Proposal: Pittsburgh - Montreal

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Lots of rumors going around lately regarding Pittsburgh wanting to make a run at Pacioretty. With them only having 2.8M left in cap space to sign Oleksiak and Jarry, I was wondering was sort of deal including a dump would make this work?

Pittsburgh:
Hagelin, Carl (4M)
Sprong, Daniel (750k)
2019 1st round pick
Conditional 2021 2nd round pick *

Montreal:
Pacioretty, Max (4.5M) - Retained 2M
Byron, Paul (1.16M)

Net cap effect: Increase in Pittsburg's cap space by 1.1M, decrease by the same amount for Mtl.

Byron is effectively Hagelin at a quarter of the cost in terms of production, and Pacioretty well, that's 30-40G.
Hagelin could be flipped for picks afterward by Mtl. (2nd/3rd picks at the TDL).

Best case scenario for Pitts: 60 G injection in the lineup with added speed. (Better odds at the cup.)
Worst case scenario for Pitts: Casperetti + 10G Byron.

Best case scenario for Mtl: That's 2 1st round picks and 2 2nd rd picks. (Sprong was a 2nd)
Worst case scenario for Mtl: That's a 1st, 2 2nd rd picks, and a plug in the lineup.

*Condition on the pick:
Becomes a 2020 1st round pick if either of the following options are met:
A) Pittsburg goes beyond the 2nd round of playoffs in 2019.
B) Pacioretty agrees to an extension with the club.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
is pitty gonna wanna give up their top prospect, a 1st and a 2nd for a guy that NEVER shows up in the playoffs (19pts in 38 games)

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
More wingers and a late 1st, not interested, would need to find a 3rd team with an earlier pick/LHD/C prospects

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I would like patches on Pitt but that’s way too much for a rental. Pitt has a really good chance of making past the 2nd round, so that’s Sprong+1st+1st?? Yeah hard pass. Not to mention Hagelin is a good player. A little overpaid but not a cap dump by any means.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Rather have Hags for this team. Not worth losing Hags and Sprong + a 1st for Pacioretty...Hags brings something we lack in Defensively responsible wingers who can score.

We don't need more scoring, need more players like Hagelin. Not Pacioretty.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Rather have Hags for this team. Not worth losing Hags and Sprong + a 1st for Pacioretty...Hags brings something we lack in Defensively responsible wingers who cannot score.

Fixed that for you. Not that I want any part of Pacioretty in a futures deal like the original proposal, but to suggest Hagelin can score is like saying Roseanne Barr has good self-control on social media.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Fixed that for you. Not that I want any part of Pacioretty in a futures deal like the original proposal, but to suggest Hagelin can score is like saying Roseanne Barr has good self-control on social media.

score points. Pretty consistent 30+ point winger who PKs and plays amazing D. His value off the score sheet is huge.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Montreal is not trading Pacioretty unless they get a center back which Pens do not have or a D-man Maatta would have to be part of any deal,but there are better fits for a Pacioretty trade more than the Pens.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I would like patches on Pitt but that’s way too much for a rental. Pitt has a really good chance of making past the 2nd round, so that’s Sprong+1st+1st?? Yeah hard pass. Not to mention Hagelin is a good player. A little overpaid but not a cap dump by any means.

I think the first condition is a bit to easy too. What about making the conference finals?
I mean 1st+1st+Sprong + dump vs byron @ 1.3m + Pac retained @ 2.5m really isn't that bad if you consider you would either have Pac long term or another cup run!

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Lots of rumors going around lately regarding Pittsburgh wanting to make a run at Pacioretty. With them only having 2.8M left in cap space to sign Oleksiak and Jarry, I was wondering was sort of deal including a dump would make this work?

Pittsburgh:
Hagelin, Carl (4M)
Sprong, Daniel (750k)
2019 1st round pick
Conditional 2021 2nd round pick *

Montreal:
Pacioretty, Max (4.5M) - Retained 2M
Byron, Paul (1.16M)

Net cap effect: Increase in Pittsburg's cap space by 1.1M, decrease by the same amount for Mtl.

Byron is effectively Hagelin at a quarter of the cost in terms of production, and Pacioretty well, that's 30-40G.
Hagelin could be flipped for picks afterward by Mtl. (2nd/3rd picks at the TDL).

Best case scenario for Pitts: 60 G injection in the lineup with added speed. (Better odds at the cup.)
Worst case scenario for Pitts: Casperetti + 10G Byron.

Best case scenario for Mtl: That's 2 1st round picks and 2 2nd rd picks. (Sprong was a 2nd)
Worst case scenario for Mtl: That's a 1st, 2 2nd rd picks, and a plug in the lineup.

*Condition on the pick:
Becomes a 2020 1st round pick if either of the following options are met:
A) Pittsburg goes beyond the 2nd round of playoffs in 2019.
B) Pacioretty agrees to an extension with the club.

Good proposal OP. I think the first condition is a little too easy to meet for pitts tho. Maybe conference finals instead?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
is pitty gonna wanna give up their top prospect, a 1st and a 2nd for a guy that NEVER shows up in the playoffs (19pts in 38 games)
19 points in 38 games you say? Jake has 42 points in 1 less game (37) and only 2 visits to the post season where Max has 4.

As for OP? pass. I'd much rather just go and get Byron though. Blazing fast speed and plays LW. Jake, Hagelin, Byron, Cullen would be our LW

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

It is basically Sprong +1st +1st + 2nd (Hags would be worth that at the deadline especially if Montereal retained)

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It is basically Sprong +1st +1st + 2nd (Hags would be worth that at the deadline especially if Montereal retained)
Its basically Sprong +1st+1st (which I agree is one 1st too much) minus the difference between Hagelin and Byrons value (byron has more value)

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
19 points in 38 games you say? Jake has 42 points in 1 less game (37) and only 2 visits to the post season where Max has 4.

As for OP? pass. I'd much rather just go and get Byron though. Blazing fast speed and plays LW. Jake, Hagelin, Byron, Cullen would be our LW
At least someone can recognize that Byron is an asset with value.

Reactions: CDN24

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I'll second the need for Hags on the Pens.

He is grossly underrated to the style the Pens play - and is bar none the best defensive forward on the team. Beyond that - the simple matter of fact with Hags is that he's NOT a cap dump, and he'll be worth his weight in gold at the TDL. In the summer a low scoring wing who makes 4M a year is not very appealing to many who are unfamiliar with his play... come the TDL? You're talking one of the fastest guys in the NHL, one of the best PK'ers in the league, and a tremendous defensive luxury to have going into the playoffs- who at that point [TDL] is only counting for something like 1.7 against the cap.

Problem with our fanbase is that we have dinosaurs with horrible memories who only ever want James "Bad Penalties" Neal back on the Pens (thanks for that game 6 cross check brother). If you don't score 25 goals a season you're just useless to some fans. At this point I just assume these folks don't watch the Pens but maybe 5 games a year and are utterly clueless to the value guys like Hags, Hornqvist, Rust, and Cole are/were to the Pens.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Rather have Hags for this team. Not worth losing Hags and Sprong + a 1st for Pacioretty...Hags brings something we lack in Defensively responsible wingers who can score.

Both Pacioretty and Byron are really good defensively and score a lot of goals. Both play the PK in mtl too... hum hum.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Montreal is not trading Pacioretty unless they get a center back which Pens do not have or a D-man Maatta would have to be part of any deal,but there are better fits for a Pacioretty trade more than the Pens.

Could have fooled me on that, We have Brass, Sheahan, Cullen. To go along with Sid and Geno. But if you're saying that with the assumption we dont really wanna give those guys away or that they want a young C back. I get that.

I've also seen alot of Habs fans on other threads say they dont need a C and that they are set, especially after the draft.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The Pens just got rid of their Byron in Sheary, why would they target another at that cost?

Just do a pure rental of Max for Sprong +2019 1st.

Done. And I don't even really want Max at this point. It's a shake up they really don't need. Scoring goals is not an issue. Guys like Sheary and Byron getting knocked around at 5' nothing was an issue. We are released from watching that affect them anymore.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Nope. I wouldn't do Sprong for Patches straight-up, let alone gut more futures to do it.

We spent a ton of futures last year on something we actually needed: a 3C. Spending a ton more on a left wing we wouldn't be able to retain would be dumb. You need quality young players on ELCs contributing if you want to win, and Sprong has realistic potential to score 20-25 goals this year if he were given the time and opportunities Patches would be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad