Confirmed with Link: Pittsburgh claims Arcobello off Waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
probably means rust is going down? since he's the only forward that can be sent down without clearing waivers...

any possibility this rolled into something bigger going on?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
probably means rust is going down? since he's the only forward that can be sent down without clearing waivers...

any possibility this rolled into something bigger going on?

That could be it as well.
Hard to say whats going on.
Willing to give him a chance cuz were still icing Sill and Adams right now.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
As an Oiler fan he could actually be a good addition to your club. He had way to much responsibility in Edmonton playing as the 2C. He was decent taking face offs and has good play making skills. Even though he hadn't really shown both this year, it's there.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
My only guess is downie is out longer than we expect?

I'd imagine they had to put in a claim before the Downie injury happened and Downie seems fine anyway.

Odd move. I guess they want to add a skill guy to the bottom 6. Hopefully it means they'll finally have the stones to bench Adams or Sill but my guess is someone like Rust gets the shaft.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Contract status may also be a key factor. Arcobello is signed for $600,000 through this season and turns RFA on July 1. Sill and Ebbett are the only forwards on the NHL roster with a lower cap hit.

penguins2946*

My guess is that (hopefully) they want to keep Bennett up with Malkin, but they still wanted to bring in a playmaking winger for Sutter. This solves that. Acrobello has scored 31 points in 82 games in his career, so he's obviously not offensively challenged. He plays gritty as well, with 135 hits in those 82 games recorded. The only knock on him that I can see is he's small as hell. That would give us a final lineup of:

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz/Comeau-Malkin-Bennett
Kunitz/Downie-Sutter-Arcobello
Spaling-Goc-Comeau/Downie

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009
I'd imagine they had to put in a claim before the Downie injury happened and Downie seems fine anyway.

Odd move. I guess they want to add a skill guy to the bottom 6. Hopefully it means they'll finally have the stones to bench Adams or Sill but my guess is someone like Rust gets the shaft.

Rust wasn't performing, he should go back down. He is a decent prospect so let him get more time down there. I could see them waiting til BC or Ph cam back first tho.

Now Sutter can center Geno and BB:sarcasm:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I have watched some Edm games and really that was my only take away. That he's not a 2C obviously and he's really a small dude.

Maybe they just see him as an upgrade over Rust for right now. Send Rust back down to develop. Plug in Arco until were healthy and pick a player to waive (Arco or Sill) OR trade Adams.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
My guess is that (hopefully) they want to keep Bennett up with Malkin, but they still wanted to bring in a playmaking winger for Sutter. This solves that. Acrobello has scored 31 points in 82 games in his career, so he's obviously not offensively challenged. He plays gritty as well, with 135 hits in those 82 games recorded. The only knock on him that I can see is he's small as hell. That would give us a final lineup of:

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz/Comeau-Malkin-Bennett
Kunitz/Downie-Sutter-Arcobello
Spaling-Goc-Comeau/Downie

WTF? Arcobello on the third line? Ahead of Downie or Comeau and Spaling? Come on.

People ***** and complain when I suggest to sell Paul Martin for a draft pick, because supposedly you can't do that when you're in 'win-now mode', but people want a waiver claim playing above line 4???

We just got smaller with this move, no matter who he replaces. I view that as a loss and a negative.

Last edited by a moderator:

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
This team lacks depth at forward, so I don´t have a problem with this. A little more size would not be bad thing though...he is just another small guy with some skill.

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
Edmonton fan here. I liked Arcobello with the Oilers, just not the position he was forced to play. He should be suited for a 3rd line skill role or a role with high end players instead of trying to have him carry a line (he was the 2nd line center for quite a long time). He played very well with Hall so he might work with Crosby/Malkin when injuries occur.

He's pretty gritty, hit wise, and is alright at faceoffs for a 5'8 player.

He should do quite well (for a waiver pickup) with the Pens (probably as a 13th forward) as his game/size is more suited for the East.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad