Post-Game Talk: Pittsburgh Penguins at New York Rangers 11/11/14 (POLL ADDED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A couple hours ago I took a look at Zherdev's profile page at Elite Prospects which IMO is a better version of hockey database. Elite Prospects is more Euro-centric than North American as a hockey site and there are profile reviews of numerous players--though they tend to describe European players more than Canadian or United States players.

The first short paragraph marveled at Zherdev's stick, shooting and skating skills. The second paragraph mentioned his not so hot defensive play, that despite very good size he avoids physical play and that his work ethic left a lot to be desired. Which pretty much describes the same player that I remember. He wanted a long term $4.5 mil per year contract (which we could probably pro-rate to $6?--$6.5 today) after he pulled his disappearing act in the second half of the season and after being a no show in the playoffs and he wasn't going to budge--he was going to take the team to arbitration.

For me it was good riddance.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Zherdev was supremely skilled but inconsistent, which is something that plagued him throughout his career. I defended him when he was on the team, but I really think we dodged a bullet when we cut ties with him.

He wasn't the best locker room guy and his work ethic was questionable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Zherdev had the ability to be so calm and casual with the puck on his stick. Unfortunately, calm and casual also describes his approach to backchecking and overall defensive play. When he's producing, you can ignore those shortcomings somewhat. But, he's also inconsistent, so when he's gone cold offensively, you want to send him to Siberia.

And on the topic of Enver Lisin.... :laugh:
Well, let's just say if you removed Chris Kreider's brain and replaced it with that of a squirrel, you would get something awfully close to what Enver Lisin was for the Rangers. Smooth, powerful skating, decent height/frame, great shot, but absolutely no idea of how to play in the NHL.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Hey guys, I'm making the Rangers/Avs GDT on the main boards, what are your guys' lineup look like?

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL

original.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad