Pittsburgh Media Thread: Doctor Rossi will see you now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Ok, I will say I understand where he's coming from. We have a legitimate shot at winning it all and have a proven experienced goalie vs. a 21 year old who we really do not know can sustain this play and could burn out. But what has Fleury accomplished in the playoffs recently? Didn't people want to run him out of town a few years ago during the playoffs?

He did acknowledge it's hard to pull Murray - I just wouldn't do it, he's been way too hot overall. But if he has one bad game - how short is the leash? Fleury is his buddy too, of course. And he cited the first goal last night as evidence against Murray... Come on.

Thanks for the hot takes Rob.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Look i am a fluery fan, but when they pulled wregget for barasso they should have learned a lesson the franchise better not have forgotten... Maf will be needed eventually. Dont jack up murrays momentum just yet

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Mark Madden makes sports talk entertaining. Regardless of how you interpret his radio personality, he's talented at what he does and he's an OG, so you know he's getting paid. The guy could literally go to any market in the country, do his thing, and sky rocket to the top of the ratings.

I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing he's getting paid what the top guys in NY, and Boston are getting. The X and whoever he signs on with knowing that he could get that money easily if he skipped town.

Let's not forget, The X literally has nothing going for it outside of Madden and his producer. X music sucks. This is coming from the generation who grew up with that genre of music. Anything half decent that came out of the 90's is already being played on DVE along with most of the classics from elder year.

Nobody wants to hear Blink 182 anymore. That genre of music blows, it was cool when people were 14. Despite all of our rages we aren't rats in cages anymore. Anybody over the age of 25 has already moved on to DVE, people under the age of 25 are all on Molly and listening to Fetty wap.

I think the X is thinking they are going to be the next generations DVE. Newsflash, we all hate that music now. There's no Van Halen, Led Zep, GNR, Skynard etc with timeless songs. There's Green Day and their 3 chords.

Unfortunately for us millennials, Limp Bizkit was pretty much our claim to fame. Anyway, The X music selection is poop, they would be stupid not to put all of there eggs in Madden's basket.

Newsflash, no one wants to hear ANY of those songs anymore. DVE or the X. No song is timeless after the millionth time. I do think the X is particularly mind boggling as they continue to play songs that no one REALLY liked the first time around.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Newsflash, no one wants to hear ANY of those songs anymore. DVE or the X. No song is timeless after the millionth time. I do think the X is particularly mind boggling as they continue to play songs that no one REALLY liked the first time around.

Next up, that song that caught on for a week back in 09. From Three Days Grace, here's Riot!!! Tune back in in 4 hours when we start our rotation over again, but with a different DJ, but he'll still sound like someone you would want to hit over the head with a 2x4!!

Did you miss that Nivana/Foo Fighters/RHCP/STP/Green Day song we just played? HAVE NO FEAR!!! We'll be playing another one in 20 minutes!

Remember that Weezer song from that movie that was filmed in Pittsburgh!?!?! Of course you do! But here it is again so it stays fresh!

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Stone Temple Pilots could be used as a torture device

The X used to have a DJ with a really weird delivery. I cannot remember his name though.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Next up, that song that caught on for a week back in 09. From Three Days Grace, here's Riot!!! Tune back in in 4 hours when we start our rotation over again, but with a different DJ, but he'll still sound like someone you would want to hit over the head with a 2x4!!

Did you miss that Nivana/Foo Fighters/RHCP/STP/Green Day song we just played? HAVE NO FEAR!!! We'll be playing another one in 20 minutes!

Remember that Weezer song from that movie that was filmed in Pittsburgh!?!?! Of course you do! But here it is again so it stays fresh!

Stone Temple Pilots could be used as a torture device

The X used to have a DJ with a really weird delivery. I cannot remember his name though.

I'm thinking Stabbing Westward. That "Closing Time" song. Everlast. My god...

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I'm thinking Stabbing Westward. That "Closing Time" song. Everlast. My god...

Oh lord... save yourself. You don't know what it's like to go down that road. I hope you have found a friend to help you forget these songs.

Full Disclosure- I do own the Semi Sonic album. It was one of those Columbia House deals (20 CDs for $.01 each or whatever they were) and I needed 2 more to fill it out, so I grabbed that and Deep Blue Something.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
STP is bad? Not sure about that. Stabbing Westward does suck, but they had one good song on the underrated soundtrack of Spawn the movie.

Anyways yeah the X playlist does blow. They ignore a lot of what they could play in favor of the same old, and the new stuff they play mostly sucks IMO.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Oh lord... save yourself. You don't know what it's like to go down that road. I hope you have found a friend to help you forget these songs.

Full Disclosure- I do own the Semi Sonic album. It was one of those Columbia House deals (20 CDs for $.01 each or whatever they were) and I needed 2 more to fill it out, so I grabbed that and Deep Blue Something.

Haha. "Closing Time" is a great jukebox warfare song. Put $10 and put that sucker on repeat. :naughty:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Do they still play that one song from the Clarks once an hour?

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I have Closing Time in my head now, and it's my own damn fault. There goes my weekend...

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Especially at 6 p.m. on a Thursday. :naughty:

Wait a minute....

Mother-of-God.png

*Looks at calendar*

*Looks at clock and does some math*

You dirty son of a ***** :handclap:

Last edited:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
He was saying it yesterday too. He's gone completely insane and he doesn't seem to acknowledge that his opinion runs counter to basically everyone else in the hockey world currently and historically.

He did the same thing with Vokoun. Using terms like "journeyman backup his whole career" to describe him, either oblivious to or willfully ignoring that Vokoun was both better compensated and in receipt of more Vezina votes over his shared career with MAF.

Flower's been very important to us for the last two seasons, but if he put together a 7 game stretch with the sort of dominance Murray has in the playoffs ever, I don't remember it.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He did the same thing with Vokoun. Using terms like "journeyman backup his whole career" to describe him, either oblivious to or willfully ignoring that Vokoun was both better compensated and in receipt of more Vezina votes over his shared career with MAF.

Flower's been very important to us for the last two seasons, but if he put together a 7 game stretch with the sort of dominance Murray has in the playoffs ever, I don't remember it.

Maybe 2008?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Ok, I will say I understand where he's coming from. We have a legitimate shot at winning it all and have a proven experienced goalie vs. a 21 year old who we really do not know can sustain this play and could burn out. But what has Fleury accomplished in the playoffs recently? Didn't people want to run him out of town a few years ago during the playoffs?

He did acknowledge it's hard to pull Murray - I just wouldn't do it, he's been way too hot overall. But if he has one bad game - how short is the leash? Fleury is his buddy too, of course. And he cited the first goal last night as evidence against Murray... Come on.

Hey, Rob, I'll give you a hot take. Gratis.

The 2016 Penguins are cobbled together from rejects from the discard pile who refused to go back in the deck. It's practically an entire team created from players who were told "you're not (something) enough; give it up" who internalized that and used it as fuel.

I don't mean in the sense that it's long odds for any kid to make the NHL and that everyone's upfront about that; I mean that most of the team has specific perceived defects that would have people telling them they'd never make it every step of the way in a manner that a James Neal (6'2 Toronto product with a big shot) or a Brandon Sutter (a 6'3 Sutter) or even a Tom Wilson (6'4 Torontoan who had been dominant since midgets) would not have had.

This applies to almost everyone.

Rust, Sheary and Kunitz are all "too small" for their skillset at the time they were draft eligible...only Rust was drafted...and none of them accepted this opinion. They all had to throw a rock at the radar before it pinged them.

Cullen, a smallish (for 1998) hockey sense guy drafted into a league that would become strictly about size by the time he debuted (he crumpled up that memo) and who everyone had written off as an old man years ago (crumpled up that one too).

Hagelin, Lovejoy, Bonino and Hornqvist were all either not drafted or barely drafted due to lack of skill or inability to skate well enough. Their battle level, to a man, has made whatever the respective defects are irrelevant.

Fehr was nearly run out of the league by the Jets for being too pacifist and had to completely reinvent himself. Kuhnhackl clawed his way up from the ECHL. Schultz was audibly scapegoated for 10 years of losing, only 4 of which he was actually present for. Kessel knew he would make the NHL, but has spent his whole career hearing that he's a fat, poisonous loser.

But nobody exemplifies this phenomenon better than Trevor Daley, who I'm sure in 2002, had spent years being told he was too small to be an NHLer, let alone a D, and someone, somewhere along the line (even if it was an uncle or another 14 year old kid) surely also told him he was too black and wondered why he was even playing hockey in the first place. Well, it's 14 years later and that kid who battled through the perception that there's no such thing as a 5'8, black defenseman in the NHL just played half an hour of the best hockey in his life against the best team in the league at age 34.

Rutherford (and later Sullivan) has been pushing hot shot silver spooners (Sutter, Neal, Perron, Bennett) aside for Bad News Bears types (Bonino, Hornqvist, Hagelin, Sheary) who just...want it more than the first group...and its paid off in a big, big way.

Seems to me there's a column in here somewhere.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Hey, Rob, I'll give you a hot take. Gratis.

The 2016 Penguins are cobbled together from rejects from the discard pile who refused to go back in the deck. It's practically an entire team created from players who were told "you're not (something) enough; give it up" who internalized that and used it as fuel.

I don't mean in the sense that it's long odds for any kid to make the NHL and that everyone's upfront about that; I mean that most of the team has specific perceived defects that would have people telling them they'd never make it every step of the way in a manner that a James Neal (6'2 Toronto product with a big shot) or a Brandon Sutter (a 6'3 Sutter) or even a Tom Wilson (6'4 Torontoan who had been dominant since midgets) would not have had.

This applies to almost everyone.

Rust, Sheary and Kunitz are all "too small" for their skillset at the time they were draft eligible...only Rust was drafted...and none of them accepted this opinion. They all had to throw a rock at the radar before it pinged them.

Cullen, a smallish (for 1998) hockey sense guy drafted into a league that would become strictly about size by the time he debuted (he crumpled up that memo) and who everyone had written off as an old man years ago (crumpled up that one too).

Hagelin, Lovejoy, Bonino and Hornqvist were all either not drafted or barely drafted due to lack of skill or inability to skate well enough. Their battle level, to a man, has made whatever the respective defects are irrelevant.

Fehr was nearly run out of the league by the Jets for being too pacifist and had to completely reinvent himself. Kuhnhackl clawed his way up from the ECHL. Schultz was audibly scapegoated for 10 years of losing, only 4 of which he was actually present for. Kessel knew he would make the NHL, but has spent his whole career hearing that he's a fat, poisonous loser.

But nobody exemplifies this phenomenon better than Trevor Daley, who I'm sure in 2002, had spent years being told he was too small to be an NHLer, let alone a D, and someone, somewhere along the line (even if it was an uncle or another 14 year old kid) surely also told him he was too black and wondered why he was even playing hockey in the first place. Well, it's 14 years later and that kid who battled through the perception that there's no such thing as a 5'8, black defenseman in the NHL just played half an hour of the best hockey in his life against the best team in the league at age 34.

Rutherford (and later Sullivan) has been pushing hot shot silver spooners (Sutter, Neal, Perron, Bennett) aside for Bad News Bears types (Bonino, Hornqvist, Hagelin, Sheary) who just...want it more than the first group...and its paid off in a big, big way.

Seems to me there's a column in here somewhere.

:handclap:

Hey, you just wrote half of his next article for him. That should be worth something. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad