Proposal: PIT - UFAs (Zucker, Dumoulin, Blueger) (LAK, WPG, OTT)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Curious what teams would give up for the above players if PIT is willing to take back salary or retain.

Would retain 50% on Zucker for a 1st rounder.

Would take back a meh LD contract with lower cap and retain 50% on Dumo and a pick.

Would trade Blueger for very low return or a similar 4C with term and a pick. Maybe to Ottawa so they can get out of the Joseph contract and Joseph can play with his brother.

Logan Stanley + 3rd for Brian Dumoulin at 50% to the Jets.

Blueger for Mathieu Joseph and a 5th.

Zucker at 50% to LAK for 2023 or 2024 1st (who cares) and Grundstrom

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Zucker: I think Zucker can bring back a 1st, but a 2nd and a prospect seems more doable. The Penguins got Rakell for Clang and a 2nd last year, I'd expect something like that for Zucker. So a good prospect and a 2nd.
Dumoulin: A 3rd from a team who wants some veteran depth. I don't think you can ignore how atrocious he has been this year. I think a team would probably trade a 3rd for him to be a depth veteran, since he does have cup experience, but I wouldn't expect anything more than that.
Blueger: A 3rd from a team who wants a defensive 4C.

Can they even get a 1st for Zucker? he wasn't very good the last 2 seasons and is on pace for just 55 points this year.

Zucker was super injury prone in the last 2 years and is finally healthy this year. He's showing what he can do when he's healthy.

I think they might be able to get a 1st for him, but a 1st in value is more likely. So something like a 2nd and a good prospect.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Zucker will not return a 2023 1st unless the deal is based along the lines of Zucker and a 2023 1st for 1st. This draft class is too deep and I doubt many more 1sts get moved.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Why would LA need Zucker? Kings have four deep lines. We’re trading a first and Grundstrom for a bottom six player? No thanks. Doesn’t account for Kings needs in the slightest. We need a stay at home left handed defenseman or a goalie.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Can they even get a 1st for Zucker? he wasn't very good the last 2 seasons and is on pace for just 55 points this year.

:help::laugh:

As if 55 point players just fall off trees......Zucker would very easily bring back a 1st, especially at 50%.

Not that any of this matters, the Pens will not be trading Zucker. There is zero chance they are that far out of the playoffs or that far in the playoffs by the trade deadline to make a deal.

Dumo, Blueger and Kapanen are no doubt in the mix to be traded.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Zucker will not return a 2023 1st unless the deal is based along the lines of Zucker and a 2023 1st for 1st. This draft class is too deep and I doubt many more 1sts get moved.

That doesn’t even make sense. Zucker at 50% has plenty of value. He’s on pace for 55ish points and 50% retention would put him under $3 mill. The Penguins aren’t trading Zucker and a 1st for a 1st.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Curious what teams would give up for the above players if PIT is willing to take back salary or retain.

Would take back a meh LD contract with lower cap and retain 50% on Dumo and a pick.

Would trade Blueger for very low return or a similar 4C with term and a pick. Maybe to Ottawa so they can get out of the Joseph contract and Joseph can play with his brother.

Zucker is not returning a 1st.

he has a high amount in real salary. Evrn st 50% teams will pass.

ask yourself this…would a team want Kane st 50% or Zucker?

kane makes about half of what Zucker does in real money so it will cost less for a 3rd team to do pass through retention.

25% at deadline, ticket is owed around $1.4M in real money. Passing him through another team means that team will pay $350K That is worth a 3rd at least to the middle man. Thst cuts away from pit return.

vey few teams have the cap space and might be buying players which means that

( 1) a third team is invpvolved as a pas thru
(2) you will need to take salary back which will take away and pick/ prospect return.

Reactions: kinghock

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Zucker is not returning a 1st.

he has a high amount in real salary. Evrn st 50% teams will pass.

ask yourself this…would a team want Kane st 50% or Zucker?

kane makes about half of what Zucker does in real money so it will cost less for a 3rd team to do pass through retention.

25% at deadline, ticket is owed around $1.4M in real money. Passing him through another team means that team will pay $350K That is worth a 3rd at least to the middle man. Thst cuts away from pit return.

vey few teams have the cap space and might be buying players which means that

( 1) a third team is invpvolved as a pas thru
(2) you will need to take salary back which will take away and pick/ prospect return.

I'm perplexed by people that think Zucker won't be moved because of his cap hit.

Maybe he doesn't get a 1st. But Rakell was a very similar player and got a 2nd and a good prospect last year.

Zucker would easily get the same return.

Also comparing Kane and Zucker makes no sense because Kane can basically control his destiny ala Giroux.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
That would give them Morrissey, Dillon and Dumoulin down the left side with Heinola too.

Not sure I get what you are saying. Dumoulin is a better defenseman than Stanley.
Dumoulin being better is debatable. Everyone knows how badly Dumoulin has played this year. Winnipeg would be trying to add depth, not just make a lateral move for a player with less team control.

The Jets have spent a lot of time, effort and money developing Stanley, I can't see them throwing all that away for a rental that isn't an upgrade on anything they already have.

Reactions: Pongs21 and Troy

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'm perplexed by people that think Zucker won't be moved because of his cap hit.

Maybe he doesn't get a 1st. But Rakell was a very similar player and got a 2nd and a good prospect last year.

Also comparing Kane and Zucker makes no sense because Kane can basically control his destiny ala Giroux.

who has $2.6M in cap space and wants to use it on him?

look at the cap space situation on most teams. If thry are not over and using LTIR, they are at $2M or less.
the teams with the space are not teams buying.

kings are only giving up a 1st for a major up grade on left d or elite g prospect
A goalie prospect…sure. An elite goalie prospect cost more than a pick that could be in the mid 20s.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
who has $2.6M in cap space and wants to use it on him?

look at the cap space situation on most teams. If thry are not over and using LTIR, they are at $2M or less.
the teams with the space are not teams buying.

A goalie prospect…sure. An elite goalie prospect cost more than a pick that could be in the mid 20s.

Which is why PIT would like be taking back a UFA contract or something in return. Also, I guarantee if Zucker is offered at 2.6 mil a ton of contenders would want a player that plays the game he does. As I said, maybe he doesn’t return a 1st but in a world where people want to acquire Max Domi, Zucker definitely has value.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Aim lower on Zucker. He’s been a mediocre player for several years. A 2nd at 50% seems right for him. Maybe a 2nd + a 5th. NFW he’s worth a 1st in this terrific draft.

The Ottawa trade makes no sense for Ottawa. They don’t need to be adding to their roster at the 4th line level. Value seems fine but the idea doesn’t compute.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Which is why PIT would like be taking back a UFA contract or something in return. Also, I guarantee if Zucker is offered at 2.6 mil a ton of contenders would want a player that plays the game he does. As I said, maybe he doesn’t return a 1st but in a world where people want to acquire Max Domi, Zucker definitely has value.

most good teams in a playoff hunt dont have a disposable high contract to send back like of a player making $2.5M+

a more likely scenario is they have a lower contract on an ELC or bridge that might be $1M but then these players aren’t cap dumps but have real value….thst real value factors into the prospects/ picks

you could look at a deal with say Boston who has Reilly buried. He has a full year left.…but thrn you could get a decent prospect and pick.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Aim lower on Zucker. He’s been a mediocre player for several years. A 2nd at 50% seems right for him. Maybe a 2nd + a 5th. NFW he’s worth a 1st in this terrific draft.

The Ottawa trade makes no sense for Ottawa. They don’t need to be adding to their roster at the 4th line level. Value seems fine but the idea doesn’t compute.

My understanding is Ottawa fans wanted to get out of the Joseph contract. So that was the idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad