Proposal: Pittsburgh - Montreal

VeeMerk

Jan 16, 2018
is pitty gonna wanna give up their top prospect, a 1st and a 2nd for a guy that NEVER shows up in the playoffs (19pts in 38 games)

He's also never been on a line with Malking or Crosby so that could very well change when the hand of god is feeding you passes

Reactions: bryan1966

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lets just pretend that Paul Byron is a useless throw in.

20G at 1.2 million per year. He's a better player than Hagelin at a third of the cost.

Agreed. In fact, there are teams that would be more interested in Byron vs Patch. I think Byron is worth two 2nd round picks (ish). It's hard to gauge his trade value and I think it increases a bit based on several teams that would be interested. At best, a late 1st round pick but that is a stretch and a team would have to be a bit aggressive over another team for that to happen.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
So. Our best prospect, a 1st, a 2nd .. for one year of Pax and one year of Byron .. who is a center .. which we dont need.

Sign me up. This is fantastic proposal that isnt awful and stupid in every regard.

Edit. I didnt even notice the conditions that make it a first. Even more solid.
Byron is not a center... He's a speedy scoring winner that can PK and would be a perfect fit on any contending team looking for depth scoring with his low salary. He has more value than you want to credit him for.

You also have to understand your prospect pool is not really deep. So we would have to get your best prospect, because the fact he's your best, doesn't mean he's the best we're being offered.

Add Pacioretty and Byron with some cap space for later moves at the TDL, those picks become so late.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
Absolute garbage offer that the Penguins reject without a second thought.

We just got rid of our Byron...we don't want another one.

Patches is great and all but he's NOT fetching that. You've got to be kidding me.
Byron is a fantastic little player and a fan favourite in mtl, don't know why getting rid of him is a good thing

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Take out Hagelin and Byron and any retention on the Habs part and we may talk.
Patches for Sprong, Daniel,2019 1st round pick and 202o 2nd round pick . Seems fair.

mccoyadam

Mar 4, 2013
PA
From what I understand GMJR is just keeping his hat in the ring and keeping up to date on Pac, doing his due diligence as GM. I dont see this happening at all, and I dont see Sprong going anywhere before the season starts. They gave him the NHL contract and I think they want to see him play before they decide if/and they move him

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Byron is not a center... He's a speedy scoring winner that can PK and would be a perfect fit on any contending team looking for depth scoring with his low salary. He has more value than you want to credit him for.

You also have to understand your prospect pool is not really deep. So we would have to get your best prospect, because the fact he's your best, doesn't mean he's the best we're being offered.

Add Pacioretty and Byron with some cap space for later moves at the TDL, those picks become so late.

*shrug* when I looked up byron on whatever website it was, said he was a center. I didnt watch enough habs games last season to notice either. It was too painful and ugly to watch.

I understand exactly what our prospect pool is like.

Nothing you said changed my opinion that this trade is awful for the pens.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
*shrug* when I looked up byron on whatever website it was, said he was a center. I didnt watch enough habs games last season to notice either. It was too painful and ugly to watch.

Good thing you're not the GM then. Basic stuff here.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

Just admit you never seen the Habs play even once last season.You don't even know what position the guy your talking about plays.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Deam78

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Not a chance. Pittsburgh isn't moving their top prospect, a 1st and a 2nd (which potentially becomes a 1st), for 1 year of Patches.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Who's offering a better prospect than Sprong for Patches?

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Montreal is not trading Pacioretty unless they get a center back which Pens do not have or a D-man Maatta would have to be part of any deal,but there are better fits for a Pacioretty trade more than the Pens.

If it were any other GM in this situation, sure. It's Bergevin though.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Can't say I watched the Habs a single time this past year or really have a clue who Byron is or what position he plays and I am comfortable in saying this deal makes zero sense for the Pens. Of course I am not a GM nor is anyone else commenting on this thread for those who need to point out the irrelevant.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
As a pens fan I rather have Hagelin than patches. Not because Hagelin is better (he's not) but because he fills a need and is a playoff warrior. Too bad he's slightly overpaid.

Pens need to stop wasting all their young assets on questionable short term rentals like Brassard and, in this thread, Patches.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad