Confirmed Trade: [PIT/TOR] Kasperi Kapanen, Lindgren, Aberg for 2020 1st, Hallander, Warsofsky, Rodrigues

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think that this is a very nice trade for the PMenguins. Kasperi Kapanen has proved that he is a very fast moving winger with some scoring touch, so there should be nice times for him playing next to Crosby or Malkin. Kasperi is going to score many goals before that draft pick is entering the scene.

Kapanen didn't work in Toronto's top 6but was great on line 3.

If he couldn't work with Matthews or Tavares I am not sure he will work with Crosby or Malkin

Reactions: Kurtz

Jackpot Jaret

Oct 22, 2014
Kapanen didn't work in Toronto's top 6but was great on line 3.

If he couldn't work with Matthews or Tavares I am not sure he will work with Crosby or Malkin

The big difference is that Crosby and Malkin are playmakers, while Matthews and Tavares are shooters. Only real time Malkin shoots is on the PP. You could be right, Kapanen may not work out, but its a much different situation.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Kappy is a luxury player. I think Pittsburgh made a mistake thinking he can play top 6.

He's the perfect 3rd liner. Great secondary scoring and speed.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Kappy is a luxury player. I think Pittsburgh made a mistake thinking he can play top 6.

He's the perfect 3rd liner. Great secondary scoring and speed.
I think it'll work out fine for the Pens. Crosby and Malkin are both better playmakers than anyone Kapanen has had a chance to play with in Toronto. This playoffs notwithstanding, Kapanen has always been a "big game player" and showed up when it counts, which is what the Pens really want in a winger for Syd/Geno and their last hurrah push. Maybe he just meshes with one of them better than he did with any of the Leafs centers and has a huge year. Worst case scenario is Pittsburgh gets a 15-goal scorer who can PK well to fill out the 2nd line.

Reactions: Ciao

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think it'll work out fine for the Pens. Crosby and Malkin are both better playmakers than anyone Kapanen has had a chance to play with in Toronto. This playoffs notwithstanding, Kapanen has always been a "big game player" and showed up when it counts, which is what the Pens really want in a winger for Syd/Geno and their last hurrah push. Maybe he just meshes with one of them better than he did with any of the Leafs centers and has a huge year. Worst case scenario is Pittsburgh gets a 15-goal scorer who can PK well to fill out the 2nd line.

Worst case scenario is he helps the 3rd line not be the offensive black hole it was during the series versus Montreal. That line literally did nothing other than get caved in.

I'm essentially at a place where I like the player but am iffy on the price. If Kapanen blossoms on the Pens and helps them do well in the playoffs, I'd suddenly not give a damn about the price.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Worst case scenario is he helps the 3rd line not be the offensive black hole it was during the series versus Montreal. That line literally did nothing other than get caved in.

I'm essentially at a place where I like the player but am iffy on the price. If Kapanen blossoms on the Pens and helps them do well in the playoffs, I'd suddenly not give a damn about the price.
The Leafs third line was an offensive black hole this playoff with him on it.

I do think he could fit well with Crosby. Malkin could go either way

Reactions: Cheeks Klapanen

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Kapp lacks the high speed hockey IQ to play with geno or sid... not a knock but he is a thrid line guy ..he was on the leafs and will be on the pens.. trying to force him to play with them is a mistake . Simply too much to give for a third line winger ..

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Kapp lacks the high speed hockey IQ to play with geno or sid... not a knock but he is a thrid line guy ..he was on the leafs and will be on the pens.. trying to force him to play with them is a mistake . Simply too much to give for a third line winger ..
I mean, he doesn't. He didn't seem to be the right fit for that team's style of play and their top 6. He's a straight away speed player, north-south type of game with his wheels and he's far better at handling the puck, than the Leafs fans are wanting to give him credit for, the usual "we traded away a player, let's crap all over him" stigma.

It's like we Pens fans, the original drafting team, didn't dissect his game the first 2yrs he was a Pens prospect and knowing what his strengths were and then saw him work on his flaws on the Marlies (2-way game) and suddenly show he's capable of much more. He's a lot closer to Hagelin/Rust's style of game, with better hands and shows potential to produce more consistently (closer to Rust but better).

It's funny, Pens lost this trade because people assume Kapanen is just a 3rd line player.
Whereas, when he does play in the top 6 and produce, it'll then shift focus on how the Pens gave up a great prospect (whomever the leafs draft at 15th) for him. There's no win scenario according to leafs fans for the Pens.

The fun part for me is that the Pens got back Kapanen and gave up an ok bottom 6 prospect, a solid 4th line player and a 15th pick for Kapanen and they're still paying Kessel.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I mean, he doesn't. He didn't seem to be the right fit for that team's style of play and their top 6. He's a straight away speed player, north-south type of game with his wheels and he's far better at handling the puck, than the Leafs fans are wanting to give him credit for, the usual "we traded away a player, let's crap all over him" stigma.

It's like we Pens fans, the original drafting team, didn't dissect his game the first 2yrs he was a Pens prospect and knowing what his strengths were and then saw him work on his flaws on the Marlies (2-way game) and suddenly show he's capable of much more. He's a lot closer to Hagelin/Rust's style of game, with better hands and shows potential to produce more consistently (closer to Rust but better).

It's funny, Pens lost this trade because people assume Kapanen is just a 3rd line player.
Whereas, when he does play in the top 6 and produce, it'll then shift focus on how the Pens gave up a great prospect (whomever the leafs draft at 15th) for him. There's no win scenario according to leafs fans for the Pens.

The fun part for me is that the Pens got back Kapanen and gave up an ok bottom 6 prospect, a solid 4th line player and a 15th pick for Kapanen and they're still paying Kessel.
only some people think the Pens lost the trade. Others think it was a good trade

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
47 pages mate, I don't think a lot of them are in that latter boat, but I think it was a fairly decent deal for both sides.
In the 47 pages, there is a lot of different opinions. Kapanen is definitely someone who will play for Pittsburgh and he will be given a chance in the top six.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
If he fits the top 6 then the Pens did fine.

a 1st and an ok prospect is the going rate for a top 6 winger. Especially one with multiple years of control.

If he end up being a ho hum third liner, theN they didnt do well.

Its really that simple.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If he fits the top 6 then the Pens did fine.

a 1st and an ok prospect is the going rate for a top 6 winger. Especially one with multiple years of control.

If he end up being a ho hum third liner, theN they didnt do well.

Its really that simple.

He didn't work with either Matthews or Tavares so I question if he can play top 6 there is currently no reason to believe he can

horner

May 22, 2007
He didn't work with either Matthews or Tavares so I question if he can play top 6 there is currently no reason to believe he can
Sid is a different beast than Taveras and Mathews .
Sid is not a quiet leader
Sid expects you to bring it every shift as he does.
Sid gets involved physically.
Kappy if he is smart he will learn from Sid , he may not have a choice.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Sid is a different beast than Taveras and Mathews .
Sid is not a quiet leader
Sid expects you to bring it every shift as he does.
Sid gets involved physically.
Kappy if he is smart he will learn from Sid , he may not have a choice.

Sid getting involved physically, or "brining it" or not being a quiet leader has nothing to do with Kapanen's ability to play with him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Crosby is a completely different player than Matthews and Tavares. Crosby is a significantly better playmaker than either of those guys and has thrived with tunnel vision speedsters like Kapanen in the past.

Reactions: Giskard

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Crosby is a completely different player than Matthews and Tavares. Crosby is a significantly better playmaker than either of those guys and has thrived with tunnel vision speedsters like Kapanen in the past.

Crosby can get Kapanen all day long, Kapanen issues issue is his hands can't keep up with his feet if they could he'd score 40 because he is a breakaway machine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad