Proposal: Pittsburgh - Montreal

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The only way I'd be interested in Pacioretty is if Sheahan locks down the 3C spot, re-signs long term and then the Penguins trade Brassard for Pacioretty. So if that doesn't work, pass on Pacioretty. I don't think Pacioretty has much more value than Brassard to be honest.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
The only way I'd be interested in Pacioretty is if Sheahan locks down the 3C spot, re-signs long term and then the Penguins trade Brassard for Pacioretty. So if that doesn't work, pass on Pacioretty. I don't think Pacioretty has much more value than Brassard to be honest.

Brassard has what 1 50 point season and 1 60. I'll take patches any day.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Brassard has what 1 50 point season and 1 60. I'll take patches any day.

And Brassard was just traded for Cole, Gustavsson and a 1st, and Pacioretty doesn't have much more value than that. I don't really care if you'd take Pacioretty, because based on what Brassard was just traded for, Pacioretty doesn't have much more value.

Reactions: USMC607

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
And Brassard was just traded for Cole, Gustavsson and a 1st, and Pacioretty doesn't have much more value than that. I don't really care if you'd take Pacioretty, because based on what Brassard was just traded for, Pacioretty doesn't have much more value.

Brassard had 2 years of contract left and he was retained quite heavily no? So 2 years of Brassard retained by two mil got what patches is worth at the deadline. That sounds about right.

Dubcanesfan

Jan 6, 2016
If I were the gm of Pittsburgh i would wait on making major plays for players because this golden generation is on it's last legs for the penguins. There kinda like Chicago, good but getting old. If there having a great season by the time the TD comes around then sure go for another piece or 2

Reactions: USMC607

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Brassard had 2 years of contract left and he was retained quite heavily no? So 2 years of Brassard retained by two mil got what patches is worth at the deadline. That sounds about right.

He was traded at the deadline and he's a free agent after next year, so it's not really that huge of a difference between the contracts. We're not talking about a guy with 4 years of cost control vs a rental at the deadline, the comparison is someone traded in March vs someone traded in July. The salary retention probably didn't impact his value much, either. The salary retention was to make the cap work.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If I were the gm of Pittsburgh i would wait on making major plays for players because this golden generation is on it's last legs for the penguins. There kinda like Chicago, good but getting old. If there having a great season by the time the TD comes around then sure go for another piece or 2
We will help Hawks out. Kane at 50% retention for Brassard.

Jake-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kane
Rust-Sheahan-Kessel
Simon-Cullen-Sprong

Glad we can help you out Chicago. ;)

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Could have fooled me on that, We have Brass, Sheahan, Cullen. To go along with Sid and Geno. But if you're saying that with the assumption we dont really wanna give those guys away or that they want a young C back. I get that.

I've also seen alot of Habs fans on other threads say they dont need a C and that they are set, especially after the draft.
Are u an idiot they don't have center to offer Montreal.....Crosby and Malkin are not being traded wow what a bloody moron.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Are u an idiot they don't have center to offer Montreal.....Crosby and Malkin are not being traded wow what a bloody moron.

You must not have great reading comprehension.

I never said Crosby or Malkin would be traded.

I said we have Brass, Sheahan, and Cullen TO GO ALONG with Crosby and Geno. Understandably Sheahan and especially Cullen wouldnt move the needle.

But an extended Brass+ could be a start.

Unless like I AGAIN stated before that if they wanted young Cs than ya we dont have any.

Read things slowly next time, and maybe take some Valium too, you seem a little high strung fella.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Nope. I wouldn't do Sprong for Patches straight-up, let alone gut more futures to do it.

We spent a ton of futures last year on something we actually needed: a 3C. Spending a ton more on a left wing we wouldn't be able to retain would be dumb. You need quality young players on ELCs contributing if you want to win, and Sprong has realistic potential to score 20-25 goals this year if he were given the time and opportunities Patches would be.

Totally agree with this. Sprong should score at least 20G this year and should be a future perennial 30G guy in the league for the next several years, and is making on a cheap contract for 2 seasons. Importantly, he is the only other forward besides Kessel who can be a right-shot PP guy for us.

Sprong's addition to this team gives us a FORMIDABLE second PP unit that would include Guentzel and Brassard on the other side. With Schultz & Letang alternating between PP units #1 and #2, this gives us a threat we have not had a in a long time -- real 1A and 1B power play options. I don't think people on HF boards and non Pens fans or professional NHL scouts appreciate how much of a sniper sniper Sprong can be on the power play. People don't know he has a Stamkos-esque one-timer and an Alex Semin-type wrist shot. He's a one-shot scorer anytime he's on the ice and that is a rare quality.

I would absolutely love Patches on this team, and I would also love Skinner -- the other player whom we know is of interest to the Pens. But Sprong is a guy I don't give up in this deal, and would probably have to be built around trading Brassard to a 3rd team to get the requisite assets for such a trade; or they could keep Brassard and put him on LW if Sheahan can break out as a great 3rd line C -- which I believe (and likely Sheahan and the Pens may believe) he has the potential to do, hence his 1 year show-me contract.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Totally agree with this. Sprong should score at least 20G this year and should be a future perennial 30G guy in the league for the next several years, and is making on a cheap contract for 2 seasons. Importantly, he is the only other forward besides Kessel who can be a right-shot PP guy for us.

Sprong's addition to this team gives us a FORMIDABLE second PP unit that would include Guentzel and Brassard on the other side. With Schultz & Letang alternating between PP units #1 and #2, this gives us a threat we have not had a in a long time -- real 1A and 1B power play options. I don't think people on HF boards and non Pens fans or professional NHL scouts appreciate how much of a sniper sniper Sprong can be on the power play. People don't know he has a Stamkos-esque one-timer and an Alex Semin-type wrist shot. He's a one-shot scorer anytime he's on the ice and that is a rare quality.

I would absolutely love Patches on this team, and I would also love Skinner -- the other player whom we know is of interest to the Pens. But Sprong is a guy I don't give up in this deal, and would probably have to be built around trading Brassard to a 3rd team to get the requisite assets for such a trade; or they could keep Brassard and put him on LW if Sheahan can break out as a great 3rd line C -- which I believe (and likely Sheahan and the Pens may believe) he has the potential to do, hence his 1 year show-me contract.

Sprong's a kid who hasn't gotten nearly enough respect on this site given his production at every previous level. Led the entire CHL in goals-per-game as a 19 year old 2 years ago and then last year finished 2nd in the AHL in goals as a 20 year old rookie on a minor-league team with no noteworthy centers.

People will learn soon enough, just like they did with Jake.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Absolute garbage offer that the Penguins reject without a second thought.

We just got rid of our Byron...we don't want another one.

Patches is great and all but he's NOT fetching that. You've got to be kidding me.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Montreal is not trading Pacioretty unless they get a center back which Pens do not have or a D-man Maatta would have to be part of any deal,but there are better fits for a Pacioretty trade more than the Pens.

That is so not true. My bet is Habs look for either a young RW scorer or a young LHD + picks

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Brassard also had an extra year on his contract at 50%.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
I guess I should jump back in and add some more clarity to this offer. The fact that both teams seem to be against it thinking it's favoring the other team means the value must not be that far off.

1) What Byron lacks in size, he makes it up in speed over Hagelin and in today's NHL, if you can have a similar production from a guy that's 30% of the cost of the other, GMs would swap in a heartbeat.

2) The habs are no longer in a dire need to have the main piece coming back in a deal of Pacioretty be a C, look at the most recent draft, they drafted 8 or so Centermen. If you look at their depth chart, the RW is where they lack offensively.

3) People seem to glance over the fact that this move allows Pittsburgh to save 1.2M in cap space. If unused, that could be HUGE for the team at the next TDL in bringing in another piece for a deep push (a 4-5M type guy).

4) With Cullen back on the team, this puts the team in a position of trading either Brassard or Sheanan to upgrade another position as well.

5) For Montreal, they can always retain or package Hagelin with some of the other guys they'll offload at the TDL (Schlemko, Benn, etc.) to get 2019 2nd or something like that from another team.

Here's how I see the deal:

Hagelin, Sprong, late 2019 1st = Pacioretty - Whether we like it or not, that's roughly the price for a 30-40G guy. (1st, A prospect, Dump with trade value)

Byron + 1.2M in cap savings = Conditional 2nd - Only becomes a 1st if Pittsburgh extends Pacioretty or makes it to the last 4 teams in contention for the cup in 2019.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
What do you not understand? Brassard has only one year left on his contract, just like Pacioretty.
When he was traded he had two did he not? Because if Brassard were a rental when traded he'd be a ufa right now not still having one year on his contract. 1 playoff run in 2018 + 1 playoff run in 2019 = 2 playoff runs. Pretty simple math.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Im not convinced about Sprong being an A prospect and Im sure that Byron could bring back a 1st pick between 23rd thand 31st could. So for me, the proposal is realy underwhelming but I appreciate the interest

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Pure garbage for Montreal. Just the way Bergevin likes it.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
So. Our best prospect, a 1st, a 2nd .. for one year of Pax and one year of Byron .. who is a center .. which we dont need.

Sign me up. This is fantastic proposal that isnt awful and stupid in every regard.

Edit. I didnt even notice the conditions that make it a first. Even more solid.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Im a part time Habs fan.

Patches should be traded for picks. Not roster players.

Habs are 7-8 years away from competing for a cup. And that's only if they manage to land a 1st overall pick and draft an elite franchise centre to build around.

Maata won't be on the team when that happens. Stock up on picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad