Confirmed Trade: [PIT/STL] Ryan Reaves and 51st pick to Pittsburgh for Sundqvist and 31st pick

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Blues fan here... Pittsburgh, you're going to love Ryan Reeves. Seriously. He gives it his all every shift. He is huge and tough but plays a simple smart game. He's also an excellent skater. He's fast and he is one of the best hitters. He doesn't have a lot of high end hockey IQ or offensive upside, but he doesn't make a lot of bad mistakes. He knows what his job is as a 4th liner and he performs it to a T. Get the puck in deep. Hit people. Make them chase it and fight for it. Get a face off. That's what he does. He's also a ferocious fighter. He's so good at it, that no one will even fight him anymore. He's a beast.

He's also hilarious. He he's super popular with the players, fans, media and community. He gives great interviews. No canned answers from him. He has a lot of charisma and is always having fun. Seriously, you guys will love him and I'm going to miss him.

This was an overpayment for sure, and I'm okay with the return, but it still stings. My hope is the blues resign him when he hits free agency.

All of this right here. I was happy when we protected Reaves, and now i'm bummed we traded him although it will make the team better in the long run.

Seeing Sid's success with grinders throughout his career, I would love to see a string of games with Reaves on his side. With Reaves speed, size, cycle game and not being a defensive liability, I really think it would shock a lot of people how well that could turn out. It sure would deter any questionable hits on Crosby in that aspect as well.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Like I said yesterday, if it was just Sundqvist for Reaves, I would have been okay with this trade. Just 31 for Reaves and 51, I'd be fine with that. But both is just a payment you simply can't justify making.

Other than Sundqvist being one of the few center prospects we have, what did he show this year that gives him any sort of real value?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
tarasenko prob so salty

in a matter of months he lost his 3 best friends on the team
About to be 4 when Yakupov doesn't crack the roster and is on waivers.

Anyways, regarding this trade, you know the Penguins gave up too much when the player they acquired says this:

Jeremy Rutherford‏Verified account @jprutherford 8m8 minutes ago

Reaves: "First thing I saw was, 'It sounds like Reaves is going for a first-rounder.' I was like 'OK, obviously that's a bunch of garbage.'"
https://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/878696697978916864

:laugh:

But don't worry. He is a funny guy for sure so you should all enjoy that part of him. Best of luck to him, great dude who gives some awesome quotes and is very well-liked. He also said this, which just sums up how much of a team player he is:

Jeremy Rutherford‏Verified account @jprutherford 57s57 seconds ago

Reaves "It was a little shocking. The first thing I thought of was all the boys in St. Louis. I truly love everyone of the guys on the team"
https://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/878699069404831744

He truly would take a bullet for one of them. Even if enforcers are going away, nothing but respect to Reaves from me. He's really an awesome teammate. He will definitely do at least a few things on the ice that'll make fans appreciate him.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Question for Blues fans, is there a reason Reaves was used like he was or was it just due to Hitchcock being an idiot? He got nearly 3x as many defensive zone starts as offensive zone starts despite actually having pretty good advanced stats (mostly relative), but he was almost never used in purely a defensive role. Do you think he could hit 20 or 25 points on a 4th line if he's not being used 8 minutes a game while getting a billion defensive zone starts?

I don't see him ever getting 15+ points. He could maybe hit 15-20 if you gave him more ice time, but it wouldn't be worth taking away ice time from your better players.

Pens fans are going to absolutely love Reaves. I really hate to see him go, but if what we got was being offered, I'd have to say yes.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I'll echo what everyone has said. Value probably wasn't ideal for Reaves but he is a really fun player to watch. Pretty much universally liked in St Louis by fans and teammates and will crush anything in his path (and also some things not in his path) on the ice

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't see him ever getting 15+ points. He could maybe hit 15-20 if you gave him more ice time, but it wouldn't be worth taking away ice time from your better players.

Pens fans are going to absolutely love Reaves. I really hate to see him go, but if what we got was being offered, I'd have to say yes.

The Penguins 4th line isn't used like the Blues 4th line, the Penguins 4th line consistently gets above 10 minutes a night and usually falls around 12 minutes a night. Reaves won't be playing only 8 minutes a night here, he's going to be falling around 12, especially if they start using him in a PK role (which I can't imagine they won't).

The Penguins 4th line in the last 2 years has had guys like Wilson (26 points in 78 games, 10:57 a game), Kuhnhackl (31 points in 99 games, 11:18 a game) and Fehr (25 points in 108 games, 12:01 a game) playing on the wings. They use their 4th line more than most teams use their 4th lines, Reaves should be falling around 11 or 12 minutes a game with probably getting PK time.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
How the F was Reaves worth giving up 20 spots?

The 20 spots really mean nothing unless the player STL took at 31 pans out to be a great player. Reaves, unlike sundqvist or the 31st pick, will help the pens now. Value wise we got screwed now but unless that kid at 31 really pans out, it's not a horrible trade. Especially because the D we drafted with the blues 2nd is pretty damn good

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
The 20 spots really mean nothing unless the player STL took at 31 pans out to be a great player. Reaves, unlike sundqvist or the 31st pick, will help the pens now. Value wise we got screwed now but unless that kid at 31 really pans out, it's not a horrible trade. Especially because the D we drafted with the blues 2nd is pretty damn good

Well considering that kid at 31 was a 6'3, 196 lb power forward rated as the no1 European skater there will always be what ifs from some Pens fans regarding this trade. Glad the Pens got a good Dman with that 2nd, and the very best wishes to Ryan Reaves whom I'm really going to miss, really sad to see him go personally.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Well considering that kid at 31 was a 6'3, 196 lb power forward rated as the no1 European skater there will always be what ifs from some Pens fans regarding this trade. Glad the Pens got a good Dman with that 2nd, and the very best wishes to Ryan Reaves whom I'm really going to miss, really sad to see him go personally.

Kostin seems great, but hadn't he dropped from that #1 spot because of his injury?

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Kostin seems great, but hadn't he dropped from that #1 spot because of his injury?

Good question. I thought he was still the no1 ranked European skater despite missing a huge chunk of season with that shoulder injury but I could be wrong.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Yeah, he fell for a reason and not because of talent or off-ice issues. Hope he can stay healthy, but honestly, no matter how talented a player is, Pittsburgh is a damn magnet for injury woes. He would have spontaneously combusted in his first practice as a Pen. :cry::laugh:

Pengyinz

May 6, 2017
I think its a good trade, A lot of pens fans are overreacting, Im guessing Reaves has more than just toughness he will add to the team, im guessing he's a great locker room guy to, the Blues must of had lots of respect and value for him if he was one of there guys on the protected list for the expansion draft.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Reaves is one of the best 4th liners in hockey. He'll be a great intangibles guy for these next few years. Obviously Kostin or Tolvanen would look good down the road, but they are favorites to three-peat. You don't pass on going for that type of historical payoff. Reaves is really underrated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad