Proposal: Pit - Wpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
So Guentzel is definitely the better player. But contract wise idk why Jets do this unless Ehlers made it clear he won’t re-sign then why not trade him for Guentzel for a playoff push

Yes Ehlers has the extra year but if you hold on to him just to trade him at the deadline next year you get a late 1st for him why not get Guentzel and try for a cup this year

• Haha
Reactions: hn777

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Jets do alright re signing players. I’m sure they will take their chances.
With the way some posters talk on this board, you would think it was not only against league rules to resign a UFA that you traded for but against state, providence, and federal law with life imprisonment penalties.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Per 60s aren’t what I’d call raw metrics. You are extrapolating as if Ehlers would produce when the fact is even this year Guentzel has 15 more points in less games.
If you want to measure productivity, 5v5 points per 60 is what matters. Bringing varying usages and PP points into the mix only hurts one's credibility.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
With the way some posters talk on this board, you would think it was not only against league rules to resign a UFA that you traded for but against state, providence, and federal law with life imprisonment penalties.
I think the Jets have a much harder time signing Free Agents. In this case I think the Jets need more than a couple months to feed players enough Koolaid. But you never know. I certainly would expect that Ehlers would be far easier to re sign. His Stockholm syndrome is far stronger than a guy who is only with the team for a short time.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think the Jets have a much harder time signing Free Agents. In this case I think the Jets need more than a couple months to feed players enough Koolaid. But you never know. I certainly would expect that Ehlers would be far easier to re sign. His Stockholm syndrome is far stronger than a guy who is only with the team for a short time.

Once again the precedent of why Jake signs with Winnipeg is the proximity to his home and family and the fact the Wild likely can’t take him on.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Once again the precedent of why Jake signs with Winnipeg is the proximity to his home and family and the fact the Wild likely can’t take him on.
If that's the premise of your deal, then the Jets can just call Pittsburgh's bluff and give them a take it or leave it lowball offer.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If that's the premise of your deal, then the Jets can just call Pittsburgh's bluff and give them a take it or leave it lowball offer.

Just sign him for free during the offseason if that's the case, if he wants to play for the Jets due to family reasons then cool. Why would the Jets offer anything if thats the premise.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Just sign him for free during the offseason if that's the case, if he wants to play for the Jets due to family reasons then cool. Why would the Jets offer anything if thats the premise.
Exactly. I was just making the concession that, if for some reason, the Jets just had to have him now, they could offer a nominal price for the next few months. But waiting makes the most sense.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Exactly. I was just making the concession that, if for some reason, the Jets just had to have him now, they could offer a nominal price for the next few months. But waiting makes the most sense.

I'm not suggesting that he does or doesn't want to sign with the Jets to be clear, but if Chevy believed or knew that he did, he sure wouldn't give the Pens anything for him barring pennies on the dollar now. GM's don't do each other favors or help other teams get better.

Jake's value is a UFA today until he's not a UFA, once he has a contract then his value can be determined with a contract, depending on the cap hit and term of the contract.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Right, did you read my next post? His value is a UFA rental at this stage, nothing more. Rental's don't return a Ehlers+ in any world.

Players like Guentzel also aren't moved typically "in any world".

I think the other thing is this idea that Ehlers is some unicorn. He's a 50-65 pt player who has one year left, is 28, and has an injury history.

You're moving a player with an extra year for an impact top line player that produces unlike anyone on the Jets.

Penguins are taking a significant risk too in this trade.

• Haha

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I'm not suggesting that he does or doesn't want to sign with the Jets to be clear, but if Chevy believed or knew that he did, he sure wouldn't give the Pens anything for him barring pennies on the dollar now. GM's don't do each other favors or help other teams get better.

Jake's value is a UFA today until he's not a UFA, once he has a contract then his value can be determined with a contract, depending on the cap hit and term of the contract.
Agreed. It's a faulty premise to start with.

The OP is using the premise to try and justify an outrageous return, but that same premise nullifies the reason for Winnipeg paying that return.

As you said, if Chevy knows Guentzel wants to sign in Winnipeg, his incentive to drastically overpay or even offer anything of value at all is dramatically reduced.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
i think you need to look up the word precedent.

has Jake say anything about wanting to go home? Where is home? I just see he’s from Nebraska and played College hockey there.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

I think the other thing is this idea that Ehlers is some unicorn. He's a 50-65 pt player who has one year left, is 28, and has an injury history.

You're moving a player with an extra year for an impact top line player that produces unlike anyone on the Jets.

I never buy or sell an idea in these mainboards chats bc its pointless, I would say you might like that return on a UFA Jake, but I doubt the Jets give that return. If Ehlers was a UFA also, I think your point would be much more valid.

Jake is a UFA until he's not a UFA, could that happen before the TDL with the Jets? Maybe. Could the Jets trade for him as a pure UFA, maybe. The Jets don't want to add Jake and lose Ehlers.......they would want to add Jake without losing roster top 6 forward. If the Jets traded for Jake, it would be for futures return largely.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Players like Guentzel are moved every year as rentals.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
NO to this as Pens need to get a futures package. Pens need to begin the transition to a younger roster and talent flow. the part is over in that this year and next year Dubas who was hired to keep things going can't. He needs to finally address the system and lack of talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad