Proposal: PIT-MTL-TOR

drede

Jul 13, 2023
*EDIT Forgot the Habs are already retaining on 2 salaries so moved the 3rd -> Toronto and removed the 75% -> 50% for Guentzel

I know some Leafs fans think the move is to just let this be a 'play it out' year and not an all-in year but given how weak the East seems this year why not make a big push. With rumors Guentzel only wants 8-9m, the Leafs could probably find a way to make it work (why not have 50% of your salary be your top 6?) and bring him back + Savard has another year left on his deal.

PIT:
Cowan
TOR 2024 1st

TOR:
Guentzel (50% retained)
Savard (50% retained)
Pens 2025 3rd

MTL:
Minten
Leafs cap dump of choice

Leafs shore up defensively with Savard and add a legit LW to play on their top line

Pens add a great prospect in Cowan and a (hopefully for Leafs fans) late 1st for a pending UFA

Habs eat a lot of money and make a rival better but Minten would give them the freedom to move Beck (or Minten again) as part of a bigger package at the draft.

With Tanev off the board, Savard is probably the best fit for the Leafs. I understand cap is going to be an issue but with LTIR stuff, retaining, and one contract going out I think the Leafs could fit both.

Who says no?
Leafs say hell no they give up there best 2 prospects for a rental and bottom pair d

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Honestly, all of these teams say no.

-Toronto is giving up way too much for what they're getting in return
-Pittsburgh isn't going to rebuild and they can probably get a return that fits their goals better that doesn't require that kind of salary retention
-Minten frankly doesn't justify the move for Montreal

Feels like a proposal intended to rile up fanbases more than anything.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
with who guentzel was playing ? with a generationnal player in Crosby all his carreer. do you think hyman would be a 40 goal scorer without a generstionnal player like mcdavid? Pittsburgh didn't won because of guentzel. Guentzel was not even in top 5 of pittsburgh player when they won his only cup. pittsburgh also won it the year before guentzel jump in the league. so please dont tell me pittsburgh won it because of guentzel...

last 5 year 5 goal 16 pts in 20 gm

lindholm 7 goal 15 pts in 22 game.

You're just proving you're clueless and don't know a thing about what you're saying.

Reactions: domaug and 66-30-33

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Guentzel was largely in the top 6 during the Cup run and if I'm not mistaken, set the record for rookie goals in a playoff or came close or something. So yeah, he was a big part of the team in the 17 Cup run.

Guentzel is likely going to a team with an elite center anyway so this "but muh Crosby!" stuff in non-sense anyway. Fans can say that all they want but it's not going to affect a GM's opinion because they will look at 7 solid seasons of production in the RS AND playoffs.

You're just proving you're clueless and don't know a thing about what you're saying.

pittsburgh won it because

crosby had been fantastic
because malkin had been fantastic
kessel driving himself 3rd line
fleury stole washington serie
Murray had been fantastic for rest of playoff

yes guentzel had a big impact but he was not the guy who carrying the team. He was the guy who complete crosby line.

but he still a pretty good top 6 winger but winger rarely bring an elite prospect and a 1st pick. Stone in a sign and trade didn't get as much and for me no doubt hes a more complete player than guentzel

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
pittsburgh won it because

crosby had been fantastic
because malkin had been fantastic
kessel driving himself 3rd line
fleury stole washington serie
Murray had been fantastic for rest of playoff

yes guentzel had a big impact but he was not the guy who carrying the team. He was the guy who complete crosby line.

but he still a pretty good top 6 winger but winger rarely bring an elite prospect and a 1st pick. Stone in a sign and trade didn't get as much and for me no doubt hes a more complete player than guentzel
He was 4th in scoring behind Malkin, Sid, and Phil (who he trailed by two points. And BTW, Kessel was on the SECOND like with Malkin the entire playoffs) and was first in goals by three. What in the good god damn f*** are you talking about?

I mean this is the most polite and courteous way possible but...don't f***ing lecture Penguins fans about the importance (or non-importance) of Guentzel in the 2017 Cup run. We watched every f***ing game. I highly doubt you did.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
He was 4th in scoring behind Malkin, Sid, and Phil (who he trailed by two points. And BTW, Kessel was on the SECOND like with Malkin the entire playoffs) and was first in goals by three. What in the good god damn f*** are you talking about?

I mean, this is the most polite and courteous way possible but...don't f***ing lecture Penguins fans about the importance (or non-importance) of Guentzel in the 2017 Cup run. We watched every f***ing game. I highly doubt you did.
Something something Dubas.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
*EDIT Forgot the Habs are already retaining on 2 salaries so moved the 3rd -> Toronto and removed the 75% -> 50% for Guentzel

I know some Leafs fans think the move is to just let this be a 'play it out' year and not an all-in year but given how weak the East seems this year why not make a big push. With rumors Guentzel only wants 8-9m, the Leafs could probably find a way to make it work (why not have 50% of your salary be your top 6?) and bring him back + Savard has another year left on his deal.

PIT:
Cowan
TOR 2024 1st

TOR:
Guentzel (50% retained)
Savard (50% retained)
Pens 2025 3rd

MTL:
Minten
Leafs cap dump of choice

Leafs shore up defensively with Savard and add a legit LW to play on their top line

Pens add a great prospect in Cowan and a (hopefully for Leafs fans) late 1st for a pending UFA

Habs eat a lot of money and make a rival better but Minten would give them the freedom to move Beck (or Minten again) as part of a bigger package at the draft.

With Tanev off the board, Savard is probably the best fit for the Leafs. I understand cap is going to be an issue but with LTIR stuff, retaining, and one contract going out I think the Leafs could fit both.

Who says no?

Absolutely not. This is way too much to give up for the leafs

I’ll counter with Marner for Guentzel + pitts 1st

You heard it hear folks...1.76 PPG rate is mediocre stats

Anything under 2.0 per is trash stats and worth a late 2nd in a trade

Strangle

May 4, 2009
We better win the cup this year, otherwise we are even more f***ed

We have like 3-5 prospects of decent value, giving up 2 here + another first for a decent defencemen, but not a guy we should target if our mindset is to give up this many asset, and a pure rental who we cannot sign unless he thinks he’s worth under 5 million

In terms of players, I’d love to add guentzel and savard, they couple fit seamlessly into the 1LW with Matthews and Marner and 1RD with Rielly, but I think it’s too much of a gamble for 1 year. We blew our load last year and got 11 games, much rather try to make long term moves that can improve the team for more than one year

in terms of pure value, I think pens get around decent value, maybe a minor pick added

Montreal gets minten, which depends on how they value him could be a bit low, but idk what the cap dump would be, as we don’t really have a traditional cap dump, either you are overpaid a bit, or you rest on LTIR

This, exactly

The Leafs shouldn’t gut their assets this year. They added bertuzzi and Domi to help in the playoffs, and this team needs to prove they are worthy of getting help at all.

Leafs are going to need players like Minten and Cowan to develop and slot into the lineup on ELC’s and they REALLY need to keep picking. Can find defensmen in the 1st or 2nd rounds of the draft.

If the Leafs make a trade, it should be a hockey trade. Not a first and both of your top prospects. That’s crazy

Replace guentzel for Crosby and maybe we can have this conversation at least, but no deadline rental for 3 top assets in your system.

That’s f***ing nuts

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

I mean this is the most polite and courteous way possible but...don't f***ing lecture Penguins fans about the importance (or non-importance) of Guentzel in the 2017 Cup run. We watched every f***ing game. I highly doubt you did.

continu to hope a premium prospect and 1st when winger like stone or hall ( like 1 second and half after his hart trophy) didn't...

the last winger i remembered who bring a value as high is martin st louis in 2014

good luck if your hoping to get the same kind of value for guentzel than what it was the case with a superstar like st-louis

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
This trade isn't just throwing all your eggs in one basket for the leafs, it's throwing in the eggs, the basket, and the chicken coop

Reactions: Mitch nylander

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Well it's disgustingly bad for the two other teams and makes Toronto much better at a minimal cost. OK though, the general sentiment is that this deal sucks.
Not really a minimal cost, this is more than we spent on ROR, Acciari and Schenn

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Not really a minimal cost, this is more than we spent on ROR, Acciari and Schenn
Guentzel is a complete different level than the latter two. That's not up for debate. I think he's better than ROR relatively speaking, given the point in their careers and recent* history. It's not a significant cost to Toronto in my view. And every year, the market changes. It's hard to compare apples to apples.

* At the time of trade

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Habs arent taking a cap dump for an AHLer player
Minten is bae and have have easilly 5-6 better offe sive prospects than yim already

Reactions: HabsAddict

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019

PIT:
Cowan
TOR 2024 1st

TOR:
Guentzel (50% retained)
Savard (50% retained)
Pens 2025 3rd

MTL:
Minten
Leafs cap dump of choice

Who says no?
Pens decline. Not enough for Jake. Remove the pens 3rd and send back a 3rd and its better

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Cowan and a 1st is still a great return. It may not fit the Penguins requirements though. Only Montreal loses in that trade (depending on who is supposed to be retaining).

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
to Toronto
S. Crosby 50% retained + 1st any year in the next 5 year
to Pens
A.Matthews 50% retained + 1st this year.

to MTL
a. Matthews from Pens 50% retained for 2x 1st any year from 2030 to 2035

to MTL s. Crosby from Leafs 50% retained for 2x 1st any year from 2035-2040.

I dont think Ryder Halak and a 2nd would do it this time
hahahahah

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad