Confirmed with Link: Pittsburgh claims Arcobello off Waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguins2946*

WTF? Arcobello on the third line? Ahead of Downie or Comeau and Spaling? Come on.

People ***** and complain when I suggest to sell Paul Martin for a draft pick, because supposedly you can't do that when you're in 'win-now mode', but people want a waiver claim playing above line 4???

We just got smaller with this move, no matter who he replaces. I view that as a loss and a negative.

The underlined is absolutely stupid and makes no sense. There's a difference between trading our top pair D for draft picks and trying a young playmaking winger on Sutter's line. For the bolded, Sutter needs a playmaker to be at his best, and Arcobello is probably the best playmaker that fits into that bottom-6. He's also gritty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Watching quite a few Oilers games I can say Leon nailed it. He's a decent enough player who was used way over his limitations in that line-up because of Edmonton's lack of centers. As a fourth/third liner he's pretty decent. Certainly an upgrade on two of our current fourth liners.

But he's not a talentless meathead, so I'm sure some people will be disappointed that the Penguins aren't the only team in the league that still thinks it's 1993.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

I'd guess the easy move right now is to take Rust out of the lineup. Then when/if all are healthy...

Kunitz-Crosby-Perron
Comeau-Malkin-Hornqvist
Bennett-Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Goc-Arcobello
Adams/Sill

Rotate the top-9 wingers to your liking.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
WTF? Arcobello on the third line? Ahead of Downie or Comeau and Spaling? Come on.

People b!tch and complain when I suggest to sell Paul Martin for a draft pick, because supposedly you can't do that when you're in 'win-now mode', but people want a waiver claim playing above line 4???

We just got smaller with this move, no matter who he replaces. I view that as a loss and a negative.

In a perfect world, the league would be won by the team with the most skill. That is not the NHL. The Playoffs are a grind where physicality becomes the norm. The Pens are super soft and they are intent on getting softer.

I would feel bad for Sid, but he isn't making his thoughts known about getting people in here that can provide some grit. You reap what you sow SID, don't pout when you are getting pounded once again come spring. You are as much to blame as the Pens FO.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I think people are reading too much into this. They have players who can be sent down and players who aren't good enough to be on a contending team. This is a free acquisition, why not give him a shot. Don't think it is anything more than that.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Watching quite a few Oilers games I can say Leon nailed it. He's a decent enough player who was used way over his limitations in that line-up because of Edmonton's lack of centers. As a fourth/third liner he's pretty decent. Certainly an upgrade on two of our current fourth liners.

But he's not a talentless meathead, so I'm sure some people will be disappointed that the Penguins aren't the only team in the league that still thinks it's 1993.

how is his speed? I 'm assuming that he can fly.....

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'd guess the easy move right now is to take Rust out of the lineup. Then when/if all are healthy...

Kunitz-Crosby-Perron
Comeau-Malkin-Hornqvist
Bennett-Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Goc-Arcobello
Adams/Sill

Rotate the top-9 wingers to your liking.

This is what i see as a possiblilty as well.

In the short term, this either means Rust goes back to Wilkes to develop OR Adams goes in the dog house.

Long term, they get healthy and can waive Sill or Arcobello.

PeterTZ

Fr Crosby's hm town
Dec 10, 2014
Edmonton
You have to take all stats for an Ex oiler with a grain of salt because if there ever was "Hockey PTSD", the Oilers are poster boys for it after 9 years of this S Show. Perron is a clear example of that. His production has vastly improved in a few games over the first half of the season with the Oil.

Acro has very good hands, plays a bit bigger than his small size. Doesn't mind the corners although not a strength but does have some grit and will hit. Good skater but not blazing fast. Pretty decent playmaker. Good on face-offs and with mentors you guys have, he should improve if given the opportunity. Can play RW as well so I would assume that's going to be his role here and gives you a spare C if you need him.

Not an earth shattering move but I think helps the Pens vs not. He's cheap at $600K as well so shouldn't hurt and who knows, he's been with the Oil and they can't develop talent, so you might have something that nobody knew was a good role player.

Last edited:

penguins2946*

I like how people are calling Arcobello soft while ignoring the fact that he would be one of our leading hitters at F on our team.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013

People ***** and complain when I suggest to sell Paul Martin for a draft pick, because supposedly you can't do that when you're in 'win-now mode', but people want a waiver claim playing above line 4???

He's scored two times the number of goals that Sill, Adams, Goc, and Ebbett have combined, and he has more points than all those four players combined, and he's a decent possession guy.

He's also one of the few players that is in top 50% goals per game (0.09 GPG), top 25% hits per game (1.56 HpG), and top 50% hits differential per game (0.14 HdpG) for 5v5 play during 2010-11 to 2014-15 season.

I don't care that he's small. He's a better hockey player than Sill, Adams, Ebbett, and Rust.

He's cheap, and he's free. He scores goals and hits people

Find me someone bigger that has his stat line (goals + hits), his shot differential stats, his contract, and is on waivers, and I will be happy when the Pens get him. But that is unlikely to happen.

They can always put him back on waivers if it doesn't work out.

Kunitz-Crosby-Perron
Comeau-Malkin-Hornqvist
Downie-Sutter-Bennett
Spaling-Goc-Arcobello

or

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz/Comeau-Malkin-Bennett
Kunitz/Spaling-Sutter-Downie
Spaling/Comeau-Goc-Arcobello

are good rosters

Last edited by a moderator:

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I think people are reading too much into this. They have players who can be sent down and players who aren't good enough to be on a contending team. This is a free acquisition, why not give him a shot. Don't think it is anything more than that.

Exactly, and with our luck, the more depth the better

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
I like how people are calling Arcobello soft while ignoring the fact that he would be one of our leading hitters at F on our team.

There were a lot of people who didn't think Perron was as gritty as he is. Unless you watch a specific player or team, a lot of people just assume or hear a guy is soft and repeat it

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

One of Sill's hits is worth how many of Arcobello's? He's a gnat. He's Brian Gibbons. Chris Conner.

He's exactly the type of player we used to acquire because Dan Bylsma loves these types.

Pgh is absolutely right. We needed more small players right now like we needed a Ryan Suter elbow to the head.

Small. Right-handed center.

This makes zero sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad