been something else. I wasn't an avid viewer at the time of that team, but he looks like he really fit here

he definitely needed to be better on the defensive side of things and way less lazy, but his wrist shot was ridiculous.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I think the Rangers have some inconsistent tendencies, but I also think we have the highest peak in the conference when we're on. The only team that can match our peak IMO is this team in Pittsburgh, and we seem to know how to handle them.
Tampa might be the team to fear most.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Zherdev had more offensive talent than Pavel Datsyuk but was one of the worst defensive players in the league and had absolutely zero heart. Maybe that Datsyuk thing is a bit much but my point is he had all the offensive talent in the world.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
At the time I wanted Zherdev to stay... I thought he wanted too much $ however.

Nowadays, I don't miss him. Too many vanishing acts and zero defense.

That isn't to say on certain nights we couldn't use his skills, but we're a more rounded team these days, no room for Zherdev types.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Zherdev had more offensive talent than Pavel Datsyuk but was one of the worst defensive players in the league and had absolutely zero heart. Maybe that Datsyuk thing is a bit much but my point is he had all the offensive talent in the world.

That is very much too much. Actually it's laughable and absurd.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Yeah, there's been some classics against Pitt this decade. I'll never forget the Marc Staal SHG to bring the game to OT and then Sam's ensuing call on the GWG.

2 on one! 2 on none! (hoarse) SCORE!

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

I think the "no heart" thing is overblown with Zherdev. He was very clearly far from the smartest player to hit the ice.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I just realized we pretty much shut down the Pens (Hank made a few great saves), without either Mcdonagh or Boyle in the line up

can't wait til we get all 6 dmen healthy.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York

His shot was out of this world. See very few like the one he had.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Torts killed zherdev.

Nik wasn't a torts guy. Supremely talented offensive player not much of a 2 way player and certainly not a guy who could thrive in the "torts system" ala Blair betts or Ryan Callahan. Back checking and defensive hockey wasn't zherdevs forte lets just say.

Frequent benchings and being made an example of was par for the course with nik and John. Zherdev had a full time room in torts' chateau bow wow.

Same as lisin and then gaborik.

As I've always said, torts liked his players north American.

Glad that clown is gone.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

Actually he was awarded 3.9 in arb.

Torts and slats chose to walk away.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
if AV was the coach at the time zherdev would have flourished he was coming into his own

never recovered after having to deal with torts.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Zherdev had a ton of talent but he was a waste. Started off like a house on fire but down the stretch--he produced nothing and in the playoffs he was a big fat zero--literally and figuratively the worst player on the ice. He had problems in Columbus before coming to the Rangers. He had problems in Philadelphia after. His contract demands were outrageous and especially the way he finished the season before. I was not sorry to see him go.

While it may be true that Zherdev and Tortorella weren't made for each other. Tortorella didn't become coach (replacing Renney) until nearly the end of February of that year (maybe the last 15-20 games of the year) and by that time Zherdev was already in a big slump which he never came out of. He played like a loser. Torts didn't like Avery (and vice versa) either but Avery didn't disappear and Avery managed to stay in the lineup because Avery whether you liked him or not always played with heart. Torts didn't like a lot of guys that year. He came in and pretty much said the team didn't have the conditioning to get past the first round. A good percentage of that team were not Rangers at the end of the next year.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Just looked it up. Gomez, Naslund, Mara, Zherdev, Korpikoski, Dawes, Sjostrom, Betts, and Orr all were on different teams the year after.

Man, that team really was trash.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I think the "no heart" thing is overblown with Zherdev. He was very clearly far from the smartest player to hit the ice.

He wasn't but he dogged it pretty hard after Torts came in. I honest to God still can't believe he manged to go that entire Caps series without recording a point.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Why? Pens always on the top of the east. Whereas tampa is having a hot start this year and will cool down. oh and when was the last time they won a playoff game?

The team to fear the most is Boston because we can't beat Boston.

What happened last year is irrelevant to this year.

Tampa will not fall apart. They have an excellent group of forwards and a very good goalie. The defense isn't shabby, either.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Zherdev had a ton of talent but he was a waste. Started off like a house on fire but down the stretch--he produced nothing and in the playoffs he was a big fat zero--literally and figuratively the worst player on the ice. He had problems in Columbus before coming to the Rangers. He had problems in Philadelphia after. His contract demands were outrageous and especially the way he finished the season before. I was not sorry to see him go.

While it may be true that Zherdev and Tortorella weren't made for each other. Tortorella didn't become coach (replacing Renney) until nearly the end of February of that year (maybe the last 15-20 games of the year) and by that time Zherdev was already in a big slump which he never came out of. He played like a loser. Torts didn't like Avery (and vice versa) either but Avery didn't disappear and Avery managed to stay in the lineup because Avery whether you liked him or not always played with heart. Torts didn't like a lot of guys that year. He came in and pretty much said the team didn't have the conditioning to get past the first round. A good percentage of that team were not Rangers at the end of the next year.

I absolutely agree with you. Zherdev may have world-class talent, but he isn't cut out to play in the NHL. Don't miss him on the team, don't miss him in the league. He's right where he should be.

Last edited:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Torts killed zherdev.

Nik wasn't a torts guy. Supremely talented offensive player not much of a 2 way player and certainly not a guy who could thrive in the "torts system" ala Blair betts or Ryan Callahan. Back checking and defensive hockey wasn't zherdevs forte lets just say.

Frequent benchings and being made an example of was par for the course with nik and John. Zherdev had a full time room in torts' chateau bow wow.

Same as lisin and then gaborik.

As I've always said, torts liked his players north American.

Glad that clown is gone.

Coaches can't ruin players. It's a nonsensical notion that often gets repeated.

Yeah, Lisin would have been a real star if not for Torts. Sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad