Confirmed Trade: [PIT/STL] Ryan Reaves and 51st pick to Pittsburgh for Sundqvist and 31st pick

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
It's starting to make more sense why the Penguins viewed Sundqvist as expendable, it looks like Cullen isn't set on retiring this summer. If that's true, the Penguins would have possibly lost Sundqvist on waivers, he'd probably be the 3rd option for the 4C spot after Cullen and Rowney.

I don't think the Penguins have to choose between Sundqvist, Cullen, and Rowney for the job at 4C. They can always sign somebody else. It looks like they just soured on Sundqvist.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
How did I over-rate him? I said he is currently our best center prospect. And was likely the only one currently available to have a shot at the 4c spot. I think that is true....I didnt say he was a great answer...but he is an answer and he showed some decent progression last year. If GmJR has another plan, then thats fine....but this trade was very much in STL favor. Most of the experts agree. That doesnt mean it cant work out for us, but STL got the better end of it. A fourth line player for a B/C prospect and moving up 20 spots in an already shallow draft seems high for what Reaves brings to the table. I will probably love Reaves, because when I played, I loved a good fight. And he certainly seems capable in that area. But just because I like a player, that doesnt mean that the other team didnt get the better of a deal.
And FWIW, I dont care how many games you went to this year. I watched everyone of them on TV. Had seasons for 15 years myself till I moved south. Now I watch em all on DTV. I probably have missed about 20 games since 1979. That doesnt make me an expert, nor does the fact that you are a ST holder make you one. Why take bets on 3c and D? This is about a 4c. If JR doesnt get a 4c better than Sundquist, the team cant win another cup. I dont think Rowney is much of an upgrade, especially when he has been better at wing to date.

The point is Rowney beat out Sundqvist when the team needed a 4th line center due to injury. I think the Pens did not see Sundqvist as the answer. I am not saying Rowney is either if it is filling Cullen's shoes. To do that you would have to get someone like Boyle or of course Cullen. Would love Hanzal and Boyle but doubt we could fit that under the cap. As long as we get a good 3C though I am fine with having just a hard forechecking 4th line like Wilson-Rowney-Reaves but of course I would like a better 4C if we could afford it. I would say the same thing if that was Sundqvist also. I just felt Sundqvist is slow and not just top end but also quickness. Just did not like him for our system.

Fan since 79! That is great. I did not get on the band wagon watching every game until Mario was drafted. First wave of band wagon fans, ha ha.

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008
Uh it was a dumb trade where the Pens overpaid. What does back to back cups have anything to do about this trade? if anything that's just looking for excuses for us to sit in our corner and not question anything. It's a hockey forum, we are talking about a bad hockey trade our GM made.

Dumb trade huh? I guess that's why everyone's entitled to an opinion. Bloody freedom of speech. I'll side with our 2 time defending Stanley Cup champion GM on this one big guy. Keep questioning whatever you want....you obviously have the time on your hands to do so.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
It's EVEN WORSE... OMFG.

We just won two straight cups getting away from this kinda crap. Speed, youth etc.. and now they wanna go back to ****ing bums like Tanner Glass, Craig Adams and now Reaves who cant play?

**** off waiting all night for a draft pick to see this ****.

This.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Dumb trade huh? I guess that's why everyone's entitled to an opinion. Bloody freedom of speech. I'll side with our 2 time defending Stanley Cup champion GM on this one big guy. Keep questioning whatever you want....you obviously have the time on your hands to do so.

Another 2 time Cup winner GM is in cap hell. And another 2 time cup winner is also unemployed now.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I would have gladly offered Foligno and #54 for #31. Foligno was one of the league leaders in hits, can drop the gloves, is very physical and unlike Reaves can actually hit double digit goals. Much younger too.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think the Penguins have to choose between Sundqvist, Cullen, and Rowney for the job at 4C. They can always sign somebody else. It looks like they just soured on Sundqvist.

I don't think they soured on him, I think they just felt he wasn't quite NHL ready and wasn't likely to clear waivers.

Blueger's right behind him anyway.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Another 2 time Cup winner GM is in cap hell. And another 2 time cup winner is also unemployed now.

So far, so far the Penguins aren't saddled with a single bad loyalty contract, though. So that's a big plus/difference.

And as much as I'm not a fan of this trade at all for the asset management side of things, Reaves is a significantly better player than guys like Glass and Adams were. That's not saying a ton, mind you, but still. I just hope the Pens go out and get a 4C (assuming Cullen retires) because Rowney, as much as I love the guy, has zero offensive capabilities and a line with him and Reaves on it is going to be in the defensive zone all the time. Part of what has separated these Penguins teams from the Bylsma/Shero useless era was the ability to roll four effective lines...Reaves is fine on a fourth line with Cullen and Wilson, but with Rowney and Kuhnhackl not so much.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Shawn Thornton skates like he's in sand, Reaves does not.

Please. The Penguins didn't trade for Reaves cause he can skate a little. Thornton had his moments offensively, he actually put up 20 points one year something Reaves has never done.

Great locker room guy, Physical, Fighter...sound familiar? Oh but he can skate a little better so it's totally different.

I actually think it's a good move getting a guy like Reaves on your team...but giving up assets for this kind of player is silly.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
"assets"

Moving down to pick the same player and a waiver prospect.

First Round Picks? Barely worth anything. Anytime you can give those up for guys who play 8 minutes a game you gotta do it. Especially when you can get a player 120+ spots before he was ranked.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I actually like this trade from the Pens POV.

I feel like Reaves is fairly unique in todays game. He's not your typical tough guy who sucks at hockey. The guy can skate. He's not going to sit in the penalty box for unnecessary minors every other game. He will fight anyone and is truly intimidating presence.

When the news came out that the Pens were looking for a tough guy who can play, i couldn't think of many valid options. In fact, Reaves was the first one that came to mind but i didn't think the Blues would be willing to give him up. Makes sense that the price was fairly high.

crossbownerf said:
He's a mix of Carl Hagelin and Jason Allison.

sfvega said:
It's been said (and corrected) in this thread several times. Not to be a jerk, people just seem to be uninformed about the guy. Reaves has good speed and in addition to that, he skates hard almost all the time. He might have been our fastest skater outside of Yak, Paajarvi, and Fabbri last year. Not that it's saying much with our team speed.

If he can skate, which looks like he can, he'd be a welcome addition to the Penguins. We're pretty much simplified the identity of our team, and anything that fits into that mold works.

I wonder if he could do more than be a 4th line winger.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I wonder if the Blues would have done this deal if Kostin wasnt still on the board? Not sure they really wanted to move Reaves, but maybe they thought getting Kostin was worth it.

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008
First Round Picks? Barely worth anything. Anytime you can give those up for guys who play 8 minutes a game you gotta do it. Especially when you can get a player 120+ spots before he was ranked.

Why don't you enjoy Sweeney and the ridiculous moves he's been making for your team and we'll enjoy a 3rd consecutive opportunity to raise Lord Stanley's Cup. Cool?

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008
I would have gladly offered Foligno and #54 for #31. Foligno was one of the league leaders in hits, can drop the gloves, is very physical and unlike Reaves can actually hit double digit goals. Much younger too.

Foligno...is he still in the league? The Pens have guys like Hornqvist and Kunitz that do the same job as that guy you said is still on your roster. Reaves is a completely different beast.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009

maybe they'll type up on the stanley cup banner they raise in october

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
a necessary evil, due to gutless refs.

also, people are way too caught up in "winning the trade". who cares. the pens paid a premium to acquire a luxury.

Such is life.

Most every luxury comes at a price...and in hockey, the Pens already pay two (Hornqvist and Hagelin). There are those that can think of nothing but the cap hit, then there are those who realize what is being brought to the table and don't really think of the dollar figure (especially since it's within reason). Reaves is on an incredibly manageable contract..it's my hope the Pens sign a quick extension at an equally manageable hit as whether this experiment works or doesn't - he could always garnish a return in the future. The trade would never happen for a late round pick... I've seen him and know St Louis hockey enough to know he truly was valued there. As for the Sundqvist part of the trade, part of me is really happy we're looking elsewhere for our 4C; did not like what I saw last year but wish him the best with the Blues.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Don't understand why toughness is needed now after winning two cups in a row without it. Atleast hes cheap and only has one year left in his contract.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Don't understand why toughness is needed now after winning two cups in a row without it. Atleast hes cheap and only has one year left in his contract.

Post-whistle stuff mainly. Can also be used for wearing down opposing teams in a series. If JR strictly wanted a fighter or someone who threw a lot of hits there were cheaper options.

No other option skates as fast, hits as hard, or shows as much fire at the NHL level.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Foligno...is he still in the league? The Pens have guys like Hornqvist and Kunitz that do the same job as that guy you said is still on your roster. Reaves is a completely different beast.

I'm fairly confident foligno could truck kunitz, start the fight...horny could be third man in and foligno would still pump kunitz with the right and horn his left and come out on top.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt

Opposing teams way too many liberties with Pens' players without any retribution from the Pens or the refs. Crosby, Schultz, Letang, Maatta take an absurd amount of abuse.
I think this is no coincidence that the Pens lead the league in injuries every year.

Reaves sounds like a great addition and a solid 4th liner, but he does not solve the Pens' main issue. Our biggest issue is we need someone like Reaves who can play top 9 minutes. Reaves 8 minutes a game really don't help at all.

Someone like Jenner or Lucic would be ideal.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
I'm fairly confident foligno could truck kunitz, start the fight...horny could be third man in and foligno would still pump kunitz with the right and horn his left and come out on top.

That's a great post, man. Think he could beat em up with one hand tied behind his back?

Blind Mind

May 23, 2016
Pens fans have a 100 reasons to hate the trade right now....

Soon emough Reaves will give them 1 000 to love it!

;);)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad