Confirmed Trade: [PIT/TOR] Kasperi Kapanen, Lindgren, Aberg for 2020 1st, Hallander, Warsofsky, Rodrigues

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
It might. There are hints that there is more coming. I know that I am a fan of Kapanen and I hope he does well in Pittsburgh.

I like Kap a lot too. He is so versatile. Beyond the speed, he can play up and down the line up. He can PK. He can be physical and fights a bit too.
I think he needs to improve accuracy in shot and his decision making. Which he can in time.

I think he will do well in Pitt. I am optimistic that he will get 25+ goals and put up 50+ points in Pitt. He has all the tools to surpass what he has achieved/done to date at a still young age.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ciao

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Kapanens problem was always between the ears. I dont see that changing. He plays with horse blinders on. Sometimes that works but most of the time it doesnt. I was really hoping his game would evolve as a Leaf but it never happened. I know hes still a kid but I dont see his hands/brain ever catching up to his legs.
You might well be right but obviously I'm still pulling for the kid. I just like him, thats all.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
You might well be right but obviously I'm still pulling for the kid. I just like him, thats all.
Oh, dont get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Kap. Loved when we got him and still think he can be a top 6 winger. It's just that he never really evolved his game here. He may end up being one of those who figures it out when hes 30-31 years old.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I like Kap a lot too. He is so versatile. Beyond the speed, he can play up and down the line up. He can PK. He can be physical and fights a bit too.
I think he needs to improve accuracy in shot and his decision making. Which he can in time.

I think he will do well in Pitt. I am optimistic that he will get 25+ goals and put up 50+ points in Pitt. He has all the tools to surpass what he has achieved/done to date at a still young age.
15 to 20 goals is his upper limit . 40 to 45 points... 50 plus would be a bonus

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
I don't know, I have seen enough trades that people have declared one team won even before one game was played, and only after the season the same people regret that trade. You may know one right now. You won't have to think very hard.

Thinking something will happen based on probability and hoping something will happen because miracles have happened before are two different things. Not sure why you feel the need to keep playing the opposite side of Toronto here but all the power to you I guess.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Right, he doesn't see Kapanen as a top six player. Fair enough.

I don't think that's accurate, though. I think Kapanen's produced enough to be considered a top six player, even if he's not an elite one.

I look at Kapanen as similar to Bryan Rust before Rust's breakout season. Capable of playing anywhere in the top nine, and producing roughly 40-ish points while being able to play on the PK.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think that's accurate, though. I think Kapanen's produced enough to be considered a top six player, even if he's not an elite one.

I look at Kapanen as similar to Bryan Rust before Rust's breakout season. Capable of playing anywhere in the top nine, and producing roughly 40-ish points while being able to play on the PK.
I think he is too. It was Ray Ferraro who doesn't

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Thinking something will happen based on probability and hoping something will happen because miracles have happened before are two different things. Not sure why you feel the need to keep playing the opposite side of Toronto here but all the power to you I guess.
Besides, what would it have to do with the Leafs if he went on to scare 50 goals? He didn't do it here. I hope he does well there.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I still can’t get over this f***ing trade. Will teams please stop helping the Leafs so much? I’d bet money that Hallander is a better player than Kapanen by 2022.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I still can’t get over this f***ing trade. Will teams please stop helping the Leafs so much? I’d bet money that Hallander is a better player than Kapanen by 2022.

Based on?

Seems like shiny new toy syndrome. A prospect who, until the trade, barely anyone even considered a Top 100 prospect, now is going to be better than someone who has proven to be a ~40 point player in the NHL with room to grow.

Reactions: Giskard and NB613

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Based on?

Seems like shiny new toy syndrome. A prospect who, until the trade, barely anyone even considered a Top 100 prospect, now is going to be better than someone who has proven to be a ~40 point player in the NHL with room to grow.
I like Hallander a lot. I liked him in his draft year. I think his game is mature and that he’ll be a very good 2-way forward. I think Kapanen is overrated. That is all.

Reactions: teddygmr

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
There is a bit of insecurity in your post if you think my reply of reminding a poster a deal is not a win until you see the results on the ice. This should be obvious by now since a player traded last year is excelling for another team in the playoffs right now when it was also 1st thought one team was a winner of a trade before even seeing how the players performed on the ice. The one thing I do know about Kapanen is the Pens traded for probably the 2nd grittiest fwd on the Leafs who if given a chance with Crosby or Malkin should have his best year yet. If anything, I don't think enough is being made of this. For a team with little grit, they became even softer, so it is not a win IMO.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I like Hallander a lot. I liked him in his draft year. I think his game is mature and that he’ll be a very good 2-way forward. I think Kapanen is overrated. That is all.

Not sure I see the offensive upside for Hallander to end up better (offensively) than Kapanen. IMO, I see something similar to another former Pens' prospect who found success elsewhere in Oskar Sundqvist. Good bottom six guy who is capable defensively and can chip in offense, but probably not a top six pivot.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not sure I see the offensive upside for Hallander to end up better (offensively) than Kapanen. IMO, I see something similar to another former Pens' prospect who found success elsewhere in Oskar Sundqvist. Good bottom six guy who is capable defensively and can chip in offense, but probably not a top six pivot.
Rutherford mentioned he liked Kapanen also for the way he played. The speed is obvious, and he's always had a good shot. But it is also the gritty factor. Other than Hyman, Kapanen was the Leafs 2nd most gritty fwd. Sid likes players to go get him the puck, Sid is a good communicator with his teammates, and no one works harder to set an example. I am sure he will tell Kapanen All he has to do is get him the puck and get in position to get the puck back and shoot. That's really simplifying it, but that's what will be most effective playing with him, sort of like Kunitz did. Also people saying the Leafs won't miss Kapanen are probably not considering Dubas has almost completely obliterated the team's grit since he took over. This was not as one sided a trade as some think it is. We saw this in the playoffs this year, Kadri, Komarov, Martin, even Brown in Ottawa this year in the regular season succeed. All players with grit, now Kapanen if he has a career year is a player that can succeed also with Pittsburg who play a style he should fit in well with.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Rutherford mentioned he liked Kapanen also for the way he played. The speed is obvious, and he's always had a good shot. But it is also the gritty factor. Other than Hyman, Kapanen was the Leafs 2nd most gritty fwd. Sid likes players to go get him the puck, Sid is a good communicator with his teammates, and no one works harder to set an example. I am sure he will tell Kapanen All he has to do is get Sid the puck and get in position to get the puck back and shoot. That's really simplifying it, but that's what will be most effective playing with him, sort of like Kunitz did. Also people saying the Leafs won't miss Kapanen are probably not considering Dubas has almost completely obliterated the team's grit since he took over. This was not as one sided a trade as some think it is. We saw this in the playoffs this year, Kadri, Komarov, Martin, even Brown in Ottawa this year in the regular season succeed. All players with grit, now Kapanen if he has a career year is a player that can succeed also with Pittsburg who play a style he should fit in well with.

One positive with Kapanen is it will be nice to have a winger in the Pens' top six who isn't shorter than Crosby. Not that it's the be-all, end-all. But I think part of the Pens' struggles especially lately is when teams clog things up in the playoffs and there's less space to free wheel, flanking Crosby with two guys who are generously 180 lbs. and both on the short side doesn't help battle through those 6'2, 200+ lbs. defensemen for pucks.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
One positive with Kapanen is it will be nice to have a winger in the Pens' top six who isn't shorter than Crosby. Not that it's the be-all, end-all. But I think part of the Pens' struggles especially lately is when teams clog things up in the playoffs and there's less space to free wheel, flanking Crosby with two guys who are generously 180 lbs. and both on the short side doesn't help battle through those 6'2, 200+ lbs. defensemen for pucks.
Good thing he didn't take after his dad. Kasperi is 6'1 200, or just a tad under 200 lbs. His dad was 5'8. 170. But one thing he did take from his dad was he is feisty. He will fit in well with the Pens Identity. Funny also is I remember his fight against the Pens McCann last year. So Rutherford is perhaps a little more sharper than people are giving him credit for. If Kapanen can score 25, be the defensive conscience on a line with either Malkin or Sid. Bring the intangibles of grit and fight to the Pens, I am wondering why this is such a big win for the Leafs since this is exactly the type of player they need? This almost reminds me of the Kadri trade last year.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I am wondering why this is such a big win for the Leafs since this is exactly the type of player they need? This almost reminds me of the Kadri trade last year.

Because HF generally favors any deal that involves a 1st round pick and a prospect going the other way. It's the allure of landing a stud with the 15th overall, but the reality is historically you're probably lucky just to even get another Kapanen with that pick.

I also don't think the cap savings help the Leafs all that much. Kapanen's not making enough to clear the kind of room they'd need to sign a big name (ie. Pietrangelo), especially when you factor in the Leafs still have to pay someone to take his spot on the third line.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Because HF generally favors any deal that involves a 1st round pick and a prospect going the other way. It's the allure of landing a stud with the 15th overall, but the reality is historically you're probably lucky just to even get another Kapanen with that pick.

I also don't think the cap savings help the Leafs all that much. Kapanen's not making enough to clear the kind of room they'd need to sign a big name (ie. Pietrangelo), especially when you factor in the Leafs still have to pay someone to take his spot on the third line.
I tell you one thing, one team won't like playing Kapanen next year. They are busy right now in the playoffs. But I can say for a fact, it would bug me. Pens got better.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I am wondering why this is such a big win for the Leafs since this is exactly the type of player they need? This almost reminds me of the Kadri trade last year.
Based on the reports it sounds like Pittsburgh was the only team who was willing to trade a 1st round pick since Dubas asked that from all the GM's he was dealing with. Considering all the Dubas bashing he got for trading away the 13th overall pick because he had to get rid of Patrick Marleau's horrible contract, he deserves credit for getting the 15th overall pick in the same draft. Plus this trade helps with the Leafs salary cap.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Based on the reports it sounds like Pittsburgh was the only team who was willing to trade a 1st round pick since Dubas asked that from all the GM's he was dealing with. Considering all the Dubas bashing he got for trading away the 13th overall pick because he had to get rid of Patrick Marleau's horrible contract, he deserves credit for getting the 15th overall pick in the same draft. Plus this trade helps with the Leafs salary cap.
I think it was the pick plus prospect. Anyway, the trade was done a few days ago. Why would Leaf fans worry about what Kapp does or doesn't do anymore than Pitt worries about who the draft pick will be or how well the prospect develops. It is irrelevant.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I see too much Kapanen "bashing" from the leafs side, he's a good player and a good pick up for the pens. In the long run yes i feel like leafs will come out much better, but make no mistake the Pens are getting a really good player, who can PK/PP. Yes they overpaid, but lets not act like hes a garbage player, he's better than average and the Pens are a better team today for it. A chance for another cup run today at the cost of long term, worth it for them given they have Sid and Geno who are in their mid 30s now.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I see too much Kapanen "bashing" from the leafs side, he's a good player and a good pick up for the pens. In the long run yes i feel like leafs will come out much better, but make no mistake the Pens are getting a really good player, who can PK/PP. Yes they overpaid, but lets not act like hes a garbage player, he's better than average and the Pens are a better team today for it. A chance for another cup run today at the cost of long term, worth it for them given they have Sid and Geno who are in their mid 30s now.
Obviously, he is a good player. Where is the bashing?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

he is a good player owed 2.1 x 2. He has value. The issue is that they want him in the top 6. Kappy in his 5 years in the leaf org has never proven he has the mindset to do that.

he works best as a 1 man army on the third line. He’s a “number 7” forward. He doesn’t use his line mates. He doesn’t cycle in the o zone. He doesn’t make plays.

he has incredible straight away speed. Gets break always and just flies. But he could not gel at all with Matthews and JT. Two centres who work well with a possession/cycle game.
If they wanted him to anchor the third line and dominate lower competition it would be smart this doesn’t make sense from what they are saying

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad