Confirmed Trade: [PIT/STL] Ryan Reaves and 51st pick to Pittsburgh for Sundqvist and 31st pick

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Kostin seems great, but hadn't he dropped from that #1 spot because of his injury?

He was still listed as the #1 European Skater on Central Scouting's April (end of season) rankings, followed by Patterson (taken #5 to Vancouver), Andersson (#7 to NYR), and Heiskanen (#3 to Dallas).

Obviously the injury dropped him pretty significantly in the eyes of most NHL teams. It'll be interesting to see how he develops. If he can recover fully and reach his potential then it's an absolute steal of a pick.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Hopefully Lauzon becomes a really good NHL Dman so this trade looks atleast a little better. Rathert have given up a 3rd to get Reaves.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
I'm not saying that this is a good trade but it cracks me up to see Pens fans complaining about how "dumb their GM is" after they just won back to back cups lol like seriously come on.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
He was still listed as the #1 European Skater on Central Scouting's April (end of season) rankings, followed by Patterson (taken #5 to Vancouver), Andersson (#7 to NYR), and Heiskanen (#3 to Dallas).

Obviously the injury dropped him pretty significantly in the eyes of most NHL teams. It'll be interesting to see how he develops. If he can recover fully and reach his potential then it's an absolute steal of a pick.

Surprised he dropped so far after the injury. Maybe teams were worried that the KHL could swoop in.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm not saying that this is a good trade but it cracks me up to see Pens fans complaining about how "dumb their GM is" after they just won back to back cups lol like seriously come on.

Uh it was a dumb trade where the Pens overpaid. What does back to back cups have anything to do about this trade? if anything that's just looking for excuses for us to sit in our corner and not question anything. It's a hockey forum, we are talking about a bad hockey trade our GM made.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
As a Blues fan it's a definite overpayment from the Pens from a pure hockey standpoint.

THAT SAID, Reaves is a huge fan favorite. He's worth more than the average 4th liner for that reason alone, and the Blues probably wouldn't have moved him for a mid-round pick, which might be his value from a stats standpoint. For the Pens if he makes other teams think even a tiny bit harder about taking cheap shots at Crosby and Co., then it's a respectable move to make.

The Penguins are good enough to win the Cup again as is. They have all of the necessary pieces already. If Reaves makes them a little bit more intimidating to play against then why not go for it?

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com

Mostly the same people who thought it was the end of the world when Rutherford traded Simon Despres for Ben Lovejoy. Lovejoy has a Pittsburgh Stanley Cup ring and a nice contract in New Jersey and Simon Despres is trying to fight through the cobwebs.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Mostly the same people who thought it was the end of the world when Rutherford traded Simon Despres for Ben Lovejoy. Lovejoy has a Pittsburgh Stanley Cup ring and a nice contract in New Jersey and Simon Despres is trying to fight through the cobwebs.

It was a REALLY ****** trade at the time and it would still be a REALLY ****** trade if Despres did not suffer career ending concussion. Nobody knew what was going to happen so you really should not be using that against us. Thought that was pretty easy to figure out?

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
In my June wish list I had the Islanders getting Reaves but for only a mid pick.
Having him lurking around the ice for 5-10 minutes a game is a great thing. It means so much when the guys can play without fear of the cheap shot. Confidence stays high.
Might even push the Pens to a championship . ( sarcasm )
With Hamonic now traded ,and he was never a good fighter, our tough guy is Anders Lee .
Reaves would slaughter him.Hate the Pens .No comment on the pieces / picks going back and forth to St. Louis. Feel they made a good acquisition .
Cheers

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

Yeah - preach it.

Same people going nuts over this who will every year whine about the price of rentals and the damage it does to their eternity mode NHL manager fixations.

JR wants another cup, now. And he pays to get the assets he believes can accomplish that. With back to back cups and his moves having generally panned out excessively well, one would think fans would have some faith.

One can combine that with the opinion that this was in all likelihood overpayment from an asset management pow. I'd certainly agree on that. At the same time I think it improves our chances for next year and helps fix a genuine issue.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Pens were never gonna pick Kostin anyway.
So please dont mock us when he becomes a superstar :P

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Question to those who know this player....
Can Reaves skate?
or is he slow as molasses?

It's been said (and corrected) in this thread several times. Not to be a jerk, people just seem to be uninformed about the guy. Reaves has good speed and in addition to that, he skates hard almost all the time. He might have been our fastest skater outside of Yak, Paajarvi, and Fabbri last year. Not that it's saying much with our team speed.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Question to those who know this player....
Can Reaves skate?
or is he slow as molasses?

I actually like this trade from the Pens POV.

I feel like Reaves is fairly unique in todays game. He's not your typical tough guy who sucks at hockey. The guy can skate. He's not going to sit in the penalty box for unnecessary minors every other game. He will fight anyone and is truly intimidating presence.

When the news came out that the Pens were looking for a tough guy who can play, i couldn't think of many valid options. In fact, Reaves was the first one that came to mind but i didn't think the Blues would be willing to give him up. Makes sense that the price was fairly high.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Saying you wanted or should have only given a 3rd rounder is hilarious considering the only reason he was traded was that it was a 1st. Otherwise, the Blues value Reaves much higher and would have kept him.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens and GMJR isolate players who have a definitive role and fill a need. Hagelin, speed LW. Daley PMD. Hornquist, grit and net presence. Bonino, great 3rd line center with smarts and great PK. Schultz, higher end skating and RH shot. Reeves will play a important role in the next pens coming season. Pens really like him a lot.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
If this was actually proposed it would get laughed at and Pens fans would be calling it a stupid proposal

tjung0831

Sep 17, 2008
St. Charles Missouri
Pens fans are going to be very happy with Reaves. Most people don't know how good he is and just how fast he can turn a game around. The guy is a much better player than people give him credit for and more importantly his teammates love him and he's great in the locker room. Add all that and the fact that he's been the current NHL heavyweight champ for several years and you have a very valuable player regardless of how many minutes per night he plays.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's starting to make more sense why the Penguins viewed Sundqvist as expendable, it looks like Cullen isn't set on retiring this summer. If that's true, the Penguins would have possibly lost Sundqvist on waivers, he'd probably be the 3rd option for the 4C spot after Cullen and Rowney.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad