Proposal: PIT - UFAs (Zucker, Dumoulin, Blueger) (LAK, WPG, OTT)

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Curious what teams would give up for the above players if PIT is willing to take back salary or retain.

Would retain 50% on Zucker for a 1st rounder.

Would take back a meh LD contract with lower cap and retain 50% on Dumo and a pick.

Would trade Blueger for very low return or a similar 4C with term and a pick. Maybe to Ottawa so they can get out of the Joseph contract and Joseph can play with his brother.

Logan Stanley + 3rd for Brian Dumoulin at 50% to the Jets.

Blueger for Mathieu Joseph and a 5th.

Zucker at 50% to LAK for 2023 or 2024 1st (who cares) and Grundstrom
As a King fan I would have no interest in Zucker we have lots of depth up front. There is zero chance I would give a 1 st he is not worth that.

Reactions: YP44 and kinghock

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
who has $2.6M in cap space and wants to use it on him?

look at the cap space situation on most teams. If thry are not over and using LTIR, they are at $2M or less.
the teams with the space are not teams buying.

A goalie prospect…sure. An elite goalie prospect cost more than a pick that could be in the mid 20s.
No it would have to be elite imo because this is a deep draft and it would have to be a for sure starter coming back or i wouldn't trade it The kings always seem to find a decent starter when the need to I would prefer a future young Quick then a good replacement like Copley

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Why would LA need Zucker? Kings have four deep lines. We’re trading a first and Grundstrom for a bottom six player? No thanks. Doesn’t account for Kings needs in the slightest. We need a stay at home left handed defenseman or a goalie.
*Brian Dumolin has entered the chat

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
It’s curious to me that Pens impending UFA’s never have any value - even in hypothetical scenarios :).

I don’t know LA’s situation enough, so maybe that’s just a bad fit, but obviously we would not be trading Zucker if we weren’t completely out of it. Being on a 55 points pace when you are L2 LW and second PP unit is pretty, pretty good. More so when you bring a lot of energy and consistent effort/physicality at the same time.

Dumo and Blueger though, go for it if there is a fit. We need different fits.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Zucker: I think Zucker can bring back a 1st, but a 2nd and a prospect seems more doable. The Penguins got Rakell for Clang and a 2nd last year, I'd expect something like that for Zucker. So a good prospect and a 2nd.
Prospects are useless for the Pens. Hextall and Sullivan prefer known turds over young players.

Who needs McCann when you can have big Jeff Carter?

Also, you know damn well our lazy ass GM will re-sign most of these players this summer so that he doesn’t have to do any work to find their replacements.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Pens likely keep their UFAs as they are trying to be a playoff team.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I could see Dumoulin returning a 2nd at 50% retention. GMs love defensive dmen with cup pedigree at this time of the year, even if they're playing like crap this year.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
My understanding is Ottawa fans wanted to get out of the Joseph contract. So that was the idea.

He just signed that contract and missed almost 2 months with an injury...let him actually play on his new contract before you try to boot him out the door.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
It’s curious to me that Pens impending UFA’s never have any value - even in hypothetical scenarios :).

I don’t know LA’s situation enough, so maybe that’s just a bad fit, but obviously we would not be trading Zucker if we weren’t completely out of it. Being on a 55 points pace when you are L2 LW and second PP unit is pretty, pretty good. More so when you bring a lot of energy and consistent effort/physicality at the same time.

Dumo and Blueger though, go for it if there is a fit. We need different fits.

I'm not saying that Zucker is a bad player, he's just not needed on the Kings. LA actually has a really good offense. Top 10 in goals scored this year. LA has Fiala (82 point pace), Arvidsson (60), Kempe (55), Vilardi (55), Iafallo (50), Moore (45), Byfield (finally playing big minutes on the top line), and Kaliyev (20 goal pace from the fourth line) as their top twelve wingers. That's to say nothing about some of LA's other promising young players like Turcotte, Kupari, Fagemo, Anderson-Dolan, and Grundstrom.

Zucker just isn't a fit unless he's lining up at 3C. Dumoulin would be a better target as mentioned since the Kings' defense, especially on the left side, is in need of some help. If Zucker could play 3C, maybe it would be a different story. I just don't think Byfield is ready for 3C duty in the playoffs.

But I'll play ball here. Hypothetically, maybe something like Zucker and Dumoulin for Sean Walker, Carl Grundstrom, and LA's 2024 1st for Jason Zucker and Brian Dumoulin?

Fiala - Kopitar - Kempe
Zucker - Danault - Arvidsson
Iafallo - Byfield - Vilardi
Moore - Lizotte - Kaliyev

Anderson - Doughty
Dumoulin - Durzi
Bjornfot - Roy
Edler

Reactions: AmadiosAmigos

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Zucker...lol Kings need LD men and a goalie. Poster has been living under a rock for a while.

It's funny cause I suggested on the Pens board last week (cause we need a goalie and know the Kings do too) we swap Casey DeSmith for one of your **** goalies and hope it's one of those "change of scenery" works for both parties.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Chiarot returned a 1st so I dunno why a 50% retained Zucker can't...like WTF LMAO!!!! this board man...
This is because Chiarot is a need for teams and Zucker is not a need for la If no need lower offer kinda makes a ton of sence

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
We want out of Zaitsevs contract. We want Joseph to play like he did last year.
He just signed that contract and missed almost 2 months with an injury...let him actually play on his new contract before you try to boot him out the door.
This is true, though there has definitely been some discussion on these boards around Joseph being moved out (in addition to Zaitsev) to make room if they want to both re-sign Debrincat and acquire a D making $5m+

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm not saying that Zucker is a bad player, he's just not needed on the Kings. LA actually has a really good offense. Top 10 in goals scored this year. LA has Fiala (82 point pace), Arvidsson (60), Kempe (55), Vilardi (55), Iafallo (50), Moore (45), Byfield (finally playing big minutes on the top line), and Kaliyev (20 goal pace from the fourth line) as their top twelve wingers. That's to say nothing about some of LA's other promising young players like Turcotte, Kupari, Fagemo, Anderson-Dolan, and Grundstrom.

Zucker just isn't a fit unless he's lining up at 3C. Dumoulin would be a better target as mentioned since the Kings' defense, especially on the left side, is in need of some help. If Zucker could play 3C, maybe it would be a different story. I just don't think Byfield is ready for 3C duty in the playoffs.

But I'll play ball here. Hypothetically, maybe something like Zucker and Dumoulin for Sean Walker, Carl Grundstrom, and LA's 2024 1st for Jason Zucker and Brian Dumoulin?

Fiala - Kopitar - Kempe
Zucker - Danault - Arvidsson
Iafallo - Byfield - Vilardi
Moore - Lizotte - Kaliyev

Anderson - Doughty
Dumoulin - Durzi
Bjornfot - Roy
Edler

Yeah, I'd do that deal.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
As long as Crosby and Malkin exist Pittsburgh is not selling
Don't understand why Penguins' fans can't comprehend this. Ownership, management, the players aren't worried about 5 years from now. IF the Pens are double digit points out of a wildcard spot the days before the deadline, then you'd see a sell-off of ufas. Unless a hockey trade presents itself, the ufas are going nowhere.

Reactions: sanscosm

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Don't understand why Penguins' fans can't comprehend this. Ownership, management, the players aren't worried about 5 years from now. IF the Pens are double digit points out of a wildcard spot the days before the deadline, then you'd see a sell-off of ufas. Unless a hockey trade presents itself, the ufas are going nowhere.

They already tried to move Blueger.

Hextall has done trades like this before, see Coburn out for Gudas.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Why would we get rid of Zucker? He's not a problem this year. I wouldn't be surprised if we resign him.

At best we need to trade a problem for a problem. Maybe Dumo (with retention) for a backup goalie out there.

Wasn't there talk about Kapanen for Puljujarvi?

As for making the playoffs being a factor...
I see it going down the wire, so we're not going to be sellers. We could be buyers but we don't have the cap space, and Hextall isn't known to make tough trades (ie. 3 team trades).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad