Dreger: Pittsburgh in on Brassard

PittsburghPens8771

Oct 1, 2017
The only issue I see with this is that it doesn't work with the cap, and to make it work with the cap, you'd have to trade Sheary. Suddenly, you're down 2 skilled wingers in Sheary and Sprong, which isn't an ideal situation to be in. That's the only reason I'm opposed to giving up Sprong for Brassard, to afford Sprong, you also have to move Sheary.

You would assume Sens would retain (if that's true). Sens fans (and everyone else) said they wouldn't retain but they did with Phaneuf. Sens will retain if they need to.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think Brassard s a no brainer in theory. But the Sens will have a number of teams in the hunt. I suspect someone will offer an over payment ala Columbus for example. Pens can win a cup with a decent depth center who can play D and chip in with an occasional goal. Habs have a center who fits that description. Me I am not all in to that degree but GMJR may be.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You would assume Sens would retain (if that's true). Sens fans (and everyone else) said they wouldn't retain but they did with Phaneuf. Sens will retain if they need to.

I don't see the Senators retaining on Brassard, I don't think they'd use a retention spot on Brassard when they could use it on someone else.

One positive about the Senators retaining on Brassard is that they're retaining less money than the cap hit. Retaining $1.5 million on his cap hit is only actually $1 million.

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
I find it interesting that so many sources are saying Pittsburgh is going after Brassard, when Sheahan has been killing it as the 3C this year (pace of 16 goals and 44 points per 82 games in his last 41 games).
Because people aren't confident that the hot Sheahan from the last 3 months is what we'll get in the playoffs since it was preceded by 2 years of terrible play.

Reactions: bert

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The only issue I see with this is that it doesn't work with the cap, and to make it work with the cap, you'd have to trade Sheary. Suddenly, you're down 2 skilled wingers in Sheary and Sprong, which isn't an ideal situation to be in. That's the only reason I'm opposed to giving up Sprong for Brassard, to afford Sprong, you also have to move Sheary.

Pittsburgh's projected deadline cap space measured in full cap hits: 1,773,998
Matt Hunwick's Cap Hit: 2,250,000
Total Cap Space Dumped=4023998

Derick Brassard's Cap Hit: 5,000,000

Difference In Cap=976002

The Penguins need to find a way to dump about 1M in cap space, or the Senators need to retain about 1M on Brassard. That's my conclusion if I am following the money right.

Retaining 1M of cap aka 20 percent on Brassard is only 700k in real cash next season.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
1st + Sheary + Desmith makes sense to me. But I'm a Penguins fan so I might be biased.

Alternatively 2nd + Sheary + Gustavsson. Sheary's got to be a part of it though.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
They retained on Phaneuf cause it got the deal done while still saving millions.

A purely futures deal for Brassard would set up a similar scenario. The Sens could retain 20% (around a million between this year and next) and still save about 3.5M in the process.

I'm just not sure if Phaneuf was unique. You had to retain to move him. You don't have to do it for Brassard IMHO.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
I hope they don't trade Sprong but I have a feeling JR is going to

Why? Many Pittsburgh fans like yourself are grossly overrating Daniel Sprong. His impact in this organization won't be anything, but a solid AHL player. If someone wants to give us a good 3C that is not a rental and the ask involves him, as long as the other assets aren't ludicrous, you deal him.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
they probably have the pieces to get him but making it work cap wise would be a bitch

that'd be a huge get for them though. he's a proven playoff performer.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
1st + Sheary + Desmith makes sense to me. But I'm a Penguins fan so I might be biased.

Alternatively 2nd + Sheary + Gustavsson. Sheary's got to be a part of it though.

Don’t think Ottawa has much use for Sheary, but if we can flip him that would be fine. Maybe you guys can trade him in a separate move?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
A lot of smoke on this one.. If the Pens do get Brassard... they would have excellent C depth and would have to be cup favorites. I think he's be a tremendous fit there. Its just a matter of Pens clearing some cap space in the deal or outside the deal. I would definitely want at least a 1st and a high end prospect/young player coming back. A package like a 1st + Rust + Bellerive would be awesome if the Pens can move Hunwick or Cole elsewhere.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
This would be a dream acquisition but with the salary hang I think it would be difficult to pull off.

I hope they don't trade Sprong but I have a feeling JR is going to
Ditto. I get why Rutherford would swing for the fences with this team right now but I would be loath to give up on Sprong already. Especially if that deal also includes the Pens first.

Brassard for Sheary+one of JS Dea or Zach Ashton-Reese+1st?

I’d be all over that. But not Aston Reese. A signed, young player with a lower prospect (though I like Dea) and a pick. Sheary has become a bit lost in the shuffle of Rust, Hagelin and Guentzel but he’s still talented and would probably thrive in Ottawa.

Last edited:

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
To Dreger, any team inquiring about availability and possible price is “In on that player”
Pittsburgh likely just checking possible options league wide before the TDL

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
A lot of smoke on this one.. If the Pens do get Brassard... they would have excellent C depth and would have to be cup favorites. I think he's be a tremendous fit there. Its just a matter of Pens clearing some cap space in the deal or outside the deal. I would definitely want at least a 1st and a high end prospect/young player coming back. A package like a 1st + Rust + Bellerive would be awesome if the Pens can move Hunwick or Cole elsewhere.

Zero chance for Rust. He’s way too valuable to the Pens and their identity.

Reactions: Freedom and domaug

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think the package is subject to the Pens interest in Brassard being extended to compliment Sid and Geno. GMJR is all in but I also think he is looking for a player that can be here more than next year. Sheary has to be included as Pens can afford his being moved. Not sure GMJR is moving Hunwick as he values goal tending and defensive depth. Has to be some verbal for now and terms agreed on if the Pens give up a first and Sprong and Sheary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad