Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguin Salary Thread: TDL - 7 Days.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The "does almost everything" makes me shudder. Invokes the psychic damage of having watched all these swiss army knife forwards the Pens have been obsessed with hoarding the past few years. Hagel's also shooting 22% this season, so that's something to consider.

Reactions: SomeDude

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The option of adding another guy who isn’t a world beater but can play in the top 6 while keeping Kapanen is also something that’s valid.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't think there's even been a time when this team hasn't needed good cheap players. Not enough that I hope we're the team stumping up for Hagel, but he'd fit a need.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Huh... Didn't see Tampa as making any kinda splash. I guess they felt the need to do something with Florida going all-in.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Based on the price being thrown out for Hagel, I'm glad the Penguins didn't do that.

Trading that much for a 15 goal, 40 point guy having a career season would make me super uncomfortable. Tampa Bay can do it because they're firmly in the middle of their contending window, considering the age of their core. The Penguins aren't at that point anymore.

This is a deal I would have loved to see the Penguins make in like 2012 or 2013.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Hope Florida destroys Tampa. Great team but I don’t want history stained by a fake 3 peat, thanks.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I’m going completely off of memory so it could be betraying me. But I believe the Pens did this for a good stretch during the 09 cup run. Again I may be remembering wrong but I believe it was for 2 series we did just that.
I have no memory of it but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Based on the price being thrown out for Hagel, I'm glad the Penguins didn't do that.

Trading that much for a 15 goal, 40 point guy having a career season would make me super uncomfortable. Tampa Bay can do it because they're firmly in the middle of their contending window, considering the age of their core. The Penguins aren't at that point anymore.

This is a deal I would have loved to see the Penguins make in like 2012 or 2013.
*Continuing to pay that much for a 15g, 40p guy. We're already two 1st rounders and two prospects into that endeavor these past couple of seasons. :laugh:

dingo71

Apr 27, 2021
I have no memory of it but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything.
I think they did it against the Caps and Canes after Gonchar came back from the knee injury since he wasn’t at 100%. Can’t remember if it lasted through the Red Wings series.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I guess it’s worth it. Fake threepeats come around once in a generation.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
*Continuing to pay that much for a 15g, 40p guy. We're already two 1st rounders and two prospects into that endeavor these past couple of seasons. :laugh:

Zucker was substantially better than that at the time of the trade and it looks like the price the Penguins paid for Kapanen will be like half of what Tampa is paying for Hagel.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Zucker was substantially better than that at the time of the trade and it looks like the price the Penguins paid for Kapanen will be like half of what Tampa is paying for Hagel.
Eh, we got Zucker as a 20g, 40pt guy.

Point is, this team's been in the habit of tunnel-visioning "their guy" so hard that they pay 1st line prices for guys who are 2nd/3rd line tweeners, leaning toward 3rd liners. That was the previous guy, thankfully, so I'm not too worried about it happening again. Point still stands though. We've spent some big assets to land underwhelming players. I wouldn't be surprised if Hagel turns out to be a disappointment considering he's shooting at >20% this season. But like you said, a team like Tampa can afford to blindly throw a dart right now. They don't need Hagel to be a stud, just a good depth guy. Having a prime Kucherov, Point, Stamkos, Hedman and Vasi smooths over a lot of rough edges.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Eh, we got Zucker as a 20g, 40pt guy.

Point is, this team's been in the habit of tunnel-visioning "their guy" so hard that they pay 1st line prices for guys who are 2nd/3rd line tweeners, leaning toward 3rd liners. That was the previous guy, thankfully, so I'm not too worried about it happening again. Point still stands though. We've spent some big assets to land underwhelming players. I wouldn't be surprised if Hagel turns out to be a disappointment considering he's shooting at >20% this season. But like you said, a team like Tampa can afford to blindly throw a dart right now. They don't need Hagel to be a stud, just a good depth guy. Having a prime Kucherov, Point, Stamkos, Hedman and Vasi smooths over a lot of rough edges.

You mean Jim Rutherford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad