Confirmed Trade: [PIT/OTT/VGK] PART II (see OP)

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
The link to the previous thread is here. Just so everybody - myself included - understands...

Any particular reason it was broken up into 2 threads? Tends to be easier to look up something in the archive if it isn't split up.

Still thoroughly amazed that Dorion executed two 3-way trades in a single season. That must be a new one for the history books too, especially of the magnitude the Brassard and Duchene trades are.

Reactions: BHD

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Sooo, Vegas is basicly in this trade to retain brassards salary. And get a pick for it

Yes. Maybe they should have asked for a bit more, but they are essentially getting a free pick for using some cap space they didn't need. This is a good deal for them. Win-Win-Win trade.

Reactions: BigEezyE22

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Incorrect. They also have: 2nd 2017 (Zachary Lauzon) in the "return" column if you are breaking it down like that.

Unclear if people have memory loss or reading comprehension issues when breaking down the Reaves to PIT trade, it's not really THAT complicated is it?

I think for some here, it IS that complicated.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Won't be surprised in the least if the deal is McPhee helping Rutherford out for giving him a 2nd and Fleury at the expansion draft. You scratch my back, I scratch yours

lot of people keep mentionoing that i think it was the other way around. McPhee helped Rutherford for taking Flower and his cap hit off of pens' roster; and he gave a 2nd to McPhee to make sure that he takes Fleury

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yes. Maybe they should have asked for a bit more, but they are essentially getting a free pick for using some cap space they didn't need. This is a good deal for them. Win-Win-Win trade.

I actually think McPhee specifically wanted Reaves, I have no idea why but I thought I read that.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Any particular reason it was broken up into 2 threads? Tends to be easier to look up something in the archive if it isn't split up.

Still thoroughly amazed that Dorion executed two 3-way trades in a single season. That must be a new one for the history books too, especially of the magnitude the Brassard and Duchene trades are.
It would be more amazing if he were the central piece in both.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
lot of people keep mentionoing that i think it was the other way around. McPhee helped Rutherford for taking Flower and his cap hit off of pens' roster; and he gave a 2nd to McPhee to make sure that he takes Fleury

Well that's a pretty smart move considering how well Fluery's played for them. Getting a 2nd for a player he'd most likely would have pick anyway is just icing on the cake.

If you look at this like a future considerations trade then Vegas still gets an early 4th for cap space and a player who didn't crack their roster for picking Fleury.

lol yeah okay.....

What do you mean?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Wow, Pens are unreal now. They were already arguably the cup favourites, and just shored up their biggest weakness (3C) in a major way. Crosby/Malkin/Brassard/Sheahan is one of the all time great centre rotations.

Very mediocre value for the Sens, and I don’t really get why Vegas did this. Amazing for the Pens.

Side note, poor Caps, looks like they’ll be losing in the 2nd round once again (assuming the Pens stay healthy).

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I wonder how much squawking the league is hearing from other GMs about this deal. The first try at the deal was rejected because Vegas was literally giving up nothing to Ottawa. I don't think the changes make it much better, the deal looks shiesty af to me. Vegas essentially enabling Pittsburgh to circumvent the salary cap. As somebody has posted, Pittsburgh gifted them Fleury and we know the NHL is a big old boys network so when Rutherford needed help he immediately cashed in his IOU with McPhee.

That the original deal was rejected is evidence that Pittsburgh was indeed trying to circumvent the cap, I don't think Vegas gave up enough to take that stink away.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Sooo, Vegas is basicly in this trade to retain brassards salary. And get a pick for it
Yeah. What a joke. Retaining salary as a third party should not happen. This makes the NHL look like a minor league outfit!!

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
i like the trade but man pittsburgh has given up a lot of assets to end up with Brassard.

1st 2017, 1st 2018, 3rd 2019, 4th 2018, Gustavsson, Sundquist, Cole for 3rd 2018, Lindberg, Dunn and 40% Brassard

Out of all those pieces who is going to have the biggest influence in our next two cup runs.

It’s Brassard and that 40% retention will help elsewhere

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
That McPhee is a real moron. Using cap space he won't ever need to acquire assets while preventing another western conference contender from improving their team. This is why Vegas is a bottom feeder this year.

McPhee used cap space that is never going to be used otherwise and people are complaining that he spent too much.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Have to figure the Fleury expansion move factored in here.

What's surprising is Dorion and GMGM being this involved in a deal after all the smoke surrounding the Methot situation.

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
You fit the stereotype of HFBoards over-valuing picks and prospects with little to no NHL experience.

would you prefer the term pieces? i didn't put any value on anything i said its a lot of assets, i didn't say quality assets, hell i even went to so far as to quantity over quality. pittsburgh has traded a lot of pieces to at the end of the day acquire Brassard.

Reactions: BillPrep

tankisbad

May 31, 2013
Incorrect. They also have: 2nd 2017 (Zachary Lauzon) in the "return" column if you are breaking it down like that.

Unclear if people have memory loss or reading comprehension issues when breaking down the Reaves to PIT trade, it's not really THAT complicated is it?

It is a BIT complicated. Maybe relax a little?

They still gave up a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad